RE: Old Road Cycles

6 messages
03/08/2012 at 23:55

Hiya everyone,

I absolutely have the biking bug at the moment (I blame Wiggo, even if it is to the detriment of my running!) and I'm looking at constructing a makeshift cycle trainer in my home out of an old road bike and some craftwork with some steel.  Im hoping that it will assist with times that I can't get out on to the road due to my home life, though I need to do it on the cheap because I am poor - because of my home life.

Does anyone have any suggestions where I might be able to find a second hand, 10 speed road bike that someone wouldnt need anymore for a cheap price that I could use to convert into a cycle trainer?

Thanks everyone.

Ainsleys Dad

Doner Kebab    pirate
04/08/2012 at 08:59

IMO save your money - is it really worth buying and old bike and going to the effort of fabricating a frame for it when you can just go on ebay and get a second hand turbo for next to nowt 

TheEngineer    pirate
04/08/2012 at 12:41

AD, If you're in London or can collect from London, I have a turbo for sale for £60 that would save you a lot of effort

06/08/2012 at 15:03

Thanks Doner - you're spot on; once I get some cash together that seems the best way to go.  Once I do get the cash together, I'll start hassling Engineer

It sucks being relatively poor, no doubt about it. #firstworldproblems #cantaffordaturbo

06/08/2012 at 15:26

I think you may be confusing this forum with twatter!

07/08/2012 at 06:21

Sometimes find them on ebay.

Otherwise, what about your local tip? I've now had 3 bikes from ours for £2 each. 2 kids bikes, bit of rust, but work fine - had to put a new gear cable on one. And an old drop handle-bar racer which needed a new crank - I just used it for parts to get my own old racer back on the road when I first got into tri.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
6 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.