PSOF Championships 2013 - Challenge Henley

1,201 to 1,220 of 2,394 messages
04/05/2013 at 14:32

Bike 1 of the weekend done, a slow and v. hilly 52 miles, 4000ft elevation  Avg speed 15mph @ 123bpm avg. Is pretty windy down here today and surprisingly cold. Yesterday it was lovely! Going to attempt my first (short) run in 12 days tomorrow as the foot feels ok. Wish me luck! 

WhizKid    pirate
04/05/2013 at 18:03

UB - nice work chap on the riding... Be real careful with the running and just listen to your body...

Blisters    pirate
04/05/2013 at 22:34

My running's up to distance, having done a marathon for fun last weekend, but I still swim like an elephant, and the bike is way short of necessary distance. Open water has yet to be attempted. I feel like a complete beginner here.

WhizKid    pirate
05/05/2013 at 08:11

Blisters don't worry about the swim too much just work at it steady and it will get there, the bike well as it warm drop the run right down and start gettigf some 80+ milers indo just go for it!

Rafiki    pirate
05/05/2013 at 18:59

Good news - the good old council has been out with the tarmac lorry! Some potholes filled in and the odd bit of re-surfacing!! The 100m or so at the top of Howe Hill with those massive potholes 2 weeks ago is now smooth as a baby's bum!!

05/05/2013 at 19:47

Evening. Good news on the pot holes. 

Well my confidence has been given a massive boost after the pirate HIM this weekend. 1900m swim and 52 miles on the bike with 3000ft elevation. Only did 6 miles run cos I wanted to still be able to walk and get straight back into training. Still only doing the half though cos although I'm sure I can get the distance up, I'm not sure about the speed. Averaged 13.5mph yesterday. 

Blisters - ow swimming is much easier with the wet suit. You'll be grand. 

WhizKid    pirate
05/05/2013 at 20:05

Soup - well done that's great work, the bike is the main thing as that would probably be roughly the elevation of Henley for the half (raf would probably have a better idea off his garmin). I would loveed too have done the DIY half but the travel was a issue really ;(

raf - thank Christ they were not pot holes... Half the blinking road was missing!

05/05/2013 at 20:39

haha yes - some of it was like a dig site from an Indiana Jones film! Good work on the DIY HIM Soup. You've plenty of time to get some speed now. Get some short, hard sessions under your belt. 

First run/walk after foot injury this evening. A massive 4 miles in around 40 minutes. Going to ease back into the running very gently. Foot feels OK currently - the acid test will be in the morning however. Currently rolling a wooden ball under my feet whilst typing this! 

60-70 flattish miles planned tomorrow on the TT bike after Saturday's hilly effort. 

Scuba Trooper    pirate
06/05/2013 at 08:20

Soup - Great news glad you had the boast you needed, HIM this year than another off season to work on you base and you be good for the big one next year.

Raf  - Good to hear the council is on the case, next time we do a recce I will note any more holes and report them to the council once a week until they are filled the last thing I need is a puncture on pothole issue on race day. How long you got left until Lazna?

Badger - Glad the run went well and no issues so far but as you say the morning will be the test. Take it real slow on the recovery the bike work will keep you fit so theres no rush.

Did 70mile in just over 4hrs on Saturday had its ups and downs physically and mentally as it was a bit cold in places and rained in the last 7miles. 2 open water swims planned for this week I need to get use to it soon as possible as I have a race in 2 weeks. Finally got new cassette and chain and a new bottom bracket for good measure too. I went 12-27 in the end and have noticed the extra bit on the hills. LBS repacked the bearings on my back wheel but as its not a cartridge bearing this is a short term fix so now have to think about a new wheel set, any recommendations at the budget/value (£200) end of the market?

06/05/2013 at 19:21

Same for me today Scuba - 70 miles in just over 4 hours. 4000ft climbing. Bike's coming along nicely now. Actually felt pretty good at the end of the ride and definitely could've done more. My neck was aching a little from being in the aero position but my legs weren't too fried. More importantly though, I looked the shiznit in all my fancy gear!  

Rest day tomorrow as I've done over 200 miles on the bike this past week. 

06/05/2013 at 19:24

Ooh budget wheel recommendations at sub 200 notes would be Planet X AL30's or maybe Mavic Aksiums?

Edited: 06/05/2013 at 19:25
WhizKid    pirate
06/05/2013 at 19:25

I was gonna go straight in and say zipp 808's , seriously though eBay has some good deals or some ALXs, it's best too try and shell out as much as possible on a set of good wheels as its one of the biggest areas too make speed increases.... excellent work on the bike mate keep getting the miles in.. Remember mate and I'm talking from experience here the mental game of ironman out weighs the physical part... Your body and your head will scream too stop, you have too push past it mate!

sadly had too work today although managed 40 miles on the bike with a decent average speed, and a great brick run of 9.30 miles in 1 hour 2 mins

oh and 13 hours on the bike this week and over 250 miles clocked

Edited: 06/05/2013 at 19:27
06/05/2013 at 19:34

Sweet bejesus Jamie - you are seriously fast. I shall now only refer to you by the name 'Billy Big Balls'.  

WhizKid    pirate
06/05/2013 at 19:40

Lol I want too one day be as fast as my mate... He can run almost 11 mph average.... I am pretty sunburned I really think the warm weather helps me go a lot faster!

Rafiki    pirate
06/05/2013 at 19:46

Evening - had a pretty good weekend training - cold, short swim on Sat, 102 miles on the bike yesterday (in 5hrs 50 - pretty pleased with that) and 13 mile run today.

Only 10 days left till I fly - all Pirate kit washed today, starting to strip TT bike down and clean it, before packing her away!! Time is running out!!

06/05/2013 at 19:59

Nice one Raf, sounds like you're set. Henley will be a breeze after Lanzarote!

IronCat5    pirate
06/05/2013 at 20:16

Nice one Soupy!

Good training all. If it stays warm I'll drag my arse to the Reading lake this week.

Blisters    pirate
06/05/2013 at 23:56

Crap weekend for me. I spent the entire time indoors, decorating, whilst watching the outside being lovely. You would think that a 3 day weekend should see at least some opportunity to don a bit of lycra. I managed an hour's swimming in the pool on Sunday, and that was it. Not best pleased, but at least the job is done.

WhizKid    pirate
07/05/2013 at 07:15
Blisters wrote (see)

Crap weekend for me. I spent the entire time indoors, decorating, whilst watching the outside being lovely. You would think that a 3 day weekend should see at least some opportunity to don a bit of lycra. I managed an hour's swimming in the pool on Sunday, and that was it. Not best pleased, but at least the job is done.

Booooo I did some of that on Saturday but not all weekend hard luck!

Blisters    pirate
07/05/2013 at 23:37

20 miles beasting on the bike today.

1,201 to 1,220 of 2,394 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.