PSOF Championships 2013 - Challenge Henley

1,701 to 1,720 of 2,394 messages
21/07/2013 at 09:22

Well done Jamie, top result

21/07/2013 at 09:44

Hi all, lost track of this thread a bit. Started new job so can't get on the internet so much lol. 

Some good racing going on - well done to Marlowites and to champ Jamie. 

Fraggle - sorry to hear about your back. 

I've been looking at new bikes.  It started off looking at a new cheap commuter but its somehow grown to test riding a Giant Avail week and maybe a Cyfac the week after. The Cyfac will be way out of my price range but I could just about run to the Avail. Carbon,  Not sure whether to go for the higher grade carbon with 105s, or the lower grade frame with ultegra though.  I'm thinking the better frame then upgrade to ultegra later if I want to. Its about £100 more which will take me to my max budget of £2,000.  They don't do the option of advanced carbon with ultegra, it goes straight up to dura ace at silly money. Not sure I've got all that techy speak quite right but  Dustboy knows what I'm talking about and is helping me out. 

Then my current Specialized Dolce will become my commuter bike. Fun. 

Edited: 21/07/2013 at 10:04
WhizKid    pirate
21/07/2013 at 11:24

Thanks all for the congrats been shoving my medal in various friends and family members faces for the last 2 days haha! 

Soupy! - long time no see I see everything is going well for you which is great! In regards too bike, it's really odd that they don't allow the better carbon frame with ultegra, sounds a bit stupid too me.... However on choice and as the resident cycling geek I would suggest the better frame with 105, now then my reasons are this, ultegra is mainly weight saving on 105 the smoother shifter is neglible.... And as for dura ace unless like me where you enjoy being skint as you have spent your life savings on a insane bike don't even go there! The best way too upgrade your bike would in the future upgrade the wheel set and not the group set, as the weight saving and speed difference will be sod all compared too aero goodness off a set of zipp404's/808's which will be much cheaper then buying a full ultegra group set anyway....

off topic - current progress check, 

swim - same old same old no massive speed increase or decrease

bike - speed and power seems to be increasing and I seem too be going from strength too strength!

run - now this is a something that's really getting on my nerves... I know I've been injured, but its like someone has placed a wall in front of me and I can't get through it, I'm feeling heavy and slow, and I know for a fact it's not fitness.... I don't know could be the heat or something or a loss of confidence because I don't feel like I can push... Hopefully shall improve soon

Rafiki    pirate
21/07/2013 at 13:34

Soupy - what Jamie said!!

Did a lap of the course this morning as part of a longer ride. Seems to be a lot more people out recce-ing the course. I came across the official Challenge Henley groups out riding around - all of whom paid the princely sum of 90 quid for the privilege! If I known, I would have taken them round for half that

It looks like the road down to the first turn around from the war memorial turn is closed for 'road repairs' in August, so hopefully that will be nice smooth black stuff by race day!!

21/07/2013 at 14:28

Thanks for the advice Whizz and Raf. Thats what I'll do. 

My bike training is picking up now. I've got a longer commute to work and there is a shower there so I can go the long way round in a morning. Then I do a few laps of Richmond Park with a mate (and/or Dusty) after work on Fridays cos I work about 4 miles away. Did a good 38 miler the other day, okay not much compared to what I should be doing for a full IM but if I do a few 50s at the weekends too I should be good for the half. Swimming doing okay but having trouble fitting the running in with full time work and hot weather. It might be a 13 mile long walk.

£90 for a guided bike ride!  More fool those that paid. 

22/07/2013 at 12:35

Vachery Middle for me at the weekend. Managed to PB the swim, and had a good bike split (2:30) but my weakness at distance running again surfaced as I managed the 20k in 2:09. Started well with a 4:1 run/walk but the second lap was painful and there were a few extended walk breaks. In fairness though, it was bloomin hot!

I need some decent runs in over August to be ready for CH! Even then it's going to be a tough day at the office. 

Rafiki    pirate
22/07/2013 at 14:07

That's a good bike time badger - is that full HIM distance? And was the run time anything to do with over-cooking it on the bike?

Well today has mostly been about building the Fixie what arrived in a box this morning - yeh, new toys!! I must confess the matt black finish, with no decals does look cool

22/07/2013 at 14:32

Nah - I wish! It was pretty short - 46ish miles I think - but two times up Leith Hill. Still, my bike time was 7th fastest (AG) out of 41. My run time was 35th!

I maybe over biked a little, though I felt OK-ish off the bike. I most certainly can't afford to get carried away at CH.

I'm not sure what to do about my run - should I just run more often but short, or should I get some long run/walks in? I will be using run/walk on the day. I don't have a lot of time now so need to concentrate on bang for buck! 

Enjoy your bike, fixie hipster!

Edited: 22/07/2013 at 14:36
22/07/2013 at 14:32

Just back from a weeks holiday....great to read all the race reports - awesome performances from whizz and Badger.

Soup - keep us posted about the new bike...I don't know much about the technical details but Jamie's advice makes sense.

Raf - your new steed sounds very cool

Hope everyone else is well, and training going good.

Rafiki    pirate
22/07/2013 at 15:29

Badger - I would go for some longer, slow runs if I was you, or even long slow run/walks. And that's still a pretty good bike time!

WhizKid    pirate
24/07/2013 at 21:24

Woooooo just done my first time trial race (ever!) with the cycling club.... Came 4th out of 33 was really really enjoyable if you haven't done one I can recommended it! I did fill partially sick after finishing from a avg hr of about 160!?! Really great for bike speed and helping push monster gears... Course was 14.8 miles long done it in 36:17 and it was hilly (sporting time trial) no idea on speed computer on my TT bike broke

Rafiki    pirate
24/07/2013 at 22:01

Just checking if my Pirate symbol re-appears if I post on this thread......

24/07/2013 at 22:09

Sounds great fun, and a fantastic time....my fag packet maths make it an average of between 24 and 25 mph...brilliant.

Badger...great biking too mate...and also your run in this heat was pretty impressive

Rafiki    pirate
26/07/2013 at 08:00

Well guys, have a good weekend training - I'm off to the Thunder Run to stroll around pretty Derbyshire Countryside for a while. Scuba - see you there!!

OrangeCannon kona-5    pirate
26/07/2013 at 09:03

anyone figured out this book yourself on a boat thing yet...???

i am confusedled

26/07/2013 at 09:20

Why do we need to do that OC? I read the race pack and got confused too...

Rafiki    pirate
26/07/2013 at 09:24

What boat thing??? Can we take a boat instead of the swim.....I'm liking that idea!!

28/07/2013 at 18:57

Bit quiet in here? I hope you're all out training. 

Chuffed to have completed my first ever 100 miler today in 5h47@17.2mph avg (7000ft). Paced the whole thing well with my HRM and nutrition was good too. Very very pleased with how it all went. Got another (flatter) one in 3 weeks so would like to go faster next time. Then I'm pretty much done with the biking - I reckon I'll be set!

Just need to sort my running out now!  

WhizKid    pirate
28/07/2013 at 19:39

Nice work badger! Great effort on your first century it's a real mental boost! Weather was a bit dopey today though!

as always my resolution too cycle less and run more failed... It was off too a good start with a 15 miler on Friday... Then cycled too Essex on Saturday 100 miler almost dead on 99 too be exact and averaged 19.6 mph then decided a club run on Sunday was a great plan and ended having a massive hill smashing session with them! 70 miles later I was home again lol!?! Soo I am going swimming and running tommoro and not riding bad bad bad jamie

Scuba Trooper    pirate
29/07/2013 at 09:19

Whiz - Well done on your podium, and always great riding, how is the running coming on?

Badger - The first century made me much more confident too.

What’s all this about boats? I need to check out my accommodation properly too.

Haven't posted much recently due to working and then runners world tech issues whan I have got online. But still mamaging to keep up my training hours.

Did the "Thunder Run" over the weekend and boy did we get thunder, rained for 8 hours 8pm to 4am, i missed most of it as it started to rain as I finished my first 20km stint and stopped just after I started my second 20km stint. Did 5 10km laps in total and really enjoyed it even in the very thick slimy mud. Meet up with Rafi and 4-5 other Pirates too which was a good laugh.

1,701 to 1,720 of 2,394 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.