So when you are doing a tri that starts in an indoor swimming pool ...

1 to 20 of 21 messages
19/03/2013 at 22:52

Yep, transition will likely be set up right outside the pool.  That was the case in the two I've done, anyway.

cougie    pirate
20/03/2013 at 01:02
There's probably no running from the pool - but it'll be the same for everyone - so a neutralised section if you will. No point in a cracking swim and then cracking your head open before you get to the bike.
20/03/2013 at 01:15

No heavy petting either, until you get well clear of the pool area.

cougie    pirate
20/03/2013 at 01:21
You can bomb it on the bike ?
seren nos    pirate
20/03/2013 at 07:20

usually you exit through the fire door  to the transition are in the carpark........so only a few feet to walk before you are outside and can then run to the bike or trainers for the run......

to be fair iots not much different form open water as its hard to run the first few steps as the ramps are usually covered in duck poo etc 

seren nos    pirate
20/03/2013 at 07:21

or what might suit you more is that some gyms do an indoor tri where you use the ttreadmill then the gym bike and then the indoor swimming pool for a reverse tri........you will never have to face the wind or rain

WildWill    pirate
20/03/2013 at 08:12

Most pool Tri's i have done .. you exit the pool area through the emergency door to transition and the pool exit is normaly neer the ermergency door. Minimising the distance from pool to transition 

20/03/2013 at 08:43

My first Tri was the same as WildWill said above, we got out nearest the fire exit, down a few steps and onto some soggy carpet to the transition area, I then proceeded to run around the transition area trying to remember what my bike looks like and where I left it (hoping it wasn't at home) while my mates were pointing and shouting as if I were a contestant on a wacky kids game show against the clock, I did find it in the end, it was one of the last ones there

20/03/2013 at 12:05
Fatmo wrote (see)

My first Tri was the same as WildWill said above, we got out nearest the fire exit, down a few steps and onto some soggy carpet to the transition area, I then proceeded to run around the transition area trying to remember what my bike looks like and where I left it (hoping it wasn't at home) while my mates were pointing and shouting as if I were a contestant on a wacky kids game show against the clock, I did find it in the end, it was one of the last ones there

Fab comment.

This is what is putting me off trying a tri..... I get worried that i'll forget my gloves when I go out for a run, if I had to have all the tri gear I'd never get out of the house for checking it.

20/03/2013 at 12:06
Fatmo wrote (see)

... I then proceeded to run around the transition area trying to remember what my bike looks like and where I left it (hoping it wasn't at home) while my mates were pointing and shouting as if I were a contestant on a wacky kids game show against the clock, I did find it in the end, it was one of the last ones there

Oh, this made me laugh because in 5 weeks I've got my first tri and I just know I'll be doing the same!  I was told I wasn't allowed to put a balloon on my bike to help find it...

WildWill    pirate
20/03/2013 at 12:19
One of the daftest things I've seen ... Is someone trying to put a cycling top on ... After their helmet.
seren nos    pirate
20/03/2013 at 12:22

and having the big penis shaped areo cycling helmet on backwards 

seren nos    pirate
20/03/2013 at 12:22

open water swimming is better for triathlon...........if you are slow swimmer no problem in finding your bike.....there is usually only one or two left in the transition are to choose from

20/03/2013 at 12:25

I'll probably forget I have to get on the bike and try to run that section instead!

Edited: 20/03/2013 at 12:25
Dustboy    pirate
20/03/2013 at 13:10

my colleague got out of the water, made it into T1, helmet on, shades on, gloves on, socks on, shoes on and went to head for the bike course.

Got to the mount point and was sent back to take his wettie off! LOL!

WildWill    pirate
20/03/2013 at 13:16

In the days when racing in speedos was more the norm ... a saw a few people who's (ah-ham) undercarriage had fallen out the side of the speedos as they jumped on the bike ... just to topple to one side with a look of pain (that only men can understand) on their face

Dustboy    pirate
20/03/2013 at 13:33

I seem to make a regular habit of leaving my swim goggles on for the bike and my cycling mitts on for the run. 

20/03/2013 at 14:47

I was just thinking the other day that a great tri product would be swim goggles designed specifically to be also worn on the bike.. would be much better than trying to squeeze sunglasses on while wearing a helmet..

As everyone is saying, there isn't really much difference between pool and OW.. take your time leaving poolside.. they may have mats down to make it less slippy. We had to go downstairs in the last pool triathlon i did. That was nervy!

20/03/2013 at 15:11

Did one on a cold day in October - first competitor gets out of the pool and goes outside, and we see a huge cloud of steam pours off him. Oh good, we all thought - that'll be nice and warm when its our turn!

JvR
20/03/2013 at 17:41

Only pool tri I did was an outdoor pool and had a short distance to get from pool side for the job around to transition.

The aquathlon the other week had transition just outside the pool fire door so a short distance to get outside and to your kit.

1 to 20 of 21 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.