Shoulder OP decisions

This one may be for JJ

6 messages
07/10/2004 at 13:14
So this is the thing -

I have dislocated my shoulder 3 times in three years and after a year of waiting MRI sans and arthoscopes I have finally been gien the option of an operation which will happen in 6-9 months (and mess up my IM CH plans)

anyway the decision of operation isnt so simple.

Option 1 - keyhole surgery, less invasive, little scarring but 75% success rate

Option 2 - open surgery, scarring,slightly longer recovery but 90-95% success rate

My initial instinct is to go for Option 2 as I do to go through another night in casualty on Morphine if I can help it.

however to make it a little more complicated option 1 whilst has a lower success rate will be done by the top surgeon at the hospital whereas option 2 could be done by any old crack head who hasstolen a surgeons gown (no disparage against the medical profession intended)

Any thoughts anyone or does anyone know of anyone who has done the same thing with success or not?
07/10/2004 at 13:37
tough call there Caspar..........but Option 2 would be my favoured one as well........

good luck whatever one you choose....
07/10/2004 at 13:41
'lo Caspar.

Just spoke to my buddy - he had five dislocations over a few years, and then had option 2. Not a twinge since. I also know of several other cases, shan't bore you with why.

don't you worry too much about who's going to do it. You're only buying into a brand, after all. ;o)

It's a relatively straightforward bit of carpentry, and you'll be so pleased you had it done.

x
07/10/2004 at 13:43
Cheers

Option 2 is my preferredoption, although I dont haveto make a decision until two weeks before the op - which is spring of next year

Whilst I can think about a spring ironman now perhaps there is an option of getting the UTMB out of my system once and for all eh FB?
07/10/2004 at 14:19
you'll need your shoulder for UTMB for those walking poles!!!
07/10/2004 at 14:55
I figure that If I put a good stint of training before hand, be out of the count for a month,then two months building up strength would be sufficient for poles - just not swimming 2.4 miles.

That is my logic anyway - although would makea decision until much nearer the time.

Also thought about the Mont Blanc Marathon as a trining run b4 the UTMB but that may clash with the OP

I amnow officially addicted to Cham

- I'm sure its all your fault FB

;¬)



We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
6 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.
Forum Jump  

RW Forums