Should the 'stand alone' tri forum and TW be scrapped?

1 to 20 of 28 messages
01/05/2013 at 21:25

I would not have found you if you'd been part of runners world...and I didn't think the traffic was that slow...look at all us newbies without an icon picture (because the site hasn't fixed it yet)...there are quite a lot of us about.

We're never going to be as popular as RW since there aren't enough crazy people who want to swim/cycle/run one after the other.

01/05/2013 at 21:30

The forum is on runners world so any intetested runner can be here after 1 click away from running land 

WildWill    pirate
01/05/2013 at 22:12

no

K80
01/05/2013 at 23:37

Typically I seem to be arriving late for the party - a TW mag you say?

It took me ages to realise there was a separate section for Triathletes, as the posts from that  section come up on runnersworld if you just go to the latest posts button.

WildWill    pirate
02/05/2013 at 08:05

Stop twisting ... you didnt ask for an opinion ...just an answer and and a thought on a pice of toast ... well i had no toaster 

Edited: 02/05/2013 at 08:06
WildWill    pirate
02/05/2013 at 08:15

Nope ... i'm in a B&B through the week ... so i have a kettle ... Tea is important

Doner Kebab    pirate
02/05/2013 at 08:45

auto cut off 

02/05/2013 at 18:01

I do wonder if one of the main attractions of Tri to some people is that it gives an opportunity to show off their wealth. 

02/05/2013 at 19:34

`I do wonder if one of the main attractions of Tri to some people is that it gives an opportunity to show off their wealth.`

Nah, we just like all the toys you can buy. Easier ways to strut the wealth I think.  But, I take your point.

03/05/2013 at 07:48
kittenkat wrote (see)

It's an exclusive sport to a point, like tennis, golf, sailing etc. I've always put that forward as a personal view. But it is what it is, and i guess that for people with the money, why not spend it on getting better kit? Although a fast person a shittier bike is going to beat a slower person on thousands of pounds of carbon.

Also in the long races, you only get the people that can afford the time and entry fees thus limiting the talent potential. But that said, it shouldn't be and isn't about who can be fast for the majority of people. i just think the pointy end of some triathlons isn't very pointy.

I did my novice triathlon on a mountain bike and while I struggled to keep up with those on shiny road bikes, I soon caught up and over took them on the run.  I don't have a lot of spare cash and I won't be spending £2K on a bike.  I'll be getting my wetsuit from Aldi the next time they do them and I'm looking for a second hand road bike.  I'm never going to win any races and if I'm racing anyone, then I'm racing myself.  I think you can do this on a budget, I bloody hope so!

I did notice that there was a lot of bike envy going on at the one race I've done.  Everyone was checking out each others bikes.  But I think that some of owners of the shiny bikes should have practised running rather than spend time polishing their bikes.

The biggest "expense" for me is the time.  I have a wife, daughter, 3 chickens, 5 cats, 1 horse and 2 ponies to look after.  Finding time to train after all that is my problem.

WildWill    pirate
03/05/2013 at 09:39
RicF wrote (see)

I do wonder if one of the main attractions of Tri to some people is that it gives an opportunity to show off their wealth. 

What a load of crap ... people that go to football matches everyweek probably spend more on their past-time

Pudge    pirate
03/05/2013 at 09:45
WildWill..... wrote (see)
RicF wrote (see)

What a load of crap ... people that go to football matches everyweek probably spend more on their past-time

Actually, I totally agree with you Will.  I've only just recently got into tri, and have managed to equip myself with the basics (excluding the bike) for less than the cost of an Everton season ticket.

Ok, so if I include the cost of the bike, it will bump it up, but I would expect most people to have (or at least have access to) a bike regardless of whether they do triathlon.

Edited: 03/05/2013 at 09:46
WildWill    pirate
03/05/2013 at 09:52

Plus your bike will last you more than one season

Cheerful Dave    pirate
03/05/2013 at 10:13
RicF wrote (see)

I can see why you might think that, but anyone who tries that quickly realises that whatever bling they wheel into transition there's always something blingier.  And they learn the meaning of the phrase 'all the gear, no idea.' 

You're more likely to find those people at the local cafe stops, having ridden all of two miles to leave their few kg of carbon in the most ostentatious position while sipping their moccachino and carrot cake.  After all, it was bought for display purposes.

Pudge    pirate
03/05/2013 at 12:24

Plus your bike will last you more than one season

This is true.  And I probably have more chance of seeing some action in Europe on my bike too!

03/05/2013 at 18:17
kittenkat wrote (see)

I think it's ok if you have the money, to spend it on bling bikes etc... better than crack cocaine.

However tri is a 'moneyed' sport and that excludes some people that could be very good at it.

I could never afford to be an Ironman tourist, but I'm not criticising those that are. If you earn your money you earn the right how to spend it.

But yeah, some of the good kit is lost on crap engines. (Please send hate mail to my PO BOX for this last statement)

RicF wrote (see)

Ok then! Lets be specific, Iron Man tourists. Not really considering the cheaper options.

Edited: 03/05/2013 at 18:25
Ironholgs    pirate
17/05/2013 at 08:41

Isn't an Ironman tourist the same as marathon tourist? or actually any tourist? They just incorporate a race into their holiday plans.

I have friends that spend more in the pub each month than I spend on triathlon in a year, each to their own and all that.

WildWill    pirate
17/05/2013 at 09:03
Ironholgs wrote (see)

Isn't an Ironman tourist the same as marathon tourist? or actually any tourist? They just incorporate a race into their holiday plans.

I have friends that spend more in the pub each month than I spend on triathlon in a year, each to their own and all that.

Like wise 

Ironholgs    pirate
17/05/2013 at 09:16

And the races I've done abroad, have been magical ( and I include running races ) as they formed part of my holiday, they were brilliantly organised, amazingly supported and it was so nice to be able to ride on roads that were like carpet.

Branded Ironman races are expensive, but minute by minute probably actually cheaper than the Great North Run. Running is a moneyed sport if you want to do the big races - gear, entry fees, travel costs, nutrition, physio etc... If you just want to do your local park run or 10k then maybe not so.

Some local sprints up here are under 30 quid, I've passed people on mountain bikes, shoppers with baskets - they are having fun and with not too much expense. If you want to get good and compete on a world level then you will need significant investment, but that could be said of any sport. Let's just be thankful we aren't into showjumping as we'd have no money then at all

I don't have any wealth, my first bike was 2nd hand, my race bike was a bike to work scheme purchase, all my bike gear comes from Aldi, I never pay full price for running shoes but I enjoy every minute of doing my hobby. Maybe I'm just tight.

Good luck to those with money, I don't begrudge them having the best of everything as they probably work very hard for it.

citizen 146    pirate
17/05/2013 at 11:45

reduce reuse recycle

1 to 20 of 28 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.