So who has gone back to tri after a break?

And why?

18 messages
kittenkat    pirate
03/03/2013 at 17:43

I'm not feeling that I want to... As you know by now running is my thing, sod the swimming but I think that I *might* enjoy the bike again.

WhizKid    pirate
03/03/2013 at 17:48
Try a season of duathlon? Might be fun especially the off road ones!
kittenkat    pirate
03/03/2013 at 17:52

Yeah, my mate is trying to tell me that I would win the local off road stuff. I'm just a wuss when it comes to riding downhill fast with immovable objects (trees) in my way.

03/03/2013 at 18:11

The thing i like about tri, is that is gives you so many race options.  I`m entered for a spring Marathon, a HIM tri, an iron distance river swim and a std distance tri with a sea swim. What other sport gives you this variety.

WhizKid    pirate
03/03/2013 at 18:11
Just practice! Hang off the back of the bike don't do a preying mantis over the front of the bars... This is a recipe for disaster.... Lots of practise though as wet roots suck massive bum.
kittenkat    pirate
03/03/2013 at 18:40
David Falconer 3 wrote (see)

I still cant get my head around the fact that so many people seem to hate swimming ..... yet quite happy to chalk up mile after mile in the freezing cold on a bike with cars screaming past you at 60mph on dodgy roads ....

For me personally, being an ex PE teacher and FE + HE sports lecturer, I obviously (well I would hope it's obvious even to the layman) followed my career because I was good at various sports. So with that background comes a very competitive attitude, and an acceptance of my somatotype and abilities. I'm not built to swim and I hate being shit at stuff, don't get me wrong, I can swim distance but not fast. Most people that come into tri come from a running or bike background, which have commonalities physiologically. Swimming is the oddball. Tri is actually an oddball which is why it gets slated as much as it does on a professional level by the 'Jack of all trades...' argument.

Edited: 03/03/2013 at 18:42
IronCat5    pirate
03/03/2013 at 19:19
jamie tardi wrote (see)
Try a season of duathlon? Might be fun especially the off road ones!

This. I havent swam for weeks, and I don't miss it. Really enjoying the Du season. You'd do really well KK with your running background, especially at sprint distance.

Back to the pool tomorrow though

03/03/2013 at 19:21
Whats wrong with horses DF3?
Crash Hamster    pirate
03/03/2013 at 20:46

I'm going back to it this year; 1/2IM and an IM after my last race in 2009. It all got a bit much in terms of training hours and I lost the urge to put in a shedload of training to take 30 min off my time.

I'm now quite enthused, having sharpened up my running no end and lost some weight

Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
03/03/2013 at 20:53

Having had a hip replacement operation last June and a compulsory 6-month layoff, I can't wait to get back into racing. Am entered in an Oly on 12 May, a sprint on 26 May, an HIM on 23 June and Challenge Vichy half 1 September. That's it so far. Started back into running at Christmas and am back to doing10kms already.

It's when you're told to stop doing something you realise how much it means to you.

03/03/2013 at 20:58
Jindalee wrote (see)
Whats wrong with horses DF3?

They cost a lot to keep, feed, treat for their ailments, and if you live in a city are somewhat hard to accommodate.  They are even more expensive than bikes!

03/03/2013 at 21:09
That's true Wilkie. Have done horse riding for years and they are very expensive. But I must admit that they are more fun than a bike (for me at least)
03/03/2013 at 21:27

2002 - 1x novice, 1x sprint, 1x odd, 1x Olympic, 1x HIM, followed by a 9 month break.

2003/4 1x sprint, 1x Olympic, 1x IM, followed by a 7 year break.

2011/12 1x Olympic, 1x IM (Outlaw), followed by retiement.

04/03/2013 at 19:37

Cheer up David, I've ticked all my triathlon boxes and really do not enjoy cycling enough (at all) to carry on, so I'll happily stick to jogging.

Dustboy    pirate
04/03/2013 at 20:35

Nowt queer as folk. I don't mind the swim yet I am not a great fan of the bike. Am shit at all 3 disciplines but I stay around coz it's a good laugh and sometimes I can help others as shit as me do better and improve themselves which is quite gratifying.

Bizarrely, the bike last year was probably my strongest discipline. It still does very little for me though and it's bloody scary.

04/03/2013 at 21:07
IronCat5 in the Hat wrote (see)

Back to the pool tomorrow though

The lakes will be open soon  That's way more fun

Edited: 04/03/2013 at 21:07
Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
05/03/2013 at 06:18

Agreed! We can't wait for open water swimming to start. Also, our local pool complex opens the outdoor one on 1 April whatever the weather - last year the water was 14c the first couple of times we swam there!

05/03/2013 at 08:49

In 1990 I did the Tanners Hatch Triathon in Dorking.

In 2012 I did Reading Tri, USN evening sprint series x 3, Nuffield Health Human Race Olympic Tri.

22 year break, beat that.

2013 I'm doing Windsor Olympic, Marlow Half Iron & Ironman Wales.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
18 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.