Should the 'stand alone' tri forum and TW be scrapped?

21 to 28 of 28 messages
20/05/2013 at 09:55
RicF wrote (see)

I do wonder if one of the main attractions of Tri to some people is that it gives an opportunity to show off their wealth. 

What tripe! I'm only a newbie in the world of tri but the spend so far has been minimul. I will be completing a half iron distance tri in September which cost me £75 entry using my £60 running shoes, a 2nd hand Carerra Vistuosa bike that was £90 off ebay and a few bits of running and cycling kit that probably cost in the region of £150 total, a lot of which I received as christmas and birthday presents. Bear in mind also that I have had most of this kit for a few years already, my spend on running and cycling kit this year has been £0. I'm having a few 1 to 1 coaching sessions for swimming at £45 each but this is personal choice as I want to really improve my technique. 

Now ok, I'm not going to be the fastest with the bike that I'm using but I intend to get as good as possible with what I do have, which to me is far more important than being shite on a £6000 made to measure tri bike that I would probably be to scared to ride for fear of damaging it (not that I could afford it anyway! lol)

I quit drinking in December, and as I was drinking 4-5 pints of stella 5 or 6 nights a week, I am pretty sure that what I spend now is a small fraction of what I spent on booze. I'm also pretty sure that nobody thought, "ooh, look at him with all his cash buying all that beer, alright for some isn't it!"

Also, a comment like that has the potential to put people of wanting to have a go at triathlon because they may get the impression that only people with money are able to do it, which as shown above is complete rubbish. 

Sorry, just my 2 pence worth 

XX1
20/05/2013 at 10:27
Ironholgs wrote (see)

Branded Ironman races are expensive, but minute by minute probably actually cheaper than the Great North Run. Running is a moneyed sport if you want to do the big races - gear, entry fees, travel costs, nutrition, physio etc... If you just want to do your local park run or 10k then maybe not so.

I don't see how running is a moneyed sport if you want to do the big races, and most of your reasons seem bogus...  Gear, travel costs, nutrition, etc costs aren't going to differ between a big race and a small 10K the same distance away...  Seeing a physio isn't obligatory, which just leaves the entry fees...  For me, having the means to pay a £50 entry fee rather than £20 isn't the difference between being moneyed or not.

XX1
20/05/2013 at 10:51
Ironholgs wrote (see)

Isn't an Ironman tourist the same as marathon tourist? or actually any tourist? They just incorporate a race into their holiday plans.

I have friends that spend more in the pub each month than I spend on triathlon in a year, each to their own and all that.

I spend more in the pub each month than I spend on triathlon in a year 

Beer is a form of nutrition right???

20/05/2013 at 15:52

I do think something needs to be done to revive this snoozing, moribund, library. It's as dull as ditchwater, unless you're excited by endless "Pirate Kit" posts, rants from "Pirate Kit" administrators, and lazy threads from newbies who can't be arsed reading the 20,000 previous posts from newbies saying "I'm a newbie. Please can you tell me what to do"? Typically about a month before they ask "What time trial bike should I buy"? Three months before they disappear without a trace.

So why not sling TW in with the other threads? It's all endurance sport related and I read nothing on TW that merits its own website. Much more engaging and amusing stuff to read in the RW forums anyway.

On the other subject, Tri's cheaper than most sports I've played, including gym-ratting. It costs me more money than rugby did, although the "refuelling" cost of that sport make budgetary comparisons unreliable. I consider it a fairly cheap and profitable use of (a lot of) time.

20/05/2013 at 16:26

Most sports can be done on a budget if you want to do it badly enough. However with any sport where there is equipment to buy, there will always be an unspoken competition between some competitors to have the best (insert object of suitable enviousness here) available so they can willy waggle at each other about their wealth. It doesn't mean that you have to have these things to compete/complete/or just have fun. I don't have that sort of money and I do things on a budget but fair play to those who do.

VT'd    pirate
20/05/2013 at 19:19

I agree with STIL.  I don't visit too often now as I became completely lost in a soup of monotony.  I enjoyed the banter and it felt like common ground.  I have nothing of substance to offer newbies as I wasn't experienced, but I enjoyed the light hearted humour and non-malicious spoof advice.

Maybe the humour is still there, I CBA'd looking to find out any more.

Popped in to say well done to everyone at Lanza, 'Well done, fantastic effort, all of you'.

citizen 146    pirate
20/05/2013 at 20:36

You must see I'm training for a ironman thread a few pages back. If you dont' find that funny then I give up

21/05/2013 at 11:18

Seriously funny, Citizen. I love this one too;

"Three girls at my yoga class told me that I can complete and Ironman if I buy a Cervelo and eat Lunar Bars for lunch". Class!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfvpzkGfpEA

Edited: 21/05/2013 at 11:20

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 28 of 28 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.