PSOF Championships 2013 - Challenge Henley

1,681 to 1,700 of 2,390 messages
Scuba Trooper    pirate
15/07/2013 at 21:32

Great Pirate support around the finish area on all of the laps and the organiser on the mic was getting the crowd involved, and there were only 2 of us there in pirate colours.

Finish time 5:14:41 very pleased, plenty of lessons learnt ready for Henley. Long and rambling report as usual.

Scuba Trooper    pirate
15/07/2013 at 21:32

Raf - Nice bike. Ideal number of bikes = n+1, what is n now?

15/07/2013 at 21:52

Well done Scuba. That's some good pace. I reckon you're in for a stormer @ CH 

Blisters    pirate
17/07/2013 at 23:48

Got 15 miles of savagely hilly running in the 30 degree sunshine.

That has got to be better than the freezing rain.

Scuba Trooper    pirate
18/07/2013 at 18:51

Blisters - Nice running

Whiz - hows the calf?

Raf - Recovered enough from Outlaw to start training again? Are you ready for TR 24 next weekend? I'm not going to get there until Saturday morning but once the tent is up and had a cupped I will come and find the Pirate camp.

5hr 80mile on the bike today with 5mile brick. Seem to have recovered more quickly from weekends HIM than the Oly the other month.

WhizKid    pirate
18/07/2013 at 19:29

Blisters I have this image in my head of a angry sweaty bald(ish!) dude running like a psycho up hills... Brings a smile too my face!

WhizKid    pirate
18/07/2013 at 19:35

St - calf is much better, just getting back too running fitness, which I'm finding very hard in the heat! But I am back too running reasonable distances albeit slowly!

i also would like too state I hate the fact you can do a 80 mile bike ride in the week... I only managed 45 today! but great work!

Edited: 18/07/2013 at 19:37
Rafiki    pirate
18/07/2013 at 21:15

Scuba - I'll have you know I managed to train whilst I was at Outlaw - did a few run laps of the lake (just to get rid of the hangover ) - dam boring run course!!

Aiming for a 60 mile bike tomorrow afternoon - should be fun in this heat - but def better than training in the snow!!

18/07/2013 at 21:23
WhizKid wrote (see)

Blisters I have this image in my head of a angry sweaty bald(ish!) dude running like a psycho up hills... Brings a smile too my face!

You have met Blisters, haven't you Whiz?!!

ChallengeCheggers    pirate
18/07/2013 at 21:36

Hi all - glad everyone seems to be going well.

I recovered well from the weekend too. About 150 miles of cycling cycling this week, bit of running (more tomorrow) and a 4km swim (inside!) today. Wish I'd been swimming outside though.

Loving this weather - long may it continue, or at least until next Wednesday when I go to France for a couple of weeks!

Blisters    pirate
18/07/2013 at 22:31
WhizKid wrote (see)

Blisters I have this image in my head of an angry sweaty bald(ish!) dude running like a psycho up hills... Brings a smile to my face!

Yup, that's me.

WhizKid    pirate
19/07/2013 at 17:50

Just got a letter from british triathlon apparently I podiumed at the British champs! Gutted I wasent there for the podium shot! Anyway I got my engraved British triathlon medal in the post ! Was third not 5th 

Edited: 19/07/2013 at 17:50
Rafiki    pirate
19/07/2013 at 17:59

Congrats Jamie!! But be careful, - you might have to give you Pirate kit back - we're not use to people winning!!!

19/07/2013 at 20:27

Nice one Jamie! Well done, you deserve it. 

Blisters    pirate
19/07/2013 at 23:49

Congratulations to the third Brownlee Brother.

ChallengeCheggers    pirate
21/07/2013 at 09:22

Well done Jamie, top result

21/07/2013 at 09:44

Hi all, lost track of this thread a bit. Started new job so can't get on the internet so much lol. 

Some good racing going on - well done to Marlowites and to champ Jamie. 

Fraggle - sorry to hear about your back. 

I've been looking at new bikes.  It started off looking at a new cheap commuter but its somehow grown to test riding a Giant Avail week and maybe a Cyfac the week after. The Cyfac will be way out of my price range but I could just about run to the Avail. Carbon,  Not sure whether to go for the higher grade carbon with 105s, or the lower grade frame with ultegra though.  I'm thinking the better frame then upgrade to ultegra later if I want to. Its about £100 more which will take me to my max budget of £2,000.  They don't do the option of advanced carbon with ultegra, it goes straight up to dura ace at silly money. Not sure I've got all that techy speak quite right but  Dustboy knows what I'm talking about and is helping me out. 

Then my current Specialized Dolce will become my commuter bike. Fun. 

Edited: 21/07/2013 at 10:04
WhizKid    pirate
21/07/2013 at 11:24

Thanks all for the congrats been shoving my medal in various friends and family members faces for the last 2 days haha! 

Soupy! - long time no see I see everything is going well for you which is great! In regards too bike, it's really odd that they don't allow the better carbon frame with ultegra, sounds a bit stupid too me.... However on choice and as the resident cycling geek I would suggest the better frame with 105, now then my reasons are this, ultegra is mainly weight saving on 105 the smoother shifter is neglible.... And as for dura ace unless like me where you enjoy being skint as you have spent your life savings on a insane bike don't even go there! The best way too upgrade your bike would in the future upgrade the wheel set and not the group set, as the weight saving and speed difference will be sod all compared too aero goodness off a set of zipp404's/808's which will be much cheaper then buying a full ultegra group set anyway....

off topic - current progress check, 

swim - same old same old no massive speed increase or decrease

bike - speed and power seems to be increasing and I seem too be going from strength too strength!

run - now this is a something that's really getting on my nerves... I know I've been injured, but its like someone has placed a wall in front of me and I can't get through it, I'm feeling heavy and slow, and I know for a fact it's not fitness.... I don't know could be the heat or something or a loss of confidence because I don't feel like I can push... Hopefully shall improve soon

Rafiki    pirate
21/07/2013 at 13:34

Soupy - what Jamie said!!

Did a lap of the course this morning as part of a longer ride. Seems to be a lot more people out recce-ing the course. I came across the official Challenge Henley groups out riding around - all of whom paid the princely sum of 90 quid for the privilege! If I known, I would have taken them round for half that

It looks like the road down to the first turn around from the war memorial turn is closed for 'road repairs' in August, so hopefully that will be nice smooth black stuff by race day!!

21/07/2013 at 14:28

Thanks for the advice Whizz and Raf. Thats what I'll do. 

My bike training is picking up now. I've got a longer commute to work and there is a shower there so I can go the long way round in a morning. Then I do a few laps of Richmond Park with a mate (and/or Dusty) after work on Fridays cos I work about 4 miles away. Did a good 38 miler the other day, okay not much compared to what I should be doing for a full IM but if I do a few 50s at the weekends too I should be good for the half. Swimming doing okay but having trouble fitting the running in with full time work and hot weather. It might be a 13 mile long walk.

£90 for a guided bike ride!  More fool those that paid. 

1,681 to 1,700 of 2,390 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.