Recovery - suggestions?

Finished an ultra marathon yesterday, so which is best active recovery, swim, bike or stretch?

3 messages
MTri    pirate
21/05/2012 at 14:30

Finished my first Ultra marathon yesterday, 50 miler, and started my recovery immediately. Compression on, well fed, with a good intake of carbs and protein, kept mobile for an hour or so, and then an early'ish night, and a good'ish sleep.

Easy day today, making sure I keep moving

Monday night is usually swimming, so an easy swim? Although, others say an easy bike ride, small chainring, flat route would work wonders, and keeps the legs moving rather than dragging them behind me in the pool. Others have said, as no stretching immediately after an Ultra is advised, 24 hours later a good stretch session could be worthwhile.

Running as definite no go area at the moment. Not too sure if I'll have toe nails in the single digit soon.

I've got about 1 1/2 to 2 hours this evening, so how do I get the maximum benefit, swim, bike or stretch?

Edited: 21/05/2012 at 14:32
ChallengeGoGoGas    pirate
23/05/2012 at 23:21
Just seen this i've read lots of ultra books and bike seems to be the preferred active recovery method... How did u get on? What did you go for?
24/05/2012 at 09:14

Triumphant, I have nothing to offer in relation to your question but am in awe of your achievement.  I am all in favour of pushing things to the next level but when it comes to running, 26.2 is about my limit.  Anyway, massive congratulations.  I hope you recover well.

Rw

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
3 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.