So, have the Pirates offically moved away from RW?

61 to 80 of 114 messages
cougie    pirate
22/10/2012 at 11:24

It's all my fault...

If only I'd remembered I created the FB PSOF group....

If only I'd used FB more frequently.....

If only I'd managed to work out how to see that people wanted to join the group......

I'm sorry......

TR
22/10/2012 at 11:24

I'll keep my eyes peeled for the kit police

Flyaway - you've not quite got the right end of the stick there, the good folks comment was based on finish time not posting frequency, and I meant mostly folks I've met. The point still is that those folks dont post as they no longer feel the need for piratey support, so to answer KKs question, I think thats where some folks that used to be here have gone to. I'll butt out now.

22/10/2012 at 11:26

Cougie,

It's not your fault

You added us

We could still read everything

It's fun being allowed in to cause havoc now

You'll be fed up of us soon

flyaway    pirate
22/10/2012 at 11:34
TR wrote (see)

I'll keep my eyes peeled for the kit police

Flyaway - you've not quite got the right end of the stick there, the good folks comment was based on finish time not posting frequency, and I meant mostly folks I've met. The point still is that those folks dont post as they no longer feel the need for piratey support, so to answer KKs question, I think thats where some folks that used to be here have gone to. I'll butt out now.

No, believe me, I did understand what you meant. As well as who you meant.

TR
22/10/2012 at 12:20

Good, I musnt get sucked into any more these threads.

WildWill    pirate
22/10/2012 at 12:23

No .... that is all

Doozer.    pirate
22/10/2012 at 13:22
fat buddha wrote (see)

frankly I can't be arsed making a comment

Me neither - Im too busy updating my twitter account and facebook page while riding no handed on my £5k+ bike while doing the third training session of the day

Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
22/10/2012 at 16:30

Cougs, I had no idea you created a PSOF group on fb.

TR
22/10/2012 at 17:36

well played Doozer, the fiver is in the post !

22/10/2012 at 18:10

I'm not worthy enough to make a comment.  I'm only here to take the p1ss!  

cougie    pirate
22/10/2012 at 18:16

Ironwolf - thats the problem - I'd forgotten i had !

Age you see.....

WildWill    pirate
22/10/2012 at 20:18
He is getting on ...
22/10/2012 at 21:26

perhaps people are adding themselves from a link in a thread - we know there is a group, you ask to join, you get added.

i just left it. cant be arsed

24/10/2012 at 14:17

I don't check in often for a number of reasons.

But first up all this "a true pirate this and that" is a lot of shite.

It was about the journey and it started with people that already had a kinship through the URWRC, moved over and took over the ultra threads took the jump into Ironman along with a couple of people that had completed 1 or 2 - i.e we knew the square root of fk all. The kit, name, sound track and everything else came afterwards.

Somehow it captured the imagination of the forums and quickly grew. Novices became mentors and each year those novices grew in confidence and long standing members drifted off and new members took up the starring "me me me" roles.

It evolves into whatever the members want it to be!

Yes there's nostalgia for those happy early days (mainly by those involved), the day of the warnings threads (nothing to do with tri or pirates) will always be one of the funniest days of my life, where I stiffled laughing for 6 hours trying to look semi-professional.

Back in those distant days it was pointed out to me that the RW forums are a bit like a pub, full of people that you like, some you never speak to or rarely notice and the odd arsehole. But like a pub and its regulars, the clientel change. Some old-timers will still be at the end of the bar (in the case of Moldy, looking for you guys, the cougar that she is) others decide they'd rather just sit at home, drink a bottle of wine and invite their close friends round, others become tee-total and take up kayaking (is there a thread on why so many IM vets take up sitting in giant bath toy going round lakes and rivers - if not there should be?!?)

The bar may get a make-over and the old boring regulars might decide to move and a new vibrant and excited crowd take over and become the regulars. The old-timers pop-in from time-to-time, say their piece and are probably ignored by the younger generation that knows it all.

If the bar is now dead - well maybe its time for another makeover, or if you're looking for the old crowd then maybe finding who's house they're having drinks at.

I'll leave you with this quote as it makes as much sense as my bar analogy...

"When the seagulls follow the trawler, it's because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea. Thank you very much."

seren nos    pirate
24/10/2012 at 14:23

Ironholgs    pirate
24/10/2012 at 14:36

I think that's the best description of these forums I've ever read, the bar not the seagulls.

24/10/2012 at 14:41

WARNING:  a Scotsman talking sense...

shame Scottish beer is so shit 

WildWill    pirate
24/10/2012 at 15:15

Is there a thread on seagulls?

debbo    pirate
24/10/2012 at 15:17
Not all Scottish beer is shit, and I always talk sense and I'm a Scotsman
Ironholgs    pirate
24/10/2012 at 15:24

Is there any good welsh beer?

61 to 80 of 114 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.