Retirement from IM

21 to 35 of 35 messages
cougie    pirate
07/03/2012 at 17:03
Yes don't see it as retirement - you're just dropping down a distance.
Hope it all goes well and enjoy the rest !
meface    pirate
08/03/2012 at 22:04

Actually you are not retiring at all - and never will.

You can be out injured from IM for the rest of your life. At 117 you can tell people I would be doing an IM this year but I'm injured!

And Olympics are fun, they just hurt more! 

Wish you a speedy recovery, and it gives you an opportunity to look for some new challenges.

M.eface

Dustboy    pirate
09/03/2012 at 00:07
((((()))))

IW, a force to be respected, always...
Orca    pirate
09/03/2012 at 08:46

You'll be a swim Goddess after all that swimming.

Besides, I wouldn't bet my house on you being retired from IM. Maybe not in the near future but you're a woman who likes to push boundaries and if they tell you that you can't, you probably will if you want to!

In the meantime though, hope all goes well and wishing you lots of luck with the op and a swift recovery.

09/03/2012 at 19:37

I wouldn't bet my house on it either.  I've met enought people at races who've hip implants to know that would be a very unsound bet.

Enjoy the swim and recover well Wolfy.

WildWill    pirate
09/03/2012 at 19:43
IW

MRS WW says ...

She hopes that all goes well with op and you get back on your feet soon

x
09/03/2012 at 20:00
I was lapped during a half IM by a man with a hip implant.
Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
09/03/2012 at 20:49

many thanks for all the good wishes, folks. I know I'll be back - just probably not at long distance any more. This may be partly genetics (my Dad had hip trouble) and maybe also my 45 completed  marathons. Looking forward to testing myself at some shorter distances. My surgeon asked why don't I try some duathlons - the short answer is I have and I'm too slow at running. But maybe I can get some speed back - after all, many many years ago I started my athletic life as a 100m hurdler!

The Cologne 12km swim 3 days before my op will be a real challenge.

M...eldy    pirate
09/03/2012 at 20:55
Its another stage of the journey Wolfie .. enjoy it !!
09/03/2012 at 21:19

You'll be back doing something, 12km swim before your op says it all and how many people can say they have done 45 marathons?

Looking forward to seeing you for the channel.

11/03/2012 at 16:14

Oh definitely, you can count on me for that!

11/03/2012 at 16:34
Ultra Ironwolf wrote (see)
Ta seren - I'm just about to email the people in Cologne and ask them to swap me into the 12km swim instead of the 2km swim/14km run I'm entered in. It's the weekend prior to my op.

Good luck and get well soon Ironwolf! I hope that everything goes well. Just out of curiosity - what event are doing in Cologne for 2km swim/14km run? I'm a regular "Koelnerin" so am always looking for good events to combine in a weekend there.
Razor51    pirate
11/03/2012 at 17:19
IW........((((((big hugs)))))) ......heal well and I'm sure you'll be back soon.
12/03/2012 at 12:12

Thanks Razor.

Emmy_Bug - it's the Cologne Swim and Run on the weekend of 17th June - there's the 12km swim, a 1km swim/7km run, 2km swim/14km run, 4km swim/21km run, a kids triathlon, and the European sprint triathlon championship. Held at Fuehlinger See which you probably know well. Let me know if you enter something, will be nice to meet up there. We always overnight at the Ibis Hotel in Leverkusen, terrible location but cheap, plus it's close to the race venue.

Same place also for the Cologne Triathlon weekend in September, sprint, middle and long tri, plus a crazy 226+ race which is a combo of the sprint plus the long distance! I've done the middle distance and LJS did the sprint.

12/03/2012 at 12:44
Hi Ironwolf - Yes, I know the Fuehlinger See quite well... I didnt realise that it was that weekend. Thanks for letting me know - i'll look at the September one (I'll be running the Koln half marathon on October 14th so it'll be a nice cross training).

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 35 of 35 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.