Road Bikes for a Newbie

14 messages
16/02/2013 at 20:17

Hi all,

Pretty establihed runner looking to venture further afield. I'm aspiring to start cycling, swimming and compete in a triathlon. My first step is to obviously buy a bike, it would certainly help the cause...!

The budget is pretty tight so ideally be looking somewhere £200-250 for a second hand road bike. Is this reasonable and would you have any suggestions on specific bikes?

Your help and expertise would be appreciated,

Rich

16/02/2013 at 20:24
you may have to save a tad more or be good with tools . i would nip to a bike shop and check for size then nip on ebay ect and bid away . any bike with shimano 105 speck shoud be bullet proof . just get one that fits .
seren nos    pirate
17/02/2013 at 07:52

maybe check out the for sale section on tritalk or your local bike club..........fit is the main thing.....

17/02/2013 at 09:25

Thanks for your help, we do have a triathlon shop recently opened too so it might be worth be going in and having a look at the bikes. 

PSC    pirate
17/02/2013 at 09:51

for that money I would just find one that fits and everything works on it... if you are too specific about which kit is on it then you won't find anything. Probably better off trying to work out why it's on sale - is it for real or nicked?  

TheEngineer    pirate
17/02/2013 at 09:55

If it's nicked you'll probably get more for your money

17/02/2013 at 09:56
I managed to pick up a specialized allez elite for 280 off eBay, seems pretty good, I'm happy with it. You may get lucky.
17/02/2013 at 17:44

Would consider triban 3 from decathlon. Everyone has the conception that they are cheap or whatever when the truth is they are great bikes and you also get carbon forks for £300 !

17/02/2013 at 18:17

Triban 3 looks excellent for the beginner. Regarding size, would I need to go to a bike shop to do this?

17/02/2013 at 21:19

R Mcl2 - could you advise me of which size to consider? I'm slightly unsure of the measurements on the decathlon site. I'm 5ft10 and inner leg length 32''.

M...eldy    pirate
17/02/2013 at 21:23

Bluemoon I would go in to the shop and try for size ... make sure you are getting the right fit for your money

17/02/2013 at 23:03

Another vote for the Triban 3 - very good bike for the money, and if it had Specialized painted on the side would be going for around £600.

I picked my bike up off eBay a couple of years ago, a Giant SCR2 for just under £200. IMO it's a better bike than the Triban but with secondhand you are rolling the dice on condition of the parts. I got pretty lucky and ended up only having to change the cassette, which wasn't much outlay at all.

Blisters    pirate
18/02/2013 at 00:04

Even with a new road bike you are likely to need to replace a few bits after a year of riding. It's to be expected, but most stuff is fairly cheap.

basic clip on pedals? 25
bar tape? 10
axle and ball races (mine need doing) 20
brake blocks 15

I promise that if you get a frame the right size then you will want to start playing on ebay....

20/02/2013 at 08:59
Hi sorry for butting in I'm new to this forum and I am also in the same position looked at the triban 3 looks like a decent enough budget starter bike if there 300 brand new surly someone will be selling a second hand one a bit cheaper and then I would've able to spend a bit of money changing it to my spec going to go try it for sizes when I get back to the uk. Hopefully be able to get enough use out of it to do my first triathlon in the summer just need to improve my swimming now. Very helpful thread thanks...

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
14 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.