Question for all you keen cyclists

How many bikes do you need?

61 to 67 of 67 messages
Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
18/11/2008 at 08:31
in answer to richard's post on prev page re summer/winter cars (which I've only just seen) - yep, LJS has a sports car which is registered from April to October and spends the winter in the garage under a cover! 
PSC    pirate
18/11/2008 at 08:37

I would say I was happy with 4 (TT, road, mtb, foldie). Then again I am not sure I fall into the bracket of "keen". More of an enthusiast!
Suffolk Punch    pirate
18/11/2008 at 09:49

I used to have 5 bikes I would use regularly: 

Training (although this was a summer/winter bike, I did have separate wheels with lighter/heavier tyres and different gearing which was so much simpler in the days of 6 speed screw-on blocks)

RR

TT

MTB

Fixie

I currently have 4, but I have compromised here as you'll see.  Unfortunately, my old RR bike is currently in a very sorry state in the shed and in need of restoration (yes, restoration - it's 20 years old now - but still a kick-ar$£ machine!!),

Winter/Training - but only one set of wheels. Yes, yes, I know,  the gear could get corroded by salt so I'll have to buy a new one more often.

RR (currently unusable)

TT (as used during IMCH 2005)

MTB

I feel I do need a new TT bike for the flatter/shorter courses I plan on riding next year and a folding bike (Airnimal?) for when I am away on business and need something to put in the boot. That will bring me  up to a respectable 6 bikes,

Bouncing Barlist    pirate
18/11/2008 at 10:29
What about the green one with downtube shifters
Suffolk Punch    pirate
18/11/2008 at 12:39
I put some toe clips and straps on it....
SluMdot    pirate
18/11/2008 at 16:19

Ok we got rid of our tandem but havin 2 pirates in one house means we have

2 x TT race bikes

2 x TT training bikes

2 X mountain Bikes

3 Road bikes (winter & race)

So we are down from 10 to single figures once more , we rent track bikes when we go

Now wheels .... thats a whole new question

18/11/2008 at 18:44
PSC wrote (see)
I would say I was happy with 4 (TT, road, mtb, foldie). Then again I am not sure I fall into the bracket of "keen". More of an enthusiast!

sounds like most of you are enthusiasts

the biggest "hole" in our/his bike stock seems to be the time-trialler. hopefully he wont decide he needs one of those, i certainly wont be suggesting it!

perhaps i will "let" him have the new bikes after all. now, what can i spend some money on...?

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
61 to 67 of 67 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.