So can triathlon ever shed that label of...

Jack of all Trades, master of None?

41 to 60 of 60 messages
26/07/2012 at 17:09
B_Kins wrote (see)

Personally I prefer shorter, faster races.

Having raced for over 7 hours last weekend, I too prefer faster, shorter races .

Bloody impressed, VT'd. After having spent the afternoon in a Nottingham boozer with you, I had you down as more profane than profound.

Edited: 26/07/2012 at 17:09
kittenkat    pirate
26/07/2012 at 17:27
VT'd wrote (see)

Dave I struggle to think why, and I could be accused of trying to do too much thinking , but you have perhaps answered my own question.

The togetherness, the comraderie (sp?), the kindred spirts, all that!  I once posted about a very good local triathlete who struggled at Lanza this year.  He struggled big time towards the end of the bike and instead of pulling out of the run and saving himself for another day, he continued.  He told of how he looked around him, and in respect to all the folks who would still be going ten hours on he kept going.  He said he would have crawled across the line if needed.

As it turned out it was a typical elite's 'preparing for failure' statement as he qualified for Kona .

I also watched and was totally inspired by Chrissie giving out medals to the tail enders after her epic win last year.

For me, the respect right through the field goes beyond any other race, especially the shorter ones.  The pirate ethos seems to epitomise that spirit, and I want to keep coming back to drink at their fountain.  There will be no pinnacle, no end game, therefore I hope I won't become disappointed with myself.  It's merely a new chapter for me and one in which I can amuse myself for hours, days, weeks and months.

I want to get faster, I'm sure no-one wants to be slower.  But my improvements at sprint (if any) will not be worth documenting as far as I'm concerned.

An hour and a half off my IM time, however, is my target, and it will be a difficult enough one to give me something to occupy myself with for the near future.

I don't ever hear our club's tri sprint bunch complaining that IM is given more respect or coverage.  Quite the opposite in fact as the IM bow to their speed, their athleticism, and dare I say it, their youth .

VT'd, I'm very involved in my club, we are big, well established and our coach won national BTF coach of the year, maybe the year before last. We also have close links with the running club (I'm a member there also) and the swimming club. All 3 clubs have a very good top end performance. I struggle to keep in the womens top team for running yet I can average 6.36 mm over half mara distance.

There are some really fast strong people in all 3 clubs, however they are still generally pretty impressed with distance at whatever speed. It's weird when super fast guys in my club say that they couldn't do an Ironman or would need so many years to build up to it, which is where (Candy, Mon et al) started something that blew that out of the water.

kittenkat    pirate
26/07/2012 at 17:29

Distance is basically a head fuck, which is why I'm so into mentoring the mind as much as the body. The body is like an obedient dog, it will follow you, even in pain or distress if you have the mental strength.

kittenkat    pirate
26/07/2012 at 19:48

Ha ha, all the fat slow middle aged women have made a pact never to post on my threads, cos I'm such a meanie... If you only approach this from one dimension.

debbo    pirate
26/07/2012 at 20:29

Some of the fat slow middle aged women have better IM times than you though KK - me included

kittenkat    pirate
26/07/2012 at 20:33

Cos I'm shit innit.

seren nos    pirate
26/07/2012 at 21:07

of the thousands of people who post on here every day....i think you will find a hell of a lot more groups than slow fat middle age people who avoid your threads.................not sure how the thousands make their secret agreement or pact to avoid you.......

i take it none of your mentees are slow middle aged women............

debbo    pirate
27/07/2012 at 05:24

fat slow middle aged women Seren - like us, I imagine

kittenkat    pirate
27/07/2012 at 06:00

You have ignored the fact that I am slow and midle aged too, which is quite funny! Have you seen me swim recently!!

Really guys, grow a thicker skin, I'm tongue in cheek and liking discussion, not out to get anyone.

Unless anyone is particularly neurotic, then I could be out to get you!

(Joke before I get forum wrath)

HAPPY FRIDAY!!!

Hope    pirate
27/07/2012 at 06:53
kittenkat wrote (see)

Ha ha, all the fat slow middle aged women have made a pact never to post on my threads, cos I'm such a meanie... If you only approach this from one dimension.

...and you wonder why people get pissed off with you!

27/07/2012 at 07:24

no!

27/07/2012 at 07:31

Just a bit of erm... How do I put this.

Looking at something with fresh eyes and questions. Not closed responses and lack of exploration.

Is a good approach.

(look, I put a smiling face in)

27/07/2012 at 08:01

ok, maybe the fat bit was a bit rude, I'm just reactionary because I get the same people jumping on my back constantly and the galling thing is that these people know that I'm really supportive of this sport and everyone in it. I wouldn't give up so much of my free time to race direct, mentor, officiate and give back if I wasn't.

And so... try and understand why I act like I do on here. It's like being back at school sometimes I swear!

Now back to the subject and the very best thing about today! OLYMPICS, OH YEAH BABY!

Iron Muffin    pirate
27/07/2012 at 09:35

Still waiting for my Olympic call up.

Team GB - this is your last chance to recruit this fat, middle aged woman.

VT'd    pirate
27/07/2012 at 10:04

I have you in my fantasy team IM .

Iron Muffin    pirate
27/07/2012 at 10:20

Thanks VT'd.

I forgot the 'slow', Mind you, I am faster than I thought I could be

kittenkat    pirate
27/07/2012 at 19:32

But what is slow? If you look at Chrissie, everyone's friggin slow which is another reason I get bemused that people seem to take so much personal offence from a non personal statement.

We're all doing this as a hobby people.

seren nos    pirate
27/07/2012 at 19:40

the s=discussion was all about is traiathlon and jack of all trades...............so why on earth did you put

kittenkat wrote (see)

into the discussion........what on earth was it to do with the discussion.............it just looks like you thought the discussion was dying out so you would post something offensive to get a reaction.......its adds nothing whatever to the original discussion......

you seem to be argueing both sides with yourself now

kittenkat    pirate
27/07/2012 at 19:42

Eh? Sorry seren I don't understand your post. ??

seren nos    pirate
27/07/2012 at 19:55

sorry if its not clear............just couldn't see why you having ago as slow middle aged woman had to do with the discussion........thought you were just trying to stir up things ...as i really couldn't see its relevance..........

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
41 to 60 of 60 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.