So, have the Pirates offically moved away from RW?

21 to 40 of 140 messages
seren nos    pirate
21/10/2012 at 08:48

over 20 threads yesterday posted on.................not exactly dead and boring...........just people with an interest in triathlon........who are training for triathlon and who are racing triathlon................might be boring to you but they are all getting something out of it.......

TR
21/10/2012 at 11:23

I think OC sums it up well, The really good pirates rarely post. Maybe they are all out training instead.

debbo    pirate
21/10/2012 at 12:53

'really good pirates'  what are they then?  folk who are good at being pirates, or, speedy folk

as OC says, some of the older pirates, and I'm one of them, have moved on for various reasons.  I no longer do tris, and therefore don't post so much now, and also I've made real friends with some of the original crew and tend to stick to one or two threads.  I'm not sociable enough to want to make friends with every year's new crop of pirates

debbo    pirate
21/10/2012 at 13:09

oh, and to go back to the original question

the pirates couldn't possibly 'officially' move anywhere - I guess some individuals might only post on fb or twitter or here, but there is no 'official' pirate body to move 

kittenkat    pirate
21/10/2012 at 15:29
debbo wrote (see)

the pirates couldn't possibly 'officially' move anywhere - I guess some individuals might only post on fb or twitter or here, but there is no 'official' pirate body to move 

debbo wrote (see)

Good point!

purpletrilady    pirate
21/10/2012 at 16:29
Doner Kebab wrote (see)

OC - 7 hours a day - feck that mate, i can just about manage 5 at a push, and no, im not kidding, take kids to school, come home and eat then running and gym take me to dinnertime, work from 12:30/1:00 till 5 and thats enough for me - how do you fit your training in ??? mind you i do work saturdays ( nearly all day ) think i need to reduce my hours  

so that's how you do it! some of us have real jobs to do 

7hr day...luxery  bloody luxery

O.rangeCannon (kona-7)    pirate
21/10/2012 at 17:14
TR wrote (see)

I think OC sums it up well, The really good pirates rarely post.  

thanks TR 

TR
21/10/2012 at 17:34

ha ha, that could have been taken the wrong way, none meant.

kittenkat    pirate
21/10/2012 at 19:39
TR wrote (see)

ha ha, that could have been taken the wrong way, none meant.

So what did you mean?

TR
21/10/2012 at 20:03

What I put, that the really good (or fast) folks rarely post cos maybe they are training rather than posting. But I guess that OC could have taken it the wrong way, in that I meant he wasnt fast (which I didnt mean). 
Just an observation by me really. Also the really fast RW triathletes like PAdams and Mtriton dont even post on the pirate threads. I see the threads as a support network for the new and nervous mostly. Experienced folks have probably got better things to do with what little spare time they have.

kittenkat    pirate
21/10/2012 at 20:06
TR wrote (see)

PAdams and Mtriton

Never heard of either of them!

21/10/2012 at 20:07
TR (who whipped my arse twice at the Swashbuckler) obviously thinks that i am not a fast pirate.... (compared to some i am not that speedy)....
And that the fastest novice shield i got obviously was won in a weak year....

However both me and TR have a sense of humour
21/10/2012 at 20:08
;-)
21/10/2012 at 20:08
TR (who whipped my arse twice at the Swashbuckler) obviously thinks that i am not a fast pirate.... (compared to some i am not that speedy)....
And that the fastest novice shield i got obviously was won in a weak year....

However both me and TR have a sense of humour
kittenkat    pirate
21/10/2012 at 20:14
TR wrote (see)

What I put, that the really good (or fast) folks rarely post cos maybe they are training rather than posting. But I guess that OC could have taken it the wrong way, in that I meant he wasnt fast (which I didnt mean). 
Just an observation by me really. Also the really fast RW triathletes like PAdams and Mtriton dont even post on the pirate threads. I see the threads as a support network for the new and nervous mostly. Experienced folks have probably got better things to do with what little spare time they have.

I had several longish conversations about tri today at the races I was directing, and the guy who did our chip timing and organises events for a living, was really interested when he found out what races I'd done and who I knew.

For me personally, I feel I've gone through that 'bubble' of IM and it was great at the time; but I really have no interest or time in making it an annual thing. However I'm still keen to facilitate others through it.

My point on this forum (as I see it) has always been that there is a promotion of 'longer is a better achievement, never mind the time'. I don't believe that and have always shouted for faster shorter because I think on HERE it's perceived as lesser. That said I don't think either gets dibs on the other, they're such different beasts. But the shorter tris never get the publicity on here that they deserve.

21/10/2012 at 20:29

As far as I am aware, the Pirates foundation is in IM distance and I suspect that may long continue despite your continual vocal dissention.  But there is also support for people at other distances if you take the trouble to look through the threads.  The FB has newbies coming in at all distances and I can't see them being co-erced into going long; all I can see them is being encouraged for entering a sport/hobby that we all enjoy

And only last year you were calling people out for not having the guts to do IM, yet here you are advocating shorter distances (again).  What has lead to the change of opinion considering you have not done IM for how long?  Or any other distance Tri for that matter

kittenkat    pirate
21/10/2012 at 20:30
Schmunkee - The List Fairy wrote (see)

As far as I am aware, the Pirates foundation is in IM distance and I suspect that may long continue despite your continual vocal dissention.  But there is also support for people at other distances if you take the trouble to look through the threads.  The FB has newbies coming in at all distances and I can't see them being co-erced into going long; all I can see them is being encouraged for entering a sport/hobby that we all enjoy

And only last year you were calling people out for not having the guts to do IM, yet here you are advocating shorter distances (again).  What has lead to the change of opinion considering you have not done IM for how long?  Or any other distance Tri for that matter

And your last tri was...

kittenkat    pirate
21/10/2012 at 20:31

And your IM was...

21/10/2012 at 20:33

Last Tri in July, sprint distance.

No current intention in doing IM

So, over to you.....

21/10/2012 at 20:36
kittenkat wrote (see)

And your IM was...

But then you can't argue with me on that can you, because going long is not the be all and end all.  We should be encouraging shorter and faster and giving them equal support, shouldn't we?

Just saying.....

21 to 40 of 140 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.