PSOF Championships 2013 - Challenge Henley

1,521 to 1,540 of 2,394 messages
Blisters    pirate
21/06/2013 at 20:53

I think I need to cut down on the Friday "liquid iron" intake, I think I'm seeing double.
Brooko, nothing personal, but if the List Fairy spots that you've not respected the Queen's Alphabet you'll be in deep shtrubble.

I'll see if I can help you out.

OFFICIAL LIST, as I've just trawled the ENTIRE THREAD

Entries are still open, so anyone who has just had a fun weekend H-I-M can come and join us. 

CH - entered
Barley
Blisters
Brooko
ChallengeCheggers
Fraggle
Gladys
Iron SwissBobby
Iron Dreamer
M.eface
Rafiki
Scuba Trooper
Ultimate Badger
Ultra Cougie
WhizKid

CH Half-arsed
AA
Bedders
Dubai Dave
Shuffle B (Mrs OC)
Soup Dragon

Blisters    pirate
21/06/2013 at 20:56

Training? I think that I have to call it a lie-down week. That's a bit less than a cut back week. 2 runs on heavy legs and er feck all else.

21/06/2013 at 21:45

Thanks Blisters !

Bouncing Barlist    pirate
21/06/2013 at 22:00

Great work pulling up the list of names. 

Sorry ive not posted here very often, I was focussed on Lanza and extremely busy with work to think to much about Henley.

I'll deffo be there and will try and visit the thread more often.

There's not a massive group of us but you dont need numbers to have a good time, it'll be what we make it.

As its the Pirate Championship race we'll be having an awards ceremony the day after the race so please hang around, for those with lifts/staying another night there will be copious consumption of beer.  Not forgetting the highly coveted trophys up for grabs.  Fastest Male, Fastest Female, Best Improver and Best Novice

Edited: 21/06/2013 at 22:02
WhizKid    pirate
21/06/2013 at 22:03

Looking forward too it! I've got that week off and being local too, I'll be the drunken mess in the corner... As I don't really drink its gonna be interesting, raf's already been on my case

IronCat5    pirate
21/06/2013 at 22:28

I shall be on a feed station somewhere heckling you lot. I'll probably crash the PU on the Monday too

Blisters    pirate
21/06/2013 at 23:07

Slowest swimmer?

Newest newbie?

Most embarrassing Grandad? (she'd better not be pregnant)

Gladys is only turning up for one reason.

Scuba Trooper    pirate
22/06/2013 at 18:14

Barley - The camps site I mentioned today was www.swissfarmcamping.co.uk they have pitches for tents/campers and also statics for hire. I've contacted them to see if they will hire them for a weekend rather than Saturday to Friday.

22/06/2013 at 20:51

Well after ducking out of the recce today due to the forecast I struck out on my own and was flying (a weeks holiday appears to have done my cycling legs the world of good)...for about 30 mins. Then I punctured. Then I realised my pump was on the TT bike. Then I realised I had no phone reception. Then I walked miles in my beautiful carbon soled tri shoes. Then I thought f**k it I'm gonna cycle the rest of the way back on a flat tyre. Thankfully, my rim and tyre appear intact! There is a god after all. 

Gonna do the club bike sesh tomorrow morning for something different. Need a solid week this week as my 'build' training is not quite where I would've liked. On the plus side my shoulder appears to be better.

Keep trucking brothers.

Edited: 22/06/2013 at 20:53
WhizKid    pirate
22/06/2013 at 21:28

Good work badger hahaha! Any consolation I have been there, not in that exact situation but I've been there bro.....

Blisters    pirate
22/06/2013 at 22:56

PPPPPP

next time, you'll think eh?

Too many bikes, me thinks.

Seriously, I have a suggestion and query for you all. If you got totally swatted on your bike and were a mess in the gutter, how would a Good Samaritan know who to contact to say that you weren't going to be back for tea? (or worse)
Your thoughts.
Maybe it's  a separate thread, but we'll start it here, and personal.

23/06/2013 at 06:01

I have a little bit of paper in my back pocket that says who to contact in emergency. I always carry this. Everyone should do this! 

23/06/2013 at 09:12

I always have my phone with. an ICE contact. I agree it's a good point to raise and I don't take it out on a run so might do the bit of paper.  

WhizKid    pirate
23/06/2013 at 15:56

So... That's another week gone, another week closer too Henley! So training has been reasonable this week, since last Sunday I have done no running on the advice of cat and others, only managed 5k of swimming due too weird work schedule, as 2x 2.5k sessions, and over 400 miles of cycling... Went a bit nuts as I have a new bike! Back too running this week.... Current plan for Henley at the moment, survive the swim, hopefully same as last year or better 1:20 try and absolutely go mad on the bike and come in sub 5:30 and try and get a 3:30-40 marathon which is doable even in my state at the moment.... Hope everyone else is feeling ok and training is going well... 

IronCat5    pirate
23/06/2013 at 16:12

Good work Whizkid. Do you have the mental fortitude to take another week off running?

Completely unrelated to Henley; I'm now 2 weeks in to my 4 week run break, and decided halfway through last week to MTFU and do some bike work. Committed to 10mi/day during the week, and a tab more at the weekend. So that's 371 km/230 miles for the past 11 days.

23/06/2013 at 16:44

3.5 hour club run for me today with some hard efforts up the hills. I'm fortunate(?) in that the hills down here are decent. Was very windy today! Only 5.75 hours for me this week due to holiday. The holiday and the week when I was ill have really hurt my average training hours for the build period. They aren't going to be much more than the base period! 

WhizKid    pirate
23/06/2013 at 17:33

I probably could take another week off running, in reality how much is this going too affect my run performance, I'm not looking too go mad at any race up to and including Henley run wise, I plan on going for the holy grail of a sub 3 mara in the winter but that's a different story...

badger - 3.5 hours I don't think I have ever run that long, ever.... Nice!

cat - nice bike miles mate I think 10 miles a day is a reasonable amount without compromising too much, if u ever wanna come too newbury or fancy a riding partner let me know... I promise it won't turn into a race....

IronCat5    pirate
23/06/2013 at 17:40

I think it is likely to have minimal impact on Henley, which is still 3 months away. You could do double bikes instead - with the second bike an easy replacement for run? I can't imagine you'll lose much at all over that time.

I'm sure our resident running guru Blisters will have something to add.

It'd be nice to head over your way. I did a long bike last year that ended up going through Chievely and beyond. Gets very lumpy round those parts. The 10mi/day was something to keep me going, and it's nice to see the extra 2-3km adding up. Really enjoying my road bike again.

Are there any TTs round your way?

23/06/2013 at 18:00

As Whiz says, another week nearer. After the first couple of weeks this month (when the sun shone!) were about 300/350 mile cycling weeks, last week (cloudy!) was nearer 150. Hopefully do a bit more this week.

My running is getting there. For no reason other than it seemed like a good idea I've  upped the amount of fruit I'm eating and that seems to have helped. Sometimes it feels like my (tired) legs are all that is holding me back and the rest of me just wants to go, go, go! Having had a month off a few months ago due to knackered tendons - that I put down to not enough days off running - I'm being careful not to overdo it though.

Swim is getting there too. I had a mega, 100 lengths in 50 mins, caffiene fuelled swim on Friday and did another 3k this morning. Tuesday has become OW evening for me (well, I've been three times) and I'm doing about 2 miles (so the Garmin says) in an hour. I'm happy with that.

Marlow HIM in three weeks, a chance to see how it all fits together! (If it fits together).

Hope everyone has a good week this week.

23/06/2013 at 18:32

Not run Jamie - by club run I mean bike. I couldn't run for 3.5 hours! (run/walk for me @ CH) 

Jeez, some of you are putting in some serious training - 300-350 miles a week on the bike? That seems like massive overkill to me. I think I've done 1x200mile week so far, with most in the 100-150 range, though obviously there will be some bigger weeks to come in the peak phase. 

You've got me all flustered and worried now! 

1,521 to 1,540 of 2,394 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.