Return to Taupo

IMNZ 2012

141 to 160 of 197 messages
03/03/2012 at 21:47

I'm on the Ironman Live video feed. So far I've seen an empty transition field, and an advert for that shallow turd Olly Murs's latest dross.

So to be fair it's considerably better than normal.

ChallengeGoGoGas    pirate
03/03/2012 at 22:30


Feed seems pretty good on this site...

Edited: 03/03/2012 at 22:31
03/03/2012 at 23:08
Gooooooooooo pirates idea on timings.....are they done yet?
04/03/2012 at 04:54
Oh deary dear.

We're all still alive, some just. An exciting day. And a very long, dull race report to follow.

FYI Trogs transition time in T1 was long enough for her to go back in and do the swim again ;0). What were you doing?

Mine was longer but I have an excuse innit, and no, I didn't lose my bike.

M...eldy    pirate
04/03/2012 at 05:59
I cant wait to hear this one   
Gyraffe    pirate
04/03/2012 at 07:46
Well done you lot. Looking forward to the gory details.
ChallengeGoGoGas    pirate
04/03/2012 at 09:02
LOL! Well done guys!
04/03/2012 at 09:34
Well raced guys
meface    pirate
04/03/2012 at 20:57

Come on - where is the report. Taking longer than Trogs T1 this is!

Well Done

04/03/2012 at 20:57

Well that was fun.  Really odd feeling, almost like a poorly planned training session.  Don't get me wrong, the event was well organised, but mentally it was hard to do.  Pacing and nutrition were total guesses, but in my case it sort of worked.  Drafting was inevitable on that course, in those conditions, and I let it get to me which is a lesson learn't.  Hard when you're strong cyclist though, and have 15-20- people say 1m (or less) behind you for 40k.

 I shouted to 2 pirates, although they had no idea who I was either on bike /run / or afterwards.

 So, accommodation alrady booked for next year, so that makes planning for next year easy.. 

Trogs    pirate
04/03/2012 at 21:33
Hmm, not sure what i was doing in T1 for that long <insert embarrassed smiley>
Rubbish swim, poor pedal, satisfactory run. Spoke to quite a few people who had a bad day; for me on the basis of yesterdays performance, the full iron would have been a spectacular fail.

Noted a few 'go pirate' shouts so if that was you Dunc, thanks.

Proper report when i get access to a pc/laptop.
04/03/2012 at 22:23

Well done everyone.  Must be hard to motivate yourself after the let down of the full event. Looking forward to reports.

04/03/2012 at 22:35

I was wearing black arm warmers and a blue and white gillet on the bike, black trisuit and white hat on the run, then stood near the 'baywatch babe' after I'd finished. 

Glad you finished, was all that yesterday was about. Estimating 'what if's of the full is a dangerous thing to do, and also a bit pointless.

04/03/2012 at 23:08
Thanks for the cheer Dunc. TBH so many people we're shouting go pirates I guessed one of them had to be you :0)

Feeling a bit sore this morning. And by dog the sunburn hurts. The shower was excruciating.
04/03/2012 at 23:40

Feeling ok today.  Heels a bit bruised from teh Swim>Bike transition.  SUnburn - be careful with the NZ sun, it's pretty evil....perhaps a bit late to point that out

Wishing I wasn't at work though.  Long drive after the awards party means I should sleep well tonight, althoguh I've got to do my unpacking and get my road bike ready for the club ride tomorrow night....

05/03/2012 at 03:22
I'm afraid you're going to need cup of tea for this one...
05/03/2012 at 03:27
Seven years ago while on our honeymoon Toucs and I drove through a very wet and windy Taupo on route to Napier.  It looked beautiful, even in the rain.  Once we found out IM New Zealand was held there, it was a bit of a done deal that we'd come back and have a go.Three years ago Trogs made the trip out to do it for her inaugural IM.  She raved about it, so with Toucs retiring for real work and both of us having significant birthdays this year.  It would be rude not to. 

Training was intermittent over the winter to say the least and it wasn't without some nerves we packed and headed out to NZ for a long overdue holiday.The plan was to base ourselves in Taupo and familiarise ourselves with the route, taking in the opportunity to bike a few more miles before race day.

We unpacked an reassembled the bikes.  It didn't take long to realise I had no idea how to put the rear mechs back on so we popped them in the back of the car and pootled down to Taupo centre in search of a friendly LBS.  We came across 'Top Gear' cycles.  It looked friendly enough and had enough bling in the front window and enough kids with baggy shorts and big calves to convince us they knew what they were doing.  It took the mechanic all of about 30 seconds to assemble everything and check over the gearing and they dispatched us on our way with a cheerful wave.  We would soon be on first name terms with all of the staff, and they would be naming their first born after us in honour of the amount of time and money we would spend there.

The next morning we put the pedals on and went out for a recce of the run course.  After about four miles my right foot slipped out of the pedal.  Very bizarre.  So I clipped back in and the same thing happened again.  The third time, I heard a clunk and left the pedal on the floor.  Not having a pedal on your bike makes it much more difficult to ride.  Carefully unclipping the left, with the pedal retrieved I started the long slog back up the hill to the camp site.

Looking at the crank arm I could see lots of metal filings, my heart sank.  I had a horrible feeling this could be expensive.  This was confirmed back at Top Gear when we looked at the options which were basically either lots of glue to hold the pedal in or a new crank.   Two days later, crank all fixed, pedal inserted correctly Toucs and I headed out to have a look at the bike course.  The right pedal kept unclipping on every upstroke.  It made it very difficult to ride so we turned left back done the hill into Taupo and back to Top Gear.  A quick look at the cleats showed they had been completely worn away.  What should have been an easy two minute job turned into half an hour of sweat and toil with a hack saw.  There was no way the old cleat was coming off.  

A new set of shoes later and off we went again.  We did a partial of the out and back course following a route back into town and up the only real hill back to the camp site.  Half way up the hill I heard a massive BANG and felt the rear wheel deflate.  FFS!  The tyre was completely shredded, as was I by that point.  On our trip to Top Gear this time we asked them to remove whatever voodoo curse they had inflicted on us then replaced both tyres with Kevlar specials.

The next day my credit card disappeared.

 I can only assume it left in disgust after being abused for the week.  Frantic calls to the Halifax cancelled the card but since I failed all of their security questions they refused to send me out another.I couldnt shake the nagging feeling that someone was trying to tell me something.
05/03/2012 at 03:31
After this I refused to go back out on Piri until race day.  If anything exploded then, so be it.  The weather in Taupo had been an interesting mix of glorious and terrible.  The Saturday before race day was torrential rain and strong winds.  Without a hint of irony we discussed with relief that it wasn't on that day.  A couple of days later we started weather watch in ernest.  It didn't look good.  The news was reporting the possibility of a 'weather bomb' exploding on the Saturday.  A low front travelling in with strong winds and heavy rain.

 In Taupo itself, the Ironman bandwagon started.  Each day brought more erections to the Ironman village and more bling and Lycra combinations.  Its astounding how many people wandered around Taupo dressed head to foot in Lycra and no sign of a bike.  But there you go, each to his own I suppose.

As the weather forecast got progressively worse the more nervous we got.  The rumours around town were that they would cancel the swim and make it into a bike/run but all would be told at the pasta party and briefing.

They made a great effort at the party to get everyone into the mood.  With an impressive display from a Maori tribe and the voice of ironman mike Reilly telling everyone inspiring stories, but something wasn't quite right.  The worried, resigned faces of the organising committee and underlying tension of the announcement they would make put a bit of a dampener on the whole thing.The race committee went through the motions until eventually the race director stood up to make an announcement.  Waving a sheet of paper issued from the met office the room suddenly became absolutely still.

With heavy sighs, the following announcement was made.  Heavy winds with gusts of up to 100km/hour and torrential rain were expected to start on Friday night through to Saturday.  Contingency plans were in place with options of either dropping the swim altogether or shortening the swim course.  There would be further briefing the next day at 4pm.  If it was not possible to hold the bike, there would be no race.  The possibility of holding it on the Sunday was discounted due to lack of volunteers, and people travelling to the race who then had to go home on the Sunday.

4pm the next day we we ushered back into the hall for the interm meeting.  It was apparent from the grim face of the race director it wasnt good news.Waving another piece of paper the information from the met office was that the storm was forecast to be worse than they initially expected.  With gusts of up to 140km/h expected it was not safe to swim or cycle.  The army and emergency services were on standby to assist the region in what they expected to be one of the worst storms in Taupos history.  There was to be no Ironman race on Saturday.  Boos quickly started from the back of the hall.  Idiots, I'm not sure what they expected them to do.

She held up her hand and continued.  They were hoping to be able to put on a 70.3 on the Sunday.  They had managed to get road closures at short notice and a significant number of volunteers had made themselves available for Sunday.  There would be a race assuming the weather would not wreck Taupo in the meantime.  Then we were told to go and get our bikes as they had to close down transition overnight.  I've never seen so many people run so fast to go and rescue their pride and joy.  Outside the wind had got up and rain had already started to fall.

In the end the storm hit south of the island.  The winds were really bad here and I think we were all pretty grateful the race was postponed.  Taupo had a very strange feeling to it all day.  Transition itself looked very empty and forlorn and there was a huge sense of waiting.That days briefing, at 4pm confirmed the 70.3.  With some amendments to the route they would attempt to keep it as close to the original as possible.
05/03/2012 at 03:48
The alarm went off at 5 am, with a groan, we got up and went through the process of breakfast and loading the bikes into the car.  We found a car park space easily, headed through the tent for body marking then off to transition to re-rack the bikes.  I've never seen so many disc wheels and pecker helmets in one space, it was really intimidating and not for the first time I wondered what the hell I was doing here. With a couple of hours to chill we found chairs in the marking tent and watched everyone faff around us while we tried to keep warm. Wetsuits were donned with just under an hour to go.  We made our way down to the lake side to dump the pre-swim bags and watch the elites go off at 7.45am.  The temperature of the water was a balmy 15 degrees.  Cold but actually much warmer than the air temperature!  I put my feet in the water to warm them up which it did, until they turned back to blocks of ice.  It was the last I would feel of my feet until the run.

The elites were off with the sound of a canon.  Watching the age group men head off to the start I waded in and had a quick wee before breast stroking my way to the start.  The lake had looked flat and serene from the bank.  Once in, it was a decidedly different matter.  The swell was substantial and made it difficult to see the bhoys at the turnaround.  Not being the strongest swimmer in the world it freaked me out.  But moreso I felt for Toucs knowing that he gets seasick in much calmer waters than this.  Trying to put it out of my mind I watched the men waiting for the off.  Expecting another cannon fire, there was confusion when a horn went off.  About five seconds later someone figured that was that and started swimming.  He must have had a ten second head start before everyone followed.

We lined up ready to go, the swell making me more and more nervous until the hooter sounded and off we went.  The plan had been to start with the leaders and hang onto someone's feet but since there were so few of us, they headed off before I could get myself into gear and very soon I found myself on my own once again.  It was terrible.  I couldn't see where we were supposed to be headed, the swell was making me feel sick.  Once or twice I nearly got bowled over onto my back by the waves.  It was such hard work to make any progress.I stopped to see if I could find a landmark to sight to.  The was a hill behind what looked like the first turnaround marker so heading for that I resolved together my head in the water and try and ignore everything going of around me.  About a hundred yards away from the turnarounds saw a motorboat head out to a canoe and wondered if they were pulling Toucs out of the water.  Hoping he was still ok I ploughed on and reached the half way point with relief.

Coming back was even worse.  I got more and more fatigued and freaked out until I hoped beyond hope I'd missed the swim cutoff of 1.10 and could retire gracefully.Turning for shore meant the swell was finally with us.  I kind of surfed back to shore with some arbitrary strokes until I could get my feet down and stagger out.  The time on the clock registered 1.17 but was started when the elites went off 15 minutes before us.  1.03 damn it.  I'd have to continue.  The run to transition was a long one along the harbour road before climbing a steep set of stairs.  All along people were congratulating and encouraging.  It was to set the trend for the day.  I barely had the energy left to thank them.A helper was waiting with my bag at the top of the stairs and ushered me into the change tent.  She was amazing, helping me get the wetsuit off, put my clothes on and applied sunscreen.  I left the change tent with Toucs on my mind.  Hoping he would be ok.
05/03/2012 at 04:01
 There'd were very few bikes left in transition and as I made my way to mine I heard the tannoy announce the swim cut off.  There were three people behind me who made the cutoff.  It turns out that 11 people were pulled out of the water in distress of some kind.Two rows down from Piri Toucs bike languished lonely on her own.  He would have made it out of the swim comfortably in front of me so I knew he must be in trouble.  I asked a marshal what would happened to those pulled out of the swim.  She didn't know, so I carried on asking until I found someone who would make enquiries.  

Eventually, after two laps of transition we found a small tent, looking in I recognised Toucs lying in the recovery position on a pallet with a blanket over him.  I asked him if he was ok, he replied that he was and he just needed to sleep.  Satisfied that he wasn't at deaths door I asked him if it was ok for me to carry on then left him to it to reclaim Piri.  The commentator enthusiastically kept informing people that I had lost my bike and reminding us the was a bike cut off in force.  He seemed delighted when I eventually turned up at the mount line with Piri.  With only a handful of bikes left in transition he must have thought I was a right old doozy. T1 17.50

So onto Piri and off on what is normally my strongest leg.  I love being on the bike.  I love the sense of freedom, of feeling strong and light and fast.  And the fact the swim is behind me.  But today I had nothing.  I dunno if it was the stress of the many bike mechanicals, the credit card, the swim, worry about Toucs or what but it was as if my legs just hadn't come to the party.

 Oh goodness, now what to do.  I just kept repeating don't panic, keep calm and tried to get some fluid in.  After about a mile we hit the hill up to Broadlands Road.  It's not that bad and I'd ridden it about five times in the last two weeks but the urge to get off was overwhelming.  I had an insatiable thirst and felt really sick.  Up ahead I saw someone dismount and start walking and that spurred me on to keep going.  Dropping it into granny ring I pedalled with a goal to catch her which I did very soon.The road eventually flattened out enough for me to put some nutrition in.  I opted for a caffeine GU gel.  It was disgusting.  Eventually forcing it down with Nuun I mouth vomited for about the next 20 miles.  I must have eaten that gel about five times in the end.  I then turned to my stash of peanut M&Ms, much more palatable.  

After about five miles I hit a downhill bit and started to feel better.  On my jOGLE ride about 10 years ago I learned that no matter how bad things got it was always possible to keep pedalling and took strength from that.  Toucs had said days before that it was a course to really ride my strengths and knowing that the winds often strengthened into a headwind on the way back my only hope was to gain as much time as possible on the out leg and hope it was enough get me back to town under the cut off.I pedalled as hard as I could.  I was pretty much last out of T1 but soon started picking off people.  I was excited to see the elites coming back to town but couldn't make out who was who.  Huge swathes of cyclists followed them.  So much for no drafting.  Groups of up to 100 at a time whooshed past making no effort to spread out.  No wonder some of them looked so bloody cheerful.Head down, arse up the time passed quickly.  The speedo had died again so I had no idea what speed I was doing.  It felt over 20mph but all I could do was make as much progress as possible and keep take on nutrition.  
141 to 160 of 197 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.
Forum Jump  

RW competitions

RW Forums