Return to Taupo

IMNZ 2012

61 to 80 of 200 messages
Trogs    pirate
20/02/2012 at 05:14
Oh dear, I seem to have managed to sunburn the top of my feet!
Edited: 20/02/2012 at 05:17
Trogs    pirate
21/02/2012 at 23:15

Someone's nicked the sun and it almost rained when I was out on a little run this morning.  I wish it had cos it was a bit sticky.

Managed a very nice 45 mile ride yesterday on fairly quiet roads, some of which were silky smooth, the rest were similar to UK but without the potholes.  One of the great things about riding around here is that most of the main(ish) roads have a nice wide shoulder which means you are separated slightly from the traffic.

Hoping to get down to a local lake for a swim tomorrow then repeat the cycle ride on Friday and maybe again on Monday.

Bad news from Happychap in Taupo, she set out for a bike ride after reassembly the bike and one of the cranks came off

M...eldy    pirate
21/02/2012 at 23:34
Oh noo !!  Is it mendable?   Too much effort getting them pedals off I suspect !!!

Glad it all sounds fun down there .. all set for race day?
Trogs    pirate
22/02/2012 at 06:34

New crank on order but didn't arrive today. I'm guessing she went to the local AvantiPlus bike shop in Taupo and, as Avanti are bike sponsor for the event, I'd hope they'll get it sorted sooner rather than later.

To add insult to injury, apparently it's been persisting it down all day in Taupo and Toucs is leading the team Run to Live cribbage tournament by some margin!

As for being set for race day, I've got a pretty accurate idea of how much it's going to hurt and I've only got myself to blame for that

22/02/2012 at 09:36

Ah, big bottom brackets (((()))) for Happychap's crank.

Glad you're all settling in well, and that the emergency training is going well

22/02/2012 at 09:40
hope HC gets her crank sorted out - had she taken it off to pack the bike?? you don't need to remove the cranks to pack a bike box - pedals yes, cranks no
Orca    pirate
22/02/2012 at 10:02

Oh that's a nightmare on the crank, hope it gets sorted soon.

Can't believe the race is upon you already, it seemed so far away when we were in Regensburg. I'll be tuned in to see how it goes.

Trogs    pirate
22/02/2012 at 20:27

Only pedals removed for packing - by the LBS in the end I think.

I may be reporting inaccurately here cos I'm not sure exactly what broke - text said ".. at 5 miles one of my pedals fell off, new crank ordered ..."  so it may just be the screw threads are shot. Not that it makes any difference, still needs a new crank to sort it.

Plan for today is a spot of OW to remind myself how to swim in a wetsuit - and how to sight.

M...eldy    pirate
22/02/2012 at 20:37
Are you lot stayin in the same place then??  
Trogs    pirate
22/02/2012 at 20:56
At the moment I'm staying with friends in Auckland, HC and Toucs already firmly settled in Taupo.  I'll be heading for Taupo next Wednesday, with friends in tow, and staying about a mile from team R2L HQ.
M...eldy    pirate
22/02/2012 at 21:08
Ahaaaa  tis all clear now  

makes for very strange reading as I thought you were all together, had visions of you all sat on the same sofa texting each other !!   (that reminds me of an old post FLM photo in the pub with leppie and Cougs and others doing just that !)
Cheerful Dave    pirate
22/02/2012 at 22:22
Sounds like someone stripped the threads putting the pedal back on.  Hope it gets sorted, at least it's an excuse to get the LBS out there to double check everything's on tight.
Trogs    pirate
23/02/2012 at 10:24
Lol Meldy, understandable confusion!

My bike passed its health check today. My helmet did not; I've obviously dropped it on the floor once too often and it has a slight crack which I hadn't noticed. There's my something new for race day then

Went for a little ow swim in a mostly weed-free sailing lake. Pleasantly surprised to find wetsuit seems slightly more comfortable than I remember it being last September.
Orca    pirate
23/02/2012 at 18:20

What was the water like?
Hope the long range forecast is predicting pleasant weather for you.
I thought I was going to get done for my helmet in Regensburg as my aerohelmet wasn't as tight as the checker would have liked (even though it's the smallest available size set to the tightest setting) and I thought she was going to say it wasn't tight enough.

meface    pirate
23/02/2012 at 21:50

Good luck to Team R2L and Trogs.

OrangeCannon kona-5    pirate
23/02/2012 at 22:32
any idea what time they go re GMT..??
Trogs    pirate
24/02/2012 at 02:01
Pro's start Friday 2 Mar 1745 GMT, rest of us off at 1800. 17hr cut off = Sat 3rd 1100 GMT

Ironman dead coverage throughout, allegedlly
Trogs    pirate
24/02/2012 at 02:08
Orca - the water was lovely though suspect Taupo may be marginally cooler being a much larger body of water.

M.eface - ta
M...eldy    pirate
24/02/2012 at 19:24
Ohh good, thoughht it was this weekend!!

Next weekend I think I may well be on nights which will work well  
Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
24/02/2012 at 20:06
Oh good, Meldy, then you can post everyone's progress while the rest of us get our kip!
61 to 80 of 200 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.