Running to TRI

20 messages
04/03/2012 at 14:57

Afternoon all,

apologies as I am sure you have had this question many of time. I would like to make the transition from running to TRI. I have run a marathon in 4:30, HM in 1:55 and 10K in 51 min. I currently run approx 30 miles per week & XT twice a week.

I am average on the bike and swimming isnt my forte. Is it safe to go straight to olympic distance or should I start with a sprint TRI?

Many Thanks,

Valentino

kittenkat    pirate
04/03/2012 at 14:58
Yes very safe to go straight to Oly
04/03/2012 at 15:03
Brilliant! Thanks very much for your prompt help and reply... here we go!!!
04/03/2012 at 15:15
You sound about my level with the running, I'm starting with a sprint tri, simply because I've only just started swimming properly. Good luck!
04/03/2012 at 15:16
That's the only worry I have... The swimming! I am really bad at it...
kittenkat    pirate
04/03/2012 at 15:17
We're all bad at it
04/03/2012 at 15:21
I'd recommend some coached sessions. I started last week, never been able to swim front crawl before, and on Friday I did 20 lengths (with lots of stopping). Technique is so important, and a coach will give you so many good tips. I suspect it's very easy to jump in the pool yourself and just develop loads of bad habits.
04/03/2012 at 15:57
Good point. Are they expensive? How much coaching would one need?
kittenkat    pirate
04/03/2012 at 16:00
When i started I did about 4/5 half hour one to one lessons. I can't remember the cost (back in 2008 now) but it's worth it just so you start out with good technique.
04/03/2012 at 16:01
I see, can you use those as training sessions or would you need to do that on top? I am just thinking of time factor, family etc...
kittenkat    pirate
04/03/2012 at 16:09
V Oriolo wrote (see)
I see, can you use those as training sessions or would you need to do that on top? I am just thinking of time factor, family etc...

Not really training sessions as such if your technique needs a lot of work. I think basically, find someone initially who can assess your technique.

To be honest, swimming is my weakest of the three sports for me, but also the one I've spent the least amount of time on. As long as you can get round the distance with reasonable technique, then that's enough for me. I make up on the bike and run.

04/03/2012 at 16:34
thanks kittenkat. I will do a bit of research and see how i get on... roll on march the 12th!
04/03/2012 at 17:04
My local leisure centre runs a FitSwim session on Tuesday evening, less than a fiver, and it consists of maybe 10 people swimming with a coach present, giving help and advice. As I was the complete novice there last week she gave me a lot of attention, set me a task and let me work with it for a while, then came back and told me what I was doing right and wrong. i was honestly amazed with how quickly I was able to swim a length or two, breathing on both sides... I was completely knackered, though!

I'm sure a one-on-one session would be much better, but I suspect it would cost a lot more too.

04/03/2012 at 17:48

Yes,

I was just looking into it... It's approximately £40-£45 per hour...!  Ouch... that is a little steep but I see if they do something similar where I leave... Just e-mailed the local sport centre.

meface    pirate
04/03/2012 at 20:56

If I were you I would start looking at Half Ironmans and Ironmans.

The wetsuit helps bad swimmers as it aids body position and it is such a short part of the day (but not making it to the end of the swim is poor form and rarely gets wife approval as funerals for lost at sea are a bugger to organise).

Enjoy it.

M.eface

04/03/2012 at 21:22

m.eface,

thanks for the boost! Half Iron Man! I wish I was that fit... may be in a year or so... I would like to get the sprint and Oly distance mastered before contenplating IM...

This is my plan:

year one: Sprint and Oly

year two: 1/2 IM

year three: IM

Take Care

V

16/07/2013 at 21:28
Plinsky wrote (see)

m.eface,

thanks for the boost! Half Iron Man! I wish I was that fit... may be in a year or so... I would like to get the sprint and Oly distance mastered before contenplating IM...

This is my plan:

year one: Sprint and Oly

year two: 1/2 IM

year three: IM

Take Care

V

year one completed...

M...eldy    pirate
16/07/2013 at 22:30

You coming to Nice next year then ? !!

17/07/2013 at 22:01

Nice... mmm that sounds interesting: It's only a couple of hours from m home town: is it half ironman?

Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
19/07/2013 at 06:10

Nope - it's the real deal.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
20 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.