Selcof C-50 Wheels

Any experience with them?

1 to 20 of 36 messages
20/12/2013 at 22:00

So I panicked when I saw a sale and bought these - http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/WPSFSPCC/selcof-speed-c-carbon-clincher-wheelset

I wanted shallower clinchers to replace my PX 82/101 tubs and these seemed to fit the bill... any thoughts? Selling on the PX wheels to pay for them so I hope I made a decent choice! They come with a vague comparison to Zipp Firecrest so they can't be all bad right?

Dustboy    pirate
20/12/2013 at 23:12

I am always a sucker for a decent clincher and at this price it is pretty good it seems. No lightweight but at 50mm depth, not bad at all.

Best 50s I could find that I liked were the Shim DA ones but they were zillions. I mean at a quarter of that, how wrong can you go?

Very much look forward to your review of them when fitted!

TheEngineer    pirate
20/12/2013 at 23:16

I'm a fan of Planet X and have some of their stuff, wheels included - but their marketing is always exuberant to say the least. Lada could say "comparisons with Mercedes Benz wouldn't be far off the mark"!! But then you're paying under 350 notes for wheels, QRs, brake pads and holders and padded wheel bags!

In all fairness they are probably a solid wheel but the comparison is b*llocks.

There's no indication of any aerodynamic data, they've not even listed the rim width! I'd assume therefore they're standard rims. This is the most significant part of the FC design, but most manufacturers are now catching up - was talking to the PX guy at Outlaw Half, which was the week they released their first wider rim (the Fat45 which is 23mm at the brake track).

Dustboy    pirate
21/12/2013 at 00:38

Fair point, and the Firecests are ceramic bearings too. There, Engineer darling, you got me on my soapbox again!

21/12/2013 at 08:11

Is it a carbon soapbox?

21/12/2013 at 10:10

Its very difficult to find info online, which is surely not a great sign. I can't find the rim width anywhere but yeah how bad can they be. They do come with a campy freehub which isn't ideal for me.. I've asked the PX guys to switch it to shimano but I don't fancy my chances there. I think there's 2 options, either an adapter for shimano or else replace the freehub.

Third option would be to switch to campy components.. Nothing on my bike has been replaced since I bought it a couple of years ago so probably all could do with being upgraded anyway.. very expensive though

Edited: 21/12/2013 at 10:16
TheEngineer    pirate
21/12/2013 at 10:49
Switching the groupset to save a few quid on wheels is a bit backward!! I'm not saying they are bad wheels - they're not worth ??1700 but as a cheap aero wheel you could do worse. I bought some 3T Accelero wheels as an intermediate - they're heavier and less deep than the Selcof as they're all alu, but the braking is predictable and they spin nicely!

More recently I bought race wheels and went for the Flo wheels - I had a good offer of FCs at a price I could afford, but I'm not sold on carbon braking on mountainous courses. That's mostly my lack of balls though.
21/12/2013 at 11:40

Yeah I mean if I was going to switch all the components anyway, then I could consider campy ones. Obviously not just for the sake of the wheels. I don't think I'd go for that though. I saw offers on Flo wheels before. Looked like a great deal!

21/12/2013 at 15:07

The campag thing might be a pretty big issue actually... i switched for the alu/carbon 50mm wheels instead which come with shimano freehub.. sure to be heavier with the alu but at £280 reduced from £800 (apparently) i'm happy enough to chance them. The guy in sales did say they were estimated at 1,600g but I don't think that's going to be very accurate. Just about got in to switch the order as the wheels were on the way out to be dispatched.

TheEngineer    pirate
21/12/2013 at 19:09
Unless you're doing a hill climb or a bike race, weight isn't your primary concern at all. Aero is king. Even on hilly courses. Rolling resistance a loooooooong third (there you go Dustboy).

The Flo set is about 2kg all up I think. Worried? Not in the slightest!!
21/12/2013 at 21:31
Is the main point of the wider rims not to reduce rolling resistance? The alu rims have normal spokes rather than aero. Don't know if that's a big deal. Looking forward to trying them out anyway. Cheap enough that I'm in no rush to sell the other wheels if it all goes wrong.
M...eldy    pirate
21/12/2013 at 21:35

I have read the thread and I am not sure if I understood any of it .... are they a pretty colour?

TheEngineer    pirate
21/12/2013 at 21:36
Part of it is rolling resistance, part of it is they encourage you to run a lower pressure which is grippier round corners and part is the wider rim allows a smoother transition from tyre to rim. Because the rim is wider the tyre forms more of a semicircle where the brake track is close to tangential to the tyre.

Generally the big gain is aerodynamic performance over a wider range of yaw angles.
TheEngineer    pirate
21/12/2013 at 21:37
Melds they're Selcof wheels. You need Furcof wheels.
21/12/2013 at 21:42
Very pretty and shiny. Just trying to pretend there's a technical reason to buy them as well. May save half a second over 20k
M...eldy    pirate
21/12/2013 at 21:48
TheEngineer wrote (see)
Melds they're Selcof wheels. You need Furcof wheels.

You make 'em, I'll buy 'em 

21/12/2013 at 22:06

I've ordered a pair before I read this thread, hope they're ok.

21/12/2013 at 22:08
Which did you go for? The campag or shimano?
21/12/2013 at 22:34
Campag, it's the only way really! They were out of stock then by chance I saw they had one pair in. Better be good!!!
21/12/2013 at 22:36
Ha that was probably the set I returned
1 to 20 of 36 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.