So, have the Pirates offically moved away from RW?

121 to 140 of 140 messages
24/10/2012 at 20:09
Doombar is nice! So is Tinners nice ales in Kernow!
Plum    pirate
24/10/2012 at 22:13

I had a pint of something really nice on Friday niight but for the life of me cant remember......... 

Dustboy    pirate
25/10/2012 at 00:36

Blinkin' Celts, no idea on beer, bring me a pint of Banks', or if you really are that good, a pint of Ma Pardoes

Doner Kebab    pirate
25/10/2012 at 12:34
Feck the lot of ya an gimme a pint of snakebite, don't care as long as its over 5%
25/10/2012 at 12:46
Good god. Haven't been in The Swan in years Dusty
Ironholgs    pirate
25/10/2012 at 13:30
fat buddha wrote (see)
Ironholgs wrote (see)

Is there any good welsh beer?

you what???  you clearly haven't been to Wales enough times my Northern friend.  Brains SA and Felinfoel Double Dragon are amongst the best around....

I've only been to Wales once and then the landlord of the vill;age pub wasn't exactly as welcoming as the Welsh are usually.

Must admit I prefer German beer or Guinness. I thought the scots only brewed tennants and meths ? They do make a mean whisky though

Dustboy    pirate
25/10/2012 at 15:02

Someone who knows Ma Pardoes is pure class. I haven't been up there in years, but it was en event!

25/10/2012 at 15:29
I lived in Coventry for 27 years, Ma's was a regular stop on our way home from playing hockey away matches
Symes    pirate
25/10/2012 at 19:04

and just round the corner from Ma Pardoes was the Bull I think selling Bathams, mmmm!

kittenkat    pirate
25/10/2012 at 19:10

When my brother had his 40th he ordered a shit load of real ale from a local micrbrewery (he lives in Sheffield).

We drank the lot and good it was!

Blisters    pirate
25/10/2012 at 22:29

What a brilliant thread!

This really sums up the whole ethos of the RW forum, triathlete Pirates, and the whole reason why I keep hanging around in the shadows.

Two posts spring to mind to summarise the whole discussion.

AliBear30 wrote (see) .......with slight amendments to reflect the original

The Pirate Code? ......................... They're not rules, they're more like guidelines? Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrghhh

The other was the long and beautiful description of a British Pub. Now if ever there was an analogy for what the Pirates stand for, the British Pub is a fantastic example. Personally, I rather like the description that Candy put up in the first instance on the PSOF website. It's not just about IronMan. In fact it's got more to do with Pringles.

citizen 146    pirate
27/10/2012 at 00:32

Hope    pirate
27/10/2012 at 08:29

Like most things in life you get out what you put in imho

27/10/2012 at 09:59
Blisters wrote (see)

What a brilliant thread!

This really sums up the whole ethos of the RW forum, triathlete Pirates, and the whole reason why I keep hanging around in the shadows.

Two posts spring to mind to summarise the whole discussion.

AliBear30 wrote (see) .......with slight amendments to reflect the original

The Pirate Code? ......................... They're not rules, they're more like guidelines? Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrghhh

The other was the long and beautiful description of a British Pub. Now if ever there was an analogy for what the Pirates stand for, the British Pub is a fantastic example. Personally, I rather like the description that Candy put up in the first instance on the PSOF website. It's not just about IronMan. In fact it's got more to do with Pringles.

I wasn't going to get involved in this thread but now that its gone onto pubs and beer its much more enjoyable.  Caladonian ale in Scotand is pretty good, and I agree with DB about Banks. 

I think the pirates should be mighty proud. Whether new recruits do IM or not, they have inspired loads of people to complete a tri or 2 and push outside their comfort zone who otherwise wouldn't have had the confidence, and just look the Pirate recognition at races from Sprints upwards.  That's surely a better legacy than some elite gang who say you can't wear this till you've done that. 

Back to beer - Nobody has mentioned Badger Brewery's Golden Glory beer yet. And I'm intrigued by this Ma's - is it a pub? Now when do we start talking about pies and pastys. 

LIVERBIRD    pirate
27/10/2012 at 10:07

It's like everything in life. Some people are supportive, some less so. Sometimes you feel welcome and encouraged, sometimes not.

Interesting that the Admiral of this particular fleet has popped in and said "welcome all" and not got embroiled in all the nonsense.

Perhaps its better to simply stop judging other people's achievements (or indeed lack of) and get on with our own training?

Or would be that be oversimplifying it?

27/10/2012 at 11:30

I like boobs.

M...eldy    pirate
27/10/2012 at 11:53
We know ... You seem to have a rather large collection if your own
27/10/2012 at 12:21

Bloody lucky your not on top of Beachy with me after that comment.

27/10/2012 at 13:33
Do you need some 'support' Foo?
Dustboy    pirate
27/10/2012 at 17:06

Ma Pardoes - old memories so happy to be corrected

The White Swan in Netherton, deep in the heart of the Black Country sold Ma Pardoe's beer and it was brewed on site. I think there may have been as many as five pubs in the area selling it? This is around 1979. It was, and remains in my memory as perhaps the finest beer I have ever tasted. Though I can't remember why!!

Legend had it that when Ma Pardoe herself ran the brewing operation, she would sit in the bar. On occasion, she was known to go over to a punter, lift his pint to the light, look at it, declare it wasn't up to scratch and take it away and replace it FOC.

Whilst in teh general area, must make mention of The Glynne Arms (Banks's), better known as The Crooked House which was on the Himley Road. Imagine getting plastered in the Fun House at the fair and you have a fair idea.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
121 to 140 of 140 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.