run problem

newbie question

4 messages
08/01/2004 at 13:00

Hello,

I am training for a triathlon that is taking place in a couple of months, my background is in cycling, and I don't have any trouble with the swim at all, but when I try and run I can manage about a quarter of a mile before I need to stop and rest, any ideas? or is running fitness entirely separate from cycling and swim fitness? Should I expect running to be so hard when I have been cycling in road races for years? Any suggestions would be appreciated
08/01/2004 at 13:03
Jason,
yes, its completely different leg muscles... try running slower and working on time and build it slowly...
08/01/2004 at 13:04
build up gradually

running fitness is different (when i first got into tris i hadnt swam for ten years, and then only breast stroke and back stroke... i couldn't crawl ten metres when i first started tri training - why should running be any different?)
08/01/2004 at 13:28
yup its different for sure - I can run pretty well and pretty far but swimming knackers me very quickly, as does cycling up steep hills.

gotta build up your running with a decent running training plan which runs alongside your swimming and cycling Id say.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
4 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.