Question on gears....

...from a complete bike ignoramus.

9 messages
TW
04/09/2006 at 13:12
If I want to change the gearing on my bike so that i have more low gears (the ones for going up hill!)..how do I do it?

Can I just change the smaller front ring, to an even smaller one? or do I need a whole new set of ones for the back?

For background, I have a PX chrono which is fantastic for the flatter and quicker routes, but I want to be able to spin my legs a little better on climbs.

Any advice is greatly appreciated..or do I just go to my LBS and ask this same question?

Cheers

TW
TW
04/09/2006 at 13:18
It is not actually "more" gears I want, I just want to expand the range so my lower gears are lower (or whatever the correct term is).

TW
04/09/2006 at 13:22
The quick answer is either a smaller ring on the front or a bigger one on the back. However, your mechs may limit you on how small/big you can go. I suggest you have a word with the boys at PX and find out what they recommend.
JD.    pirate
04/09/2006 at 13:27
TW - you could fit a compact chainset to the bike. gumps did that on his planet x TT bike. that gave him plenty of gears to spin. or you could stick a 14-28 cassette on the back. but that would only give you one more lower gear.
JD.
TW
04/09/2006 at 13:31
How does a compact differ from an ordinary one?

Cheers
JD.    pirate
04/09/2006 at 13:49
compact chainsets are smaller. so, at the moment you probably have a the standard road set up with a 53 & a 39 chainring. but on a compact the gears are more like 50 and 35 or something like that. so you get a load of lower gears but lose some of your top gears. you'll need to change your front shifter as well i reckon. maybe a few other things too.
JD.
TW
04/09/2006 at 14:06
OK..that makes sense...Also been on to PX about what they recommend changing. Currently have a Truvativ Elita XL GXP on the front, which from looking around t'internet seems to be a 39-48 (Is this just the number of teeth on the ring?)..so maybe a compact with a bigger range would do the job.

Cheers

TW

TW
04/09/2006 at 14:10
It is a 53-39 rather than a 48-39.

TW
JD.    pirate
04/09/2006 at 14:16
yeah, those numbers, 53, 39 etc refer to the number of teeth on the chainring.
JD.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
9 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.