Road bike mirror question

Road bike mirrors

21 to 25 of 25 messages
cougie    pirate
18/11/2012 at 16:19
Aah a rear view mirror to spot the draft busters. Very sneaky.
Glad he got caught. I was wondering what possible use it would be to him....
19/11/2012 at 05:46
I actually think bike mirrors are a great idea. I've done a lot of cycle commuting and also got fed up with the cricked neck from constantly looking over my shoulder. All very well to say 'defensive road positioning' but if you're changing lanes to turn right or negotiating a big roundabout you really need to check what's coming up behind you. And I don't buy that stuff about concentrating on mirrors distracting you fom what's in front of you. That's not how it works in a car and I can't see why I bike would be so different. Apart from when I'm changing lanes I rarely look specifically in my car mirrors, but I'm peripherally aware of what's in them. And it HAS helped me duck out of the way of many a latent accident over the years. Mirrors maybe don't help you much in the 'peeing your pants' moments but used properly they do help you to avoid them in the first place.
seren nos    pirate
19/11/2012 at 07:11

I can see the point for a commuting journey.......but not on your normal roadbike cycling.......

19/11/2012 at 20:47

Well, it looks like the subject of mirrors fosters as much debate on here as it does with my cyclist buddies.

I think I've made my mind up to try the Bike Eye. I don't think it'll do any harm and if it is no use them I have only wasted £20.

I'll let you know how I get on when I've riden with it for a while.

I tried one of the clip on helmet mirrors in my LBS at the weekend and I can give it a resounding thumbs down. Any thing that is constantly in your periphery can only be a distraction imo. That's why I've opted for the bike eye, as it is attached to the frame and isn't in your line of site unless you glance down.

Cheers for all the replies guys.

Nick L. I'm currently trying to decide which saddle to upgrade to at the moment. That'll probably be my next "please recommend me a........" thread, lol

Edited: 19/11/2012 at 20:48
20/11/2012 at 08:22
Now that looks comfortable.
And, he's got mirrors

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 25 of 25 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.