PSOF Championships 2013 - Challenge Henley

1,681 to 1,700 of 2,400 messages
Rafiki    pirate
15/07/2013 at 08:25

Morning guys - good to see Scuba and Cheggars yesterday - hope you both had a good day. You looked pretty fresh when I saw you on the run (sorry I couldn't hang around till the end - other commitments).

And nice racing Whiz

Rafiki    pirate
15/07/2013 at 12:48

Just ordered new toy to replace stolen bike.....should be fun!!!

http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0155/4753/products/0018_new_1_1024x1024.jpg?1627

15/07/2013 at 13:06

My fixie is a State.

Rafiki    pirate
15/07/2013 at 13:18

They're cool looking bikes - which is obviously the most important thing!!  Never ridden before but its got a flipflop hub so may start off with singlespeed for a while before manning up and swapping for the fixie!

15/07/2013 at 13:28

Yes, actually I should confess mine is single rather than fixed.  The thing I notice is that it's damned heavy.  I have the copper coloured one (Copper 2.0).

Edited: 15/07/2013 at 13:30
15/07/2013 at 13:37

I've got an On-one Pompino which I don't use often. That's got a flipflop hub. It's never been flipped yet though!

Rafiki    pirate
15/07/2013 at 13:48

Guess they will be heavy - steal frame and all! Maybe I'll take the brakes off then, just to keep the weight down  But should be a good training bike though - will be perfect for cycling over to the lake!

WhizKid    pirate
15/07/2013 at 17:38

Dude that looks awesome.... Too nice too go too the pub on!

Blisters    pirate
15/07/2013 at 19:00

I don't get it. My bike's lighter AND has modern stuff like brakes and gears.

Rafiki    pirate
15/07/2013 at 19:33

Brakes are SOOOO last year

Scuba Trooper    pirate
15/07/2013 at 21:30

Marlow HIM Race Report

Pre-Race

Got to Marlow in good time saturday afternoon and registered then texted ChallengeCheggars who’d been around for a while so meet up with him (any family Cheggars) and chatted in the lovely sun until the briefing. Checked out the swim entry exit and the transition areas more nervous than I had been for the shorter tris in the last couple of months. Off to Brother in laws for tea and early night. 4:00am start, what is that all about? Bagels honey and coffee breakfast and into the car for 15min drive back to Marlow. Racking was first come first serve which was fine as I was early and got on the end, then when I went back with last couple of bits and car key, I find extra bikes wedged in on either side, cosy!

Swim 1900m

Started away from the bank so there was plenty of room got in to clear water straight away and it stayed that way the whole time. Did have a couple of knock but usually due to my zigzagging. Didn’t really manages to draft, water was a little to murky to see peoples feet well enough. Felt easy most of the way and about ¼ of the way managed to settle into bilateral breathing. Didn’t know my time til the end of the race but 42:06 was about what i was hoping for. Into T1 (3:11) brisk stroll rather than run, wet suit off without cramp for once. Unracked the bike and long run over the grass to the mount point losing 1 of my 2 bottle on the saddle cages.

Bike (only) 86km

Lost my second bottle on the speed ramps in the first 1/2mile so only left with aerobar bottle, this meant I had to use their bottle drop/pickup which was just water so now my 5 gels didn’t look like enough nutrition. Settled into the pace after about 2 miles having gunned the first bit to get past quite a few people. Must have been 7-10 people fixing tyres in the first 5 miles (burst due to rising temp?). Over took Cheggars half way into first lap and the saw him just after each turn round on each lap. Kept to heart rate low Z2 and let that guide my pace which was about 3:10min a mile which would be 3:00 for 90km (I’d forgotten it was only 86km). Started to worry about running out of drink as I got to the end of the first lap but managed to pick one up at the feed station and settle back into steady pace for lap 2. Not the greatest road surfaces but good to practise Henley up to Nettlebed a couple of times. Again running low on water by the end of lap 2 but managed another pick up. I was planning on being self sufficient but glad I had to practise feed station pickups before Henley. 3rd lap was hard to maintain my concentration and keep my heart rate up as my legs started to complain. Was very pleased to have maintained the pace on the bike and felt strong even at the end. Finished in 2:51. T2 (3:40) given slap on of sun cream, shoe, hat and 3 gels into my tri top pocket and off to the run.

Run

Got out of transition and realised I’d left my Garmin on the bike, had my other stop watch on but no gps/pace so would have to run by feel and given the conditions this was no bad thing, it was now hot! I decided to walk the feed station after 200m do a gel and grab some water to drink and over head. I just settled into a pace that felt right from training it felt like 8ish min mile. I wasn’t sure whether to walk run but when i got to about 10 mins in there was a little hill so the timing seemed perfect, little walk and off again. Followed the same pattern for all four laps but did 2 small walks at about half way for 2 small hills and the feed station near the start. Felt good all the way and splits of 22:32, 23:09, 24:17 and 24:20 shows I didn’t fade to badly.

Edited: 15/07/2013 at 21:32
Scuba Trooper    pirate
15/07/2013 at 21:32

Great Pirate support around the finish area on all of the laps and the organiser on the mic was getting the crowd involved, and there were only 2 of us there in pirate colours.

Finish time 5:14:41 very pleased, plenty of lessons learnt ready for Henley. Long and rambling report as usual.

Scuba Trooper    pirate
15/07/2013 at 21:32

Raf - Nice bike. Ideal number of bikes = n+1, what is n now?

15/07/2013 at 21:52

Well done Scuba. That's some good pace. I reckon you're in for a stormer @ CH 

Blisters    pirate
17/07/2013 at 23:48

Got 15 miles of savagely hilly running in the 30 degree sunshine.

That has got to be better than the freezing rain.

Scuba Trooper    pirate
18/07/2013 at 18:51

Blisters - Nice running

Whiz - hows the calf?

Raf - Recovered enough from Outlaw to start training again? Are you ready for TR 24 next weekend? I'm not going to get there until Saturday morning but once the tent is up and had a cupped I will come and find the Pirate camp.

5hr 80mile on the bike today with 5mile brick. Seem to have recovered more quickly from weekends HIM than the Oly the other month.

WhizKid    pirate
18/07/2013 at 19:29

Blisters I have this image in my head of a angry sweaty bald(ish!) dude running like a psycho up hills... Brings a smile too my face!

WhizKid    pirate
18/07/2013 at 19:35

St - calf is much better, just getting back too running fitness, which I'm finding very hard in the heat! But I am back too running reasonable distances albeit slowly!

i also would like too state I hate the fact you can do a 80 mile bike ride in the week... I only managed 45 today! but great work!

Edited: 18/07/2013 at 19:37
Rafiki    pirate
18/07/2013 at 21:15

Scuba - I'll have you know I managed to train whilst I was at Outlaw - did a few run laps of the lake (just to get rid of the hangover ) - dam boring run course!!

Aiming for a 60 mile bike tomorrow afternoon - should be fun in this heat - but def better than training in the snow!!

18/07/2013 at 21:23
WhizKid wrote (see)

Blisters I have this image in my head of a angry sweaty bald(ish!) dude running like a psycho up hills... Brings a smile too my face!

You have met Blisters, haven't you Whiz?!!

1,681 to 1,700 of 2,400 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.