quick question re 25m v 50m pools

15 messages
16/06/2013 at 17:37

I've looked around at various other forums / websites. I have come to the conclusion that I must be a bit of a freak when it comes to turning, as my current 400m 25m pool time (6:10) is 40 seconds faster than my current 400 50m pool time (06:50). 

This means for the 8 extra turns, on average, I gain 5 seconds per turn.

Apparently for most other people the difference isn't nearly as big.

It's not as if I'm some highly-tuned swimmer who does butterfly kicks for 15m under water. I just turn around, push over, and start swimming again. 

Can anyone come up with a good explanation - or do most other people (of a similar standard) get similar gains??

Dustboy    pirate
16/06/2013 at 17:41

Interesting, I'm the other way around, I turn REALLY slowly.

16/06/2013 at 19:04

dustboy, you're actually faster in a 50m pool?? 

Excuse me for asking, but do you have 2 legs??

16/06/2013 at 19:08

I think I would be faster in a 50m pool as to turn I have to slow down, turn round and push off again

you might be really good at pushing off the end of the wall

16/06/2013 at 19:35

You have a strong push off (if anything like me). I have massive power in my upper legs (genetics, nothing to do with tri training) and make up loads of time pushing off. I can keep up with swimmers who are faster than me because the beginning 5m of each length I'm flying! 

Admittedley I've not timed myself over 50m compared to 2 x 25m but I've trained with faster types. Coaches have tried to get better swimmers to copy me  

I also have an immense leg kick - presume they are linked? 

Sadly I never do pool based tri's. Wasting my talent *cough*

16/06/2013 at 19:38

Oh and I was a swimmer as a teen but I can't be bothered with butterfly kicking malarky anymore. My thinking being that building on my push off is not going to make me a better triathlete and will waste valuable 25m swimming time! 

16/06/2013 at 19:43
mathschick wrote (see)

I think I would be faster in a 50m pool as to turn I have to slow down, turn round and push off again

you might be really good at pushing off the end of the wall

How fast are you going?! If I stop swimming for half a second I'd sink - no slowing down time required 

seren nos yn canu    pirate
16/06/2013 at 19:46

I am faster in a 50m pool as i also slow down to turn.........I also do not push off hard as I have had achillies problems in the past and nothing irritates iot more than puching off hard at the side of the pool

16/06/2013 at 19:51

I'm faster in a 25m pool as well, I have a lot of strength in my push off so gain time that way not that it helps when you're training to swim for open water or for distance.

Dustboy    pirate
16/06/2013 at 20:57

I have two legs, and, bizarrely, partially webbed fingers and toes. Am still a carp swimmer though. Am not a hard pusher offer either. Get cramp in calves bit too easily on a hard push off.

16/06/2013 at 22:07

medicgirl - I don't swim fast, but do slow down to turn. I am good at pushing off, though, someone once called it my 'secret talent', not sure what that says about the rest of my swimming but I do slow down after my good push off when I start swimming

17/06/2013 at 08:22
Dustboy wrote (see)

I have two legs, and, bizarrely, partially webbed fingers and toes. Am still a carp swimmer though. Am not a hard pusher offer either. Get cramp in calves bit too easily on a hard push off.

Does that mean you swim like a carp?  Lol

WildWill    pirate
17/06/2013 at 08:30

I'm also faster in a 50m pool ... I'm also crap at turning ... but since there are not realy any turns OW it does not bother me 

The Silent Assassin    pirate
17/06/2013 at 08:38

I deliberately don't push off hard as WW says above there are no walls to push off in IM

17/06/2013 at 09:11

I agree about pools not imitating open water but if I don't push off hard my stroke suffers, in a lake there's no interruption of stroke - well not until race day anyway

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
15 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.