PSOF Championships 2013 - Challenge Henley

1,221 to 1,240 of 2,400 messages
Rafiki    pirate
06/05/2013 at 19:46

Evening - had a pretty good weekend training - cold, short swim on Sat, 102 miles on the bike yesterday (in 5hrs 50 - pretty pleased with that) and 13 mile run today.

Only 10 days left till I fly - all Pirate kit washed today, starting to strip TT bike down and clean it, before packing her away!! Time is running out!!

06/05/2013 at 19:59

Nice one Raf, sounds like you're set. Henley will be a breeze after Lanzarote!

IronCat5    pirate
06/05/2013 at 20:16

Nice one Soupy!

Good training all. If it stays warm I'll drag my arse to the Reading lake this week.

Blisters    pirate
06/05/2013 at 23:56

Crap weekend for me. I spent the entire time indoors, decorating, whilst watching the outside being lovely. You would think that a 3 day weekend should see at least some opportunity to don a bit of lycra. I managed an hour's swimming in the pool on Sunday, and that was it. Not best pleased, but at least the job is done.

WhizKid    pirate
07/05/2013 at 07:15
Blisters wrote (see)

Crap weekend for me. I spent the entire time indoors, decorating, whilst watching the outside being lovely. You would think that a 3 day weekend should see at least some opportunity to don a bit of lycra. I managed an hour's swimming in the pool on Sunday, and that was it. Not best pleased, but at least the job is done.

Booooo I did some of that on Saturday but not all weekend hard luck!

Blisters    pirate
07/05/2013 at 23:37

20 miles beasting on the bike today.

iron fraggle    pirate
08/05/2013 at 16:00

* bounces in * howdy one and all

Back from a long weekend in Cornwall, we went on a 30 mile very hilly ride on monday, which included going up the hill out of my mum's village which I've since measured at 18-20% mahoossive confidence boost .

Also picked up my new Snugg wetsuit, so will have to brave the lake later on in the week.   Feeling quite good at the moment , just will need to remind myself of this feeling when I'm very tired and doubting myself, which I no doubt will at some point.

Blisters    pirate
09/05/2013 at 00:38

Fraggle: which lake are you planning to brave?

iron fraggle    pirate
09/05/2013 at 07:04

Tri20 in Reading. Blisters

09/05/2013 at 07:34

18 - 20% Fraggle - whooop. 

I had another good dustboy led Richmond Park bike session on Tuesday. We did some sprint intervals and went up the hills in an increasingly bigger gear each lap. I'm watching the lake temperatures. Taplow is 17 so I might toddle along there this weekend. Need to get some ow in before Enduroman half on 2nd June. 

Scuba Trooper    pirate
09/05/2013 at 07:40

Fraggle  -Helloooo, big entrance. Glad you had a good weekend, I love sessions like that, everything seems manageable again.

Raf - Have fun in Lanza, looking forward to the race and party reports. Remember "Finishing is the only fucking option" 

Jamie/Badger - Great bike mileage.

Blisters - You concentrating on the bike now?

Done 3 open water swims now and feel much better about them, mass starts and swimming in a big bunch is still going to take some getting use to. Should be fine for my first sprint a week on Sunday. Any recommendations on anti chaff for the wetsuit?

Blisters    pirate
09/05/2013 at 17:17

Scuba, in my head I'm supposed to be focussing on the bike now, but not forgetting that 10 and 20 mile runs are important. Having said that, this afternoon, I found myself strangely drawn towards Bristol Open Water.

By the time I got to the water's edge the air temp had dropped from 16, and the wind was causing white breakers on the far bank, despite it being a smallish lake. The course was 650m, and the water was probably 12-14 degrees. Underwater visibility = nil. Swimming through the far side was interesting, timing the breathing to coincide with the troughs between the waves. On the second lap it started pissing down, but I didn't notice. I remember Candy or Barlos talking about the morning swims in rough weather being the best ones. I wouldn't have bothered, but two other newbies turned up at the same time, so I was peer pressured into it.

1300m OW done...that sounds good.

10/05/2013 at 20:38

Good stuff. I found out that my local lake opens precisely 1 week before Swashbuckler. I guess I'll get at least one practice swim in this year then! 

Blisters    pirate
11/05/2013 at 18:34

Concentrated on the bike. Did a grand total of 80 miles, my furthest to date. We went out a bit too fast for my liking, and sure enough I started to find it tough on the gradual upflats on the way home (into wind). When we did get back to the roost I tagged on an extra 20 miles to get to my 80. That's when it got wet. Ho Hum.
The back was in an unhappy place, although the legs were fine. Bizarre, because I've always been completely toasted after a group 40/50 miler. I guess that it's to do with pace. Or could it be cadence? This was a topic for discussion on the ride.

WhizKid    pirate
12/05/2013 at 13:08

Hey all hope you have all had a good week

Blisters - nice one on the bike that wind was horrendous :/

Scuba - I have slacked on the OW swims a bit as time constraints, well done on yours though!

personally I have had a recovery ish week, slacked the cycling right off.. Mainly because of weather, but I felt like a little break from week after week of 250+ miles so this week I've totalled about 125 miles on the bike about 30 miles run and swimming wasent really affected, next week is another slightly slack week mainly speed focus and less mileage as its a oly dist race week... 1st of the season!

12/05/2013 at 14:19

Nice one J. I've done just over 11 hours this week. Did a flattish/quickish 50 miler today and a 1 hour run/walk yesterday. Foot's still weird but I feel zero pain when running so I am just going to ignore it I think! Got some exercises from the physio to help with my swimmer's shoulder - hopefully I can get that cleared up asap. 3 weeks till my first race. 11h45 planned this week. Hope everyone is well. 

Scuba Trooper    pirate
13/05/2013 at 18:08

Jamie - Good to see you having a comparatively easy week.

Bagder - Glad the foot is ok, do take it easy if it isn't feeling 100%

Blisters - do you think it might just be that you're getting fitter?

73 mile in 4:30 on Sunday, all of it felt like it was into a head wind then managed about a 4 miles brick run too. I do feel totally knackered today and glad its a rest day. I'm going to have to mix up my training a littel this week and get my long ride done on Thursday so I can have an easier day Saturday before my first ever tri (sprint distance) on Sunday.

Blisters    pirate
13/05/2013 at 23:12

Scuba, good luck for the inauguration. It's fun.

Did some scuba training tonight, after I'd done a bit of turbo bike. Then it would have been rude NOT to use the remaining pool time, so knocked out 800m as a gap filler.

WhizKid    pirate
14/05/2013 at 20:15

Scuba I want too see a race report on Sunday evening or I won't be happy! Good luck mate shame your not racing with me I could shout abuse at you... All helpful abuse...maybe...unlikely......anyway yeah good luck!

Blisters    pirate
14/05/2013 at 22:40

Jamie, you're knocking out some impressive mileages and speeds. I don't suppose there's any connection?

1,221 to 1,240 of 2,400 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.