Return to Taupo

IMNZ 2012

161 to 180 of 196 messages
05/03/2012 at 05:51
Run 2:58:58

It wasn't an Ironman but to me, it felt like it had been.  It was the hardest race I have ever done.  I felt so much for the 500 or so first timers for who IMNZ would have been their first.  But for me, I was so underprepared that halving the distance was the only way I would have completed it.  Reflecting back, I was really proud of what I achieved.  So many times it would have been easy to stop but that's not the pirate way.  Wearing the colours meant JFDI and I did, all the way to the finish line.
D74
05/03/2012 at 06:35

The course is a hard one.  It's not like Lanza, or some of the other 'killer' courses in that there's nothing really about it to pin it to, but the strong headwind on the return bike (normally), the long long false flat, and the rough road surface all make it hard.  And that's before the run with no discernable flat on the entire thing. 

Add in the mental issue from the delay / change of distance, worry over weather conditions (note to readers, we were warned it would be 5 degrees on the course, then turned out to be pretty warm) and what to eat / drink then you did good.  The worry over Toucs would have seen most people call it a day in T1.

And you were smiling whenever I saw you.  So to me, as it's a hobby, supposed to be enjoyable, shows you had a successful day.

05/03/2012 at 06:53
:0)
Hope    pirate
05/03/2012 at 07:13

What a lovely race report HC.

I can't believe the amount of bad luck you had leading up to the race, and with the race itself being changed too not to mention your worries over Toucs!!! Talk about a mental toughness test!

Well done on finishing what sounds like a real tough day at the office!

Dubai Dave    pirate
05/03/2012 at 07:41
HC: Great report, well done for seeing it out.
Cheerful Dave    pirate
05/03/2012 at 08:43
Epic report for an epic race.  18 minutes in T1 is epic on its own, even if it was for the best reasons!  Glad to see Toucs is OK - I'd have been tempted to not get in at all from the sounds of things.
05/03/2012 at 08:44
Bliddy well done HC! Top effort!
05/03/2012 at 09:36
Great report. Thanks for an inspiring read, HC. Well done to you, Trogs & Dunc. Sounds like it was a perfect nightmare for Toucs. Top effort all round!
Edited: 05/03/2012 at 09:36
05/03/2012 at 09:51

Great report and well done. Smoky in here...

Sounds like the organisers and volunteers deserve a big pat on the back too for putting a race on at all in the circumstances.

Edited: 05/03/2012 at 09:51
05/03/2012 at 10:19
nice one guys - well toughed out HC and Trogs and bad luck to Toucs....

05/03/2012 at 13:14
Excellent report HC, well raced.  Commiserations to Toucs.  Where's Trog's report then...?
The Silent Assassin    pirate
05/03/2012 at 13:29

Cracking report HC, well done on toughing it out.

Edited: 05/03/2012 at 13:29
05/03/2012 at 14:00

What a great report.  Getting the start line was a such a mental test in itself you all did brilliantly to start,  Glad Toucs is OK even though he didn't finish the swim.

I've been on the speed boat on lake Taupo and I'm struggling to imagine conditions like you had .

Lee the Pea    pirate
05/03/2012 at 16:13
Aw what a fabulous report HC.  Awesome display of stamina and determination overcoming disappointment, stress, worry, exhaustion, everything!!!  For sure I think I would have been a crying heap in T1, never to make it on to the bike.  So glad Toucs is okay too!!  Very well done to all of you for giving it your best, and I hope you can enjoy the rest of your holiday and just relax a bit   can't wait to see you all at the Outlaw xxx 
meface    pirate
05/03/2012 at 21:45

Toucs is a big girls blouson and he knows it (although don't ask me to climb anything high or I will cry)

Well done Nicky, sounds a tough trip with too many things going on to make for a mentally smooth race. Too many things in your head make it harder to race well. Finishing is all that is asked.

Don't rush back, work beckons.

Rotura for a mud bath? If still in Taupo head south along lake towards Ruapehuand there is a municpal outdoor baths. Also have private baths. Basic but good value, nice and warm and no swell.

Well Done

M.eface

Trogs    pirate
05/03/2012 at 21:55
< Ferret wrote: Excellent report HC, well raced.  Commiserations to Toucs.  Where's Trog's report then...?>

Should have access to pc later today so report to follow soonish
05/03/2012 at 22:00
Loved your report HC. Poor Toucs. What a long way to go to get sea sick.
Trogs    pirate
09/03/2012 at 23:21

Finally have unrestriced access to a pc and, since the sun's gone into hiding, no more excuses not to do my race report.

After IMNZ 09 I told myself that if I ever did another southern hemisphere IM, I'd travel out a couple of months beforehand to get some proper training in.  Wish I'd listened to myself.  Although the winter was kinder than in 08/09, I really hate long bike rides in the cold and wet and find the turbo mind-blowingly dull.  Suffice to say by bike training was minimal; running was ok and swimming is my favourite.

In the 10 days in NZ before heading for Taupo I did a couple of 45ish rides on similar terrain to the IM course, one shorter, hilly ride on really crap roads and a constant strong headwind, several hilly 5 mile runs and one ow swim to remind myself how to swim in a wetsuit.

I knew IM was going to hurt quite a lot but wasconfident that I could put in a decent swim time to give myself long enough get round the bike leg inside the cut off and therefore finish the race.

Trogs    pirate
09/03/2012 at 23:55

After Thursday's briefing I reckoned it was pretty certain the event was going to be bike/run at best.

Friday morning saw me getting my tranisition bags sorted with unusual efficiency and minimal faffage so by late morning I was ready to rack the bike and hand them in before heading off with my NZ support crew to try our hands at prawn fishing.  The prawn park was closing early so the teenagers tried their hands at a bit of rope climbing next door before we all visited a local honey centre

Shortly after 4pm got a series of messages through from Happychap at the briefing:  IM cancelled; 70.3 on Sunday; race briefing Saturday 4pm; go fetch your bike NOW!! So quickly packed up and headed back to town to collect the bike.

Mixture of disappointment and relief.  Mentally I was prepared for a very tough day on Saturday and was a little surprised to feel a bit lost for the rest of the evening.  

Apart from team RuntoLive, I had another friend from my tri club who'd come out to do NZ as his first IM, partly after talking to me and watching the 09 race DVD I'd lent him.  He'd picked up a nasty chest infection in December so hadn't able to train for about 6 weeks and had almost pulled out in January. After talking to others at club and revising his race targets he decided to go for it anyway. He called me on Friday evening and was obviously really gutted about the turn of events but, after a bit of chat we managed to pull some positives out of things and both felt a bit better.

Saturday was a bit of a non day.  It rained and blew pretty hard overnight but Saturday morning was dry, clouldy but still windy.  The worst of the weather had passed to the south of Taupo, but the wind actually got stronger as the day went on.  We headed back to the prawn park and two of the six of us managed to catch enough prawns (and we're talking BIG prawns here) for us all to have one each.  Very tasty they were too.

Edited: 10/03/2012 at 00:03
Trogs    pirate
10/03/2012 at 00:27

Race day saw the alarm go off at 5am to give me time for a bit of breakfast and a cup of coffee before dragging my 19yo godson out of his pit to take me and my bike down to race central.

Having access to transition bags was not a good idea.  Althouth they'd been packed with a cold and windy bike/run in mind, I knew everything I needed was in the appropriate bags but couldn't overcome the compulsion to go and check everything so much faffing ensued.

Finally time to put on the wetsuit and head down to the swim start.  One thing I'd missed last time was the Maori war canoe coming in and the hukka on the beach before the start so I was quite looking forward to experiecing it this time around.  Sadly with the change of plans, it didn't happen.

The commmentator had announced that the water temperature was about 15.1c but I reckon it was actually a little warmer than that - but not much.

Watched the pro's go off, followed by the AG men before lining up middle to back of the AG ladies.  Off we went being gently washed up and down by the swell.  Despite having identified the hill behind the turn around buoy before the swim start, I still managed to swim a zig-zag course down the lake and never really found any feet to draft off for any significant lenght of time.  

So I swam.  Didn't feel particularly good but not horrendously bad either.  Finally surfed towards the finish and glanced at the clock as I passed under it; 1:02 or something, even taking off the 15mins for the pro start 46:29 was a bit disappointing.

Jog/walked the 400m or so up to transition, handed my bag and into the change tent which was heaving.  No spare volunteers, so found a clear spot, hauled myself out of my wetsuit and dressed for the bike.   Don't ask me how I managed to spend 16:22 in T1, I really have no idea

161 to 180 of 196 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.