Shampoo for swimmers

13 messages
06/04/2013 at 17:21

Hi all, my girlfriend asked me (honest, she did!) to ask the ladies on here what they use shampoo wise. I think she's having issues with all the chlorine. Is there a shampoo specifically designed for swimmers? 

M...eldy    pirate
06/04/2013 at 17:23

There is .... IMO the best way is to make sure her hair is wet before she swims as this way the hair has already absorbed as much as it can and absorbs less of the chlorine

Britrisky    pirate
06/04/2013 at 17:34
I'm finding what M..eldy said plus Aussie Miracle Moist plus their conditioner - I've had major hair problems since I've been training more this year and this combination comes closest to sorting it - or a week off swimming seems to work too
K9
06/04/2013 at 20:35
I assume she wears a hat - that makes the biggest difference.
I spend 5-6 hours per week immersed in chlorine - I wer a hat and just use normal shampoo and always conditioner.
No probs
06/04/2013 at 21:02
Same as Britrisky says wet hair before swim and Aussie miracle moist shampoo & conditioner works wonders.
06/04/2013 at 22:32
Another one for wetting hair before swimming and using Aussie Miracle Moist after!!
Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
07/04/2013 at 10:25

There's an American product called Ultraswim, they make both shampoo and conditioner to negate the effects of chlorine. Don't think it's sold in England though.

07/04/2013 at 10:31

I'm afraid I go expensive and use redken cleansing cream followed by clear.posture conditioner. It's fab.

07/04/2013 at 10:32

Apologies. Clear moisture conditioner!

The Evil Pixie    pirate
07/04/2013 at 11:51

I wear a hat and use Boots Swim and Sun (or some such name)

iron fraggle    pirate
07/04/2013 at 13:25

Hat plus Aussie Miracle moist stuff for me too (I just like the smell of it  

07/04/2013 at 17:44
DF3 to be honest I've never read the ingredients! I like the smell & it works for me, but I only use it after I've been swimming. Normally I don't need / use conditioner!!
On the basis that I know what is used in the chemical process to make ingedients like vitamin B12 (as a student I worked in a plant where they made it) I can't say I fall for marketing ploys!
07/04/2013 at 18:52
The Evil Pixie wrote (see)

I wear a hat and use Boots Swim and Sun (or some such name)

+1  well my little fish daughter uses it - she swims a lot 

i think its sea sun swim range  - they do a leave in conditioner spray too 

a swim cap prob best though tbh  if swimming often , for colored hair my hairdresser said to wet hair, coat it conditioner first to act as a barrier first  - though am sure most would wash off in pool ? 

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
13 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.