so many challenges

3 years on

21 to 40 of 62 messages
25/06/2012 at 20:57

How about Coast to Coast, something like the Adidas Terrex?  Kayaking, running, mountain biking?  I really fancy something like that ... got my eyes on a forthcoming EnduranceLife race this September called The Great Escape, I think it's a much smaller version but it'll be bike, kayak, run.

ChallengeGoGoGas    pirate
25/06/2012 at 21:29

Wasdale? I like the look of it and "the wall run" which was the past weekend. Dragon's Back Ultra returns this year, but I think it might be invitation only... build enough points and do the UTMB or the WSU100?

A group of cyclists just cycled from Cape to Pietermaritzburg/Durban and then ran the Comrades.... I cant understand why someone has added the Robben Island swim at the start of it?

ChallengeGoGoGas    pirate
25/06/2012 at 21:33

oh and the Quadralthlon which a couple of might consider in 2014... but that wouldn't really be a challenge for you.

I did an adventure race earlier this year, took 3hrs to cover 10 miles, it was tough but very enjoyable, i would certainly consider adventure racing a challenge

seren nos    pirate
25/06/2012 at 22:27

want to build up to a 100 miler race............and i fancy the ones with the kayaking......

love the hills on that video........me and hills are becoming friends now and will continue to be friends for the next year

JB.....i will try and cut back for a week.haven't got time to go back and remove them from all my posts..

OrangeCannon kona-5    pirate
26/06/2012 at 07:00
Kielder 100... 100 miles on an mtb - trouble is its up north in September, and weather makes it normally very tough
26/06/2012 at 07:02
I believe there is a race along the West Highland Way!
seren nos    pirate
26/06/2012 at 07:11

I haven't got a MTB. Iwas discussing it with the OH on the weekend. whilst i am hapy running off road on my own i would be wary of MTB on my own as more chance of an injury and not sure of any groups i could go with at times i am free. So would probably not get to use it often and i am a bit of a scaredy cat on downhills on the road so offroad might be too much for me

edited for Johnny Blaze 

Edited: 26/06/2012 at 07:17
Dubai Dave    pirate
26/06/2012 at 07:57

The list is endless.

Lejog / Coast to Coast / Ridgeway / South Downs way / long distance swim (Dart 10K) / West Higland way / GUC / Celtman / Altantic , Jurassic challenges (3 marathons 3 days), etc etc

Its deciding which one is the hard bit.

seren nos    pirate
26/06/2012 at 08:03

My son suggested doing my own 10 in 10 next year and driving 260 miles away and then running home a marathon a day.......he has offerred to drive.....even though he has only started lessons last week.......

The Silent Assassin    pirate
26/06/2012 at 08:06

what about attempting the Bob Graham, hard as

26/06/2012 at 08:06

The West Highand Way Race is on foot not MTB!

http://www.westhighlandwayrace.org/

The Silent Assassin    pirate
26/06/2012 at 08:08

Pennine way

seren nos    pirate
26/06/2012 at 08:13

looks great Lil sis.........cutoffs look a bit steep for me.............the record is 15 hrs odd to do 95 miles of tough climbing............some people are amazing........would need a support crew

26/06/2012 at 08:16
Liking the MTB, kayak, run options.

Thanks for starting this thread, Seren. Brilliant. With or without .........
cougie    pirate
26/06/2012 at 08:33
Rat race do a one or two day Scottish coast to coast - bike kayak and run. You can use mtb or a road bike if you've strong wheels. It's brilliant fun.
seren nos    pirate
26/06/2012 at 08:36

I have been looking at that a few years cougie but never seems to fit in with my other races............i rememebr you doing it..........i have thought i could get away with my hybrid for it........i will have to pencil it in to my 5 year plan.........

long races that and long walks will have to wait 3 years until i can hopefully do them with my OH..............

ImRio    pirate
26/06/2012 at 08:57

Seren you could mtb with me.  We have loads of lovely trails.  Downhills are great.  I always carry a whistle and my phone so that hopefully if the worst happens I can get help.  so far I have been lucky

meface    pirate
26/06/2012 at 09:30
seren nos wrote (see)
now have to decide where to go next................there are so many brilliant races in this country at so many distances...........

Seren,

Everyone has given you longer, harder, tougher. What about  trying to knock 5 minutes off your 5k time? You are right there are lots of great distances and lots of great events.

• Do you want to stick to multi-sport?
  • Do you want to stick to single day or multi-day events?
  • Do you want races or challenges
  • Do you want organised or solo/self organised

Multi-day self organised/solo we could list every national and regional trail in the country. Wainrights Coast2Coast is the best. The trails vary from 50m up to 350m for South West Coast Path so would take 1-2 days or up to 3-weeks to complete. This is a significant time investment (I did most of them before having kids)

Multi-sport outside of triathlon typicaly seems to involve MTBs at some point.

A lot of tough Ultras include navigational requirements rather than just the IM/Double IM ability to just keep moving forward. The OMM is quite a challenge.

Other than that there is single sport events where even the longest sportives and swims are shorter than a full IM in time. Audaxes cover some good distances on the bike and are low budget as are the LDWA events for walking/running (most challenges allow runners). The LDWA would also introduce you to some navigation (easy when fresh not see easy at the end of 50miles)

M.eface

26/06/2012 at 09:55

why not just take a look in the Ultra/Adventure racing section of the forum - enough challenges in there to keep someone happy for a while

if you want ultras, then look no further than the Ultratrail du Mont Blanc (UTMB) - generally reckoned to be the ultra equivalent of Kona IM.  hard to get into and bloody hard to finish. there are tougher ultras in Europe like the Petit Trotte du Leon (UTMB on steroids), of plenty of long UK ones like the Thames Path

MTB races - start with TransWales, move up to TransAlps and the onto TransRockies

If your swimming's improving why not look at a SwimTrek holiday or some of the long challenges like Lake Windermere or the Channel??

as Meface suggests, step back from long distance and see what improvemenst you can make over short.   that can be hard wor

or try something new - mountaineering, paragliding, kitesurfing, rock climbing, ski touring as examples

you really are only limited by your imagination, time and money.

Edited: 26/06/2012 at 09:56
seren nos    pirate
26/06/2012 at 10:16

beginning of last year I did a lot of running and knocked my run distance down..knocked 2 mins of my 5k and over 30 mins of my marathon..........so would have to work really hard to knock anything substantial off either of those...........

i will definitely look at the LDWA events as i like those.........and i do want to do the lakeland 100 one day but need to do some other 100's first as that is a big toughie............

Money is my biggest limiting factor which is why this country is my focus for now..........

you are giving me some great ideas...just got to see which direction i want to go in

21 to 40 of 62 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.