Setting my sights Tri

Countdown to IMNZ 09

801 to 820 of 1,092 messages
Ally Bally Bee    pirate
04/03/2009 at 03:58

Checked into debretts and we've just seen Oringa drive up (she was parked next to you last year I think Duncan - clapped out transit van). Everyone seems to be arriving now. Saw heaps of people on their bikes, or bikes on the back of cars, people running down by the lake (which looks stunning btw).

Forecast for friday is wind and rain with showers easing on Saturday. Just hope it's not too windy on Saturday, would prefer it to be dry too but you can't have everything - just as long as the lake is calm.

D74
04/03/2009 at 08:35

Darn it, meant to email them and pulled out their email address.  Please can you wish both her and Brian a good race, we'll be watching out for them on IM_live.    Lovely couple that pretty much define what IM is all about, certainly more than the pros in my view.

Is Andy S over there again?  If you see him then wish him well too. 

Roll on 2012

jaggy...    pirate
04/03/2009 at 09:48

I met up with Trog for dinner tonight which was really nice. If anyone is around tomorrow and fancies a ride or swim give me a shout on the moby.

debbo    pirate
04/03/2009 at 10:59
I'd love to Jaggy, but it's too far - I'm working early tomorrow

meant to ring before you went, but didn't - doh!
04/03/2009 at 12:45

heaps?  HEAPS?? i thought you were scottish?

you don't hear debbo saying "saddle up pardners, we're havin' a hoe down.  yee haaw, yankee doodle dandy". 

or Jaggy Saying "we don't bin blick pipple from gitting on bisses any more since we git rid of aparthite". 

or cougie saying "give me more wodka comrade commisar", for that matter.

04/03/2009 at 12:46
well, the last one might be debatable
Ally Bally Bee    pirate
04/03/2009 at 23:56
Will do Duncan, they're off site at the minute - big day and all (registration etc).
05/03/2009 at 06:32
ALl the best for the race Trogs
05/03/2009 at 11:28
OOoooooooh! Good luck folks!
D74
05/03/2009 at 12:06

One more day to go. 

For anyone staying up to watch IM Dead then you can also listen to More FM Taupo online to hear 'Dougal' broadcasting from the course.  It's fair to describe him as a character.

05/03/2009 at 15:21
<wanders in thread to dump pom poms, whistles, biscuits and lots of coffee for later>
05/03/2009 at 15:28
How does the time difference work, I'm a confused and simple child.
D74
05/03/2009 at 15:29
It's a 6pm Uk time start tomorrow night. 
05/03/2009 at 15:35
Ahhhhhh.... thanks!
05/03/2009 at 15:37
*eats happychaps biscuits on the basis that they'll not be crunchy anymore if left out until 6pm tomorrow night*
05/03/2009 at 15:38
I know Duncs, just like to get ready early. 
Ally Bally Bee    pirate
06/03/2009 at 00:34

Well it's just after 1.30pm here and I can't speak for the others but I have checked in my bike and transition bags. I've wrapped plastic bags around my hoods to protect the cabling from the predicted overnight rain and my helmet is also in a bag and tied to the bike.

The forecast is apparently now not as bad as was predicted yesterday, showers overnight and in the morning but drying off to be overcast in the afternoon. The wind will start off as a westerly and switch to a south westerly in the pm (headwind on the way home booo).

At the race briefing the guys were going on about how we had to wear the ponchos they hand out if the run gets cold and wet. I will remain as resilient as possible - last year I turned them down each time as they would have acted as a sail and made us slower!

Last night's dinner was good, we had a 30 minute Maori show (spine tingling as ever), quite a few back slaps for the organisers, interviews with Paula Newby-Fraser and Greg Welch (he is a crack-up) and then an inspiring video at the end. Almost had me in tears remembering last year's race.

We had a pirate table - Trogs, Anders and Jaggy and I all managed to find each other, and Andy S (sometime poster but usually on TT) also joined us.

Will post a race report some time on Sunday (NZ time).

Our race numbers for tracking are:

Ally Bally Bee 288

Troglodytes 1205

Anderssnog 1037

Jaggy 1110

Richard Melik is also here but racing as a Serpie, #900

The Baylisses are numbers 3 (Stephen) and 13 (Bella), though my money is on a Kiwi 123 in the men's race (Brown, Bozzone, Ussher) and for Gina Ferguson to take the women's title with Jo Lawn 2nd and Charlotte Paul 3rd.

Trogs    pirate
06/03/2009 at 03:16

15 hours to go

I'm suffering from mixed emoticons

Spent hours today standing staring at two beautifully packed kit bags wondering what I'd left out before convincing myself there wasn't anything left out to put in them, and it was all in the correct bag.  All handed over an out of my hands now. 

In case I forget after, thanks to Ally, Aanders and Jaggy for keeping me calm and answering my stupid questions over the last couple of days.

Jaggy is suffering a recurrence of his shoulder problem which is not good news but he was planning on trying to get some treatment for it today so hopefully it will ease up before tomorrow.

Not sure if I'll get on line on Sunday but plan post full report on return to Auckland on Mon/Tues.

Got to run away and panic some more now.

debbo    pirate
06/03/2009 at 06:31
hope you all have a great race

I'll follow as much as I can on IM dead
The Silent Assassin    pirate
06/03/2009 at 07:07

race well pirates!

will try to follow online

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.