Should the 'stand alone' tri forum and TW be scrapped?

1 to 20 of 37 messages
kittenkat    pirate
01/05/2013 at 21:09

And a tri section of the forum added back under the RW forums?

Most of us (well most of you who have reverted to lurking or leaving), remember when there wasn't a TW. The mag was very short lived and I'm just wondering if the way to boost traffic on here would be to go back to the old format when it was a section of the RW community?

Thoughts on a piece of toast.

01/05/2013 at 21:25

I would not have found you if you'd been part of runners world...and I didn't think the traffic was that slow...look at all us newbies without an icon picture (because the site hasn't fixed it yet)...there are quite a lot of us about.

We're never going to be as popular as RW since there aren't enough crazy people who want to swim/cycle/run one after the other.

01/05/2013 at 21:30

The forum is on runners world so any intetested runner can be here after 1 click away from running land 

kittenkat    pirate
01/05/2013 at 21:30
pete_inthehills wrote (see)

I would not have found you if you'd been part of runners world...and I didn't think the traffic was that slow...look at all us newbies without an icon picture (because the site hasn't fixed it yet)...there are quite a lot of us about.

We're never going to be as popular as RW since there aren't enough crazy people who want to swim/cycle/run one after the other.

Jeez, is that another thing they haven't got sorted. The lack of PM communication is bad enough, hopefully we'll get an update soon. (or a turd in the sand where the head was)

(Disclaimer: sorry the last bit tickled me and was for my own self centered amusement rather than a direct and histrionic complaint. If I wanted to do that about anything, i would report threads in an OCD fashion, or not )

kittenkat    pirate
01/05/2013 at 21:41
MedicGirl wrote (see)

The forum is on runners world so any interested runner can be here after 1 click away from running land 

I know, I'm actually just prodding a bit after the TW mag was withdrawn. The market is interesting because triathlon (especially long distance), has to draw a demographic with money as set up costs for individuals, even on the cheap, are a lot more than just for running alone; although runners are now being marketed heavily for products they don't actually need.

So a few years ago when IM became the latest midlife crisis and admittedly one of mine also, but I've been having them regularly since the age of 8. Quite obviously media outlets saw an opportunity in that market.

I think that tri is still in growth as a sport and the people that can actually afford all the latest gear are still buying, but the divide between them and those that can't is growing, without any practical solution possibly?

My point, and I've made it before is that the cost of tri maybe at the upper end of talent, excludes and as a hobby still excludes on a financial basis. I know that talent scouts go inner city and find kids that can run, but what's the set up with tri?

Waffling a bit now but as hybrid sport, it's interesting.

Edited: 01/05/2013 at 21:59
WildWill    pirate
01/05/2013 at 22:12

no

kittenkat    pirate
01/05/2013 at 22:20
WildWill..... wrote (see)

no

Will that's a shit answer, only because it's unsupported by an actual opinion. And such an abuse of a capital letter.

C'mon apply yourself mentally to important stuff.

K80
01/05/2013 at 23:37

Typically I seem to be arriving late for the party - a TW mag you say?

It took me ages to realise there was a separate section for Triathletes, as the posts from that  section come up on runnersworld if you just go to the latest posts button.

WildWill    pirate
02/05/2013 at 08:05

Stop twisting ... you didnt ask for an opinion ...just an answer and and a thought on a pice of toast ... well i had no toaster 

Edited: 02/05/2013 at 08:06
02/05/2013 at 08:08

You've got a grill though right?

WildWill    pirate
02/05/2013 at 08:15

Nope ... i'm in a B&B through the week ... so i have a kettle ... Tea is important

02/05/2013 at 08:25

Ok, so pour the water out of the kettle, put the bread on the element and turn the kettle on. Turn the bread over after a minute.

Bingo!

Doner Kebab    pirate
02/05/2013 at 08:45

auto cut off 

02/05/2013 at 18:01

I do wonder if one of the main attractions of Tri to some people is that it gives an opportunity to show off their wealth. 

02/05/2013 at 19:34

`I do wonder if one of the main attractions of Tri to some people is that it gives an opportunity to show off their wealth.`

Nah, we just like all the toys you can buy. Easier ways to strut the wealth I think.  But, I take your point.

kittenkat    pirate
02/05/2013 at 19:41
RicF wrote (see)

I do wonder if one of the main attractions of Tri to some people is that it gives an opportunity to show off their wealth. 

It's an exclusive sport to a point, like tennis, golf, sailing etc. I've always put that forward as a personal view. But it is what it is, and i guess that for people with the money, why not spend it on getting better kit? Although a fast person a shittier bike is going to beat a slower person on thousands of pounds of carbon.

Also in the long races, you only get the people that can afford the time and entry fees thus limiting the talent potential. But that said, it shouldn't be and isn't about who can be fast for the majority of people. i just think the pointy end of some triathlons isn't very pointy.

kittenkat    pirate
02/05/2013 at 19:42
Dreaming Of Magic wrote (see)

`I do wonder if one of the main attractions of Tri to some people is that it gives an opportunity to show off their wealth.`

Nah, we just like all the toys you can buy. Easier ways to strut the wealth I think.  But, I take your point.

Yeah, what did happen to fast cars and high class hookers? Thay seem a bit 80s now.

03/05/2013 at 07:48
kittenkat wrote (see)

It's an exclusive sport to a point, like tennis, golf, sailing etc. I've always put that forward as a personal view. But it is what it is, and i guess that for people with the money, why not spend it on getting better kit? Although a fast person a shittier bike is going to beat a slower person on thousands of pounds of carbon.

Also in the long races, you only get the people that can afford the time and entry fees thus limiting the talent potential. But that said, it shouldn't be and isn't about who can be fast for the majority of people. i just think the pointy end of some triathlons isn't very pointy.

I did my novice triathlon on a mountain bike and while I struggled to keep up with those on shiny road bikes, I soon caught up and over took them on the run.  I don't have a lot of spare cash and I won't be spending £2K on a bike.  I'll be getting my wetsuit from Aldi the next time they do them and I'm looking for a second hand road bike.  I'm never going to win any races and if I'm racing anyone, then I'm racing myself.  I think you can do this on a budget, I bloody hope so!

I did notice that there was a lot of bike envy going on at the one race I've done.  Everyone was checking out each others bikes.  But I think that some of owners of the shiny bikes should have practised running rather than spend time polishing their bikes.

The biggest "expense" for me is the time.  I have a wife, daughter, 3 chickens, 5 cats, 1 horse and 2 ponies to look after.  Finding time to train after all that is my problem.

WildWill    pirate
03/05/2013 at 09:39
RicF wrote (see)

What a load of crap ... people that go to football matches everyweek probably spend more on their past-time

Pudge    pirate
03/05/2013 at 09:45
WildWill..... wrote (see)
RicF wrote (see)

What a load of crap ... people that go to football matches everyweek probably spend more on their past-time

Actually, I totally agree with you Will.  I've only just recently got into tri, and have managed to equip myself with the basics (excluding the bike) for less than the cost of an Everton season ticket.

Ok, so if I include the cost of the bike, it will bump it up, but I would expect most people to have (or at least have access to) a bike regardless of whether they do triathlon.

Edited: 03/05/2013 at 09:46
1 to 20 of 37 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.