Rear bike light

For £100-160

8 messages
JD.    pirate
11/07/2010 at 04:04
Got a bit of spare money and have been wondering about a rear light.

I already have  a basic cateye flashy one which i reckon does the job of alerting drivers when I'm in shade parts of the road during the day.  But if I head out at night it'd be nice give myself the best chance of being seen.

So, any suggestions?  I think it'd prefer something quick to mount and rechargable.  Weight isn't an issue obviously!  I already have exposure lights for the front of the bike.  I was thinking of getting a white light and customising it to emit red light if that'll be a good solution to create a nice pool of red light (i was thinking it'd be good to have a pool of light on the floor as there's not so much to be gained from purely blinding the driver behind!).

Thanks for your help.

Edited: 11/07/2010 at 04:05
JD.
cougie    pirate
11/07/2010 at 08:29
I'd go for two smart half watt leds - I don't trust just one light on the rear. The dinotte is meant to be good as well - massive pool of red light - but bit pricey for me. You training already for regensburg ?
OrangeCannon kona-5    pirate
11/07/2010 at 09:03
I agree with Cougie - the Smarts are the best rear lights I have come accross
JD.    pirate
11/07/2010 at 10:01

cougie - well i enjoyed my one bike ride, so we'll see.  got a couple of weeks off to relax and get the miles in.

thanks for the smart light recommendation, i'll take a look.

JD.
12/07/2010 at 09:54
another vote for Smarts and try to avoid riding behind someone with one - they are blindingly bright. the only downside is that can be prone to starting on their own - I've had a couple do that but have been replaced. the LBS have seen a few back with this issue and it seems a bit hit and miss

12/07/2010 at 19:55
smarts are great - it's almost the standard on TT bikes. Also fibre flares are great as they give a large area of visibility.
JD.    pirate
12/07/2010 at 21:00

is it the superflash one good?

Smart Superflash Ultra Bright Rear LED Light

on today's ride i was a little worried when i headed into forest sections on the busy roads.  would be good to ahve a decent light soon.

JD.
OrangeCannon kona-5    pirate
12/07/2010 at 22:01
i just use mine in constant- its really bright, and lasts me 2-4 weeks in winter. I use a second old cateye on flash.....

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
8 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.