Really Stressed and Nervous (Nantwich Tri)

21 to 40 of 48 messages
08/05/2012 at 15:57

Hi Leanne! Just echoing what everyone else has already said and giving you another vote of confidence here. You should be absolutely fine. I just did my first ever tri two days ago and it was a total blast. I was on a tatty old mountain bike and obviously didn't have much of a clue about what was what yet everyone I spoke to, from fellow beginners right up to seriously fast club members with £5k bikes, they were all lovely, really friendly, really encouraging. One or two of them even said 'well done' as they overtook me on the bike course, then again as they passed me on the run!

The way the slower swimmers get set off first meant that I was finished the whole event when there were still two swim heats to go. I got to watch the winners start as well as finish! So don't worry, even if you ARE slowest, you definitely won't be 'last'. And for the spectators, it's hard to tell who's in what position at the finish line, so even if you did have to walk most of the run, you could still dash the last 100 yards and no-one would be able to tell you hadn't run the whole way. Though even if they could, I doubt anyone would think any the less of you for it.

Just try not to worry and enjoy yourself. Bet you have a great day!

09/05/2012 at 22:22

runs-with-dogs - did you do Horwish by any chance?

09/05/2012 at 22:22

Horwich even!

09/05/2012 at 23:02

Leanne I did Nantwich two years ago as a trial to see if I would enjoy Triathlons, I loved it, my swimming is poor but I can more then hold my own in cycling and running, it was a hard but thoroughly enjoyable day out. The swim was in the outdoor brine pool which despite my lack of ability was not really challenging. What stuck in my mind the most is that triathletes wait for the tail enders (and I'm sure you won't be there unless you get punctures) and they give them so much encouragement and applause, go there looking forward to it, you will really enjoy yourself.

18/05/2012 at 08:36

Thank you to everyone who replied to this message. A week to go and I am feeling a little bit better but still really nervousd. This morning an email arrived with my start time and race number - and I felt sick!!!

Another questions though - my start time is 12.48am which has panicked me as I thought the faster people went later? Is that not the case? I am now worried I might have missed a number off my swim time or something!!! 12.48 seems VERY late to start!!!

18/05/2012 at 08:58

Leanne - You'll find it very well organised the swim time is to keep everyone moving, you'll be lined up to enter the pool, the person before you will go on time and a few seconds later you'll be started, you'll swim alone, in lanes, although someone may overtake you, or you may catch someone in front, but it's not a problem either way. This was run in an athlete friendly way and very enjoyable, one bit of advice, spend time and be prepared at the change area as there is more ground gained and lost there than in the pool.

18/05/2012 at 17:48

Leanne - don't worry about what other people are doing in the swim. If someone wants to get passed you just let them go ahead at the turn. What time did you predict for your swim? And how many are starting after you?

18/05/2012 at 18:02
Leanne Parker 3 wrote (see)

runs-with-dogs - did you do Horwish by any chance?

No, Midlothian, just outside of Edinburgh. Great event, really well organised.

As for your starting time, it depends on what all other events/distances are on that same day. If there are other junior or novice events on first, everything else will get moved back. The one I did, I started at about 10am. With the exact same predicted swim time as mine, in a different tri a week later, my friend didn't start till nearly 3pm because all the junior events were on before the sprint distance.

18/05/2012 at 18:51

Thanks for the replies guys - I called them in the end and I was totally in the wrong wave with fast people!!! So glad I called now. Now I;ve been moved and am in first at a predicted swim time of 19 mins (told you I was slow!!). I'd been put in with much, much faster people which on the day would have totally freaked me out, but all sorted now  

18/05/2012 at 20:23

Leanne I did my first tri last week and loved it! I was in an early swim wave so was there early with loads of other people who were first-timers and everyone was great. There were people of all sizes. THere will be loads of first timers with you, just start chatting to someone when you are setting your stuff up or waiting for the swim and you will realise that loads of other people are feeling nervous too.

You will feel such a buzz when you finish.

19/05/2012 at 00:04

Glad you've got it sorted Leanne. Now relax and enjoy - if you are the first on the swim you've got loads of time for the bike. Don't worry about people overtaking you, just do your own pace and have fun. Its a great course. Once you are off the bike its a simple matter of one foot in front of the other for a few laps of the field then its celebration time.

Dustboy    pirate
19/05/2012 at 00:23
Cake wrote (see)

Leanne that's not slow that's just making sure you look cool in the pool. Time is irrelevant achievement is permanent.

Cool in the pool, luvvit!

20/05/2012 at 21:10

A couple more queries for the ladies...

I have really long hair - what's the best way for me to put it up for the swimming hat/bike helmet etc? 

Secondly, I was planning on wearing my sports bra under and tri pants over my swim suit and keeping my swimsuit on throughout but just chucking a t shirt on over for the bike and run - is that right or should I be doing something else??

20/05/2012 at 21:25
Hi Leanne,
I completed my first novice tri last week. My hair is quite long. I kirbied my fringe back and put my hair in a low ponytail. I then tucked my ponytail under my swim hat. That meant all I had to do was pull off my swimhat and my hair was already tied back and fringe out the way for my cycle / run.
20/05/2012 at 22:18

Leanne - for my first couple of tris I had my bra on under my swim suit then shoved a top and shorts on over the top of that for the bike/run. It was fine and lots of other women did the same. Only got short hair so can't advise on that but what cat says sounds logical.

20/05/2012 at 22:20

PS - I had my number already pinned to my top back and front so didn't have to worry about a number belt. Socks were a devil to get on though. Still struggle with that now although some people put talc in their socks to start with.

Dave The Ex- Spartan    pirate
20/05/2012 at 22:22

or dont bother with socks....

21/05/2012 at 08:24

Leanne - re hair.  It comes down to personal preference. You could have a high ponytail for swimming and cycling, but that depends on your comfort level with a high ponytail under your helmet (personally it makes my head hurt)

I used to have a high ponytail for the swim and re-tie it at the nape of my neck for the cycle

Edited to add - can you do a french plait? Would that cover both the swim and the bike?

Edited: 21/05/2012 at 08:25
21/05/2012 at 10:30

Swim in a monaco and tri shorts, with a sports bra underneath and then you are sorted for the whole thing.

Re hair, I find tying my hair at the nape (ish) of my neck is best. It also helps the goggles stay in place properly. Don't faff in transition

21/05/2012 at 13:23

No, definitely don't faff around worrying about tidying your hair. I did my first tri a couple of weeks ago. I have really long hair and after the swim it was a big soggy birds nest, even having been kirbi-gripped into place and tied in a ponytail. After the bike it was even messier, having half dried in a tangled mess. Really made me envy the bald guys....

21 to 40 of 48 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.