So you complete an Ironman...

1 to 20 of 82 messages
kittenkat    pirate
20/05/2013 at 20:26

And everyone on here thinks you're fucking ace. And you are actuallly, it's an achievement, a personal journey.

But my question is to you, how does that define you personally and how much do you hang your 'self worth' hat on that particular peg? And how long does that feeling of  'I'm an Ironman' actually last? And who is it important to in your day to day life?

WhizKid    pirate
20/05/2013 at 20:35

It is a personal achievement too me and me alone, I don't jump up and down and tell people I've done a ironman, unless they ask. The feeling of being a ironman too me will be lifelong, it's a amazing achievement too me anyway, and the feeling is still there long after the pain has faded

Dave The Ex- Spartan    pirate
20/05/2013 at 20:36

Do people here think you ( me ) are ace ? 

My Motorsport mates think I'm a wanker for swapping 300 bhp for me power 

It won't be on my headstone 

Edited: 20/05/2013 at 20:37
Pudge    pirate
20/05/2013 at 20:37

How much does it matter to you KK?

kittenkat    pirate
20/05/2013 at 20:41
Pudge wrote (see)

How much does it matter to you KK?

It did at the time, which was 2008, and then the Double did in 2009 when Mon and myself ironically set the best female times which haven't been sniffed at since.

Now, no, it's history and you are only as good as your last race.

Pudge    pirate
20/05/2013 at 20:41

Personally, I have massive respect for anyone who has achieved it.  In short, I do think they are 'fucking ace' actually.

Its not so much the doing of the ironman itself, but everything that has had to go before it, such as training, sacrifice etc.

Ill be milking you all for all the advice I can get once I really get going with mY training. 

Edited because RW and iPads are feckin shite...

Edited: 20/05/2013 at 20:43
20/05/2013 at 20:43

I get your point. People are constantly trying to do a marathon to impress their friends. Then, that's not enough. Back to back marathons. Three marathons in 3 weeks. An Ironman. A double Ironman. People are so sad when they do these things. I don't think they do it for their own satisfaction but they are trying to impress people. Run a sub 17 minute 5k? That's tough but nobody will give a shit. An Ironman, oooohhh that's impressive!!

kittenkat    pirate
20/05/2013 at 20:45
Dave The Ex- Spartan wrote (see)

Do people here think you ( me ) are ace ? 

No. I'm just massaging egos. It works...

Pudge    pirate
20/05/2013 at 20:46

Or maybe they don't do it to impress their friends...maybe it's for other reasons?

Dave The Ex- Spartan    pirate
20/05/2013 at 20:49

My ego doesn't need massaging 

20/05/2013 at 20:50

No, Podge. They come on here and say"oooh I'm doing 3 marathons in 3 weeks, any advice". Just attention seekers, looking for approval. 

WildWill    pirate
20/05/2013 at 20:50

Frankly I don't give a flying f**k about what any one thinks ... I do it cos I enjoy it. The fact that I have done it always feels good when I think about it .. I have an extremely stressful job and to me it is a release from thr crap I have to put up with day in day out.

infact I still feel good about the very first triathlon I ever did .. An that's along time ago

Pudge    pirate
20/05/2013 at 20:51
Sussex Runner (NLR) wrote (see)

No, Podge. They come on here and say"oooh I'm doing 3 marathons in 3 weeks, any advice". Just attention seekers, looking for approval. 

Who is they?

kittenkat    pirate
20/05/2013 at 20:53
Sussex Runner (NLR) wrote (see)

I get your point. People are constantly trying to do a marathon to impress their friends. Then, that's not enough. Back to back marathons. Three marathons in 3 weeks. An Ironman. A double Ironman. People are so sad when they do these things. I don't think they do it for their own satisfaction but they are trying to impress people. Run a sub 17 minute 5k? That's tough but nobody will give a shit. An Ironman, oooohhh that's impressive!!

You hit the nail on the head there, it's all good and getting off the couch, but I dislike the culture that some people put very long and slow (irrespective of speed over distance) over turning yourself inside out to actually be a talented sub elite at shorter distances.

Also, as is well known. How many young and potentially talented athlethes can afford IM unless sponsored? it's a sport for the rich and middle aged (as I've said before). Hell I can't afford it but I bet if someone with money financed me, I could do quite well.

Pudge    pirate
20/05/2013 at 20:56

Why is short and hard, better than long and slow?

Some folk prefer one, some the other. I would have said there's a 'culture'.

20/05/2013 at 20:58

Can't compete with the 14 year old pissing all over you in the 5K? Easy just go into an elitist sport where they can't compete finacially. I get Wild Will who sounds genuinely like he has a love of the sport. But them? Them who come on here. And to be fair it's not usually an Ironman. More the multiple marathon brigade. The attention seekers. The ones seeking approval. Be like Will. Do it for youself.

kittenkat    pirate
20/05/2013 at 20:59

Neither is better, it's all pain. I was just trying to make the point that every distance hurts if you give it your best shot. They are different beasts.

WildWill    pirate
20/05/2013 at 21:00

frankly I think the desire for short and fast is arse .. I'm much more interested in endurance as more of a challenge.

my running club would like me to take up veteran 100/200m sprinting as this is where I woul be good.

and as far as the price ... I used to spend more on beer before I took up tri than I evere spend on tri .. It's nowt but an excuse

Pudge    pirate
20/05/2013 at 21:01

Wow, well since you put it like that...

And all this time I've simply been doing what I do so that my mates think I'm the dogs bollocks.

20/05/2013 at 21:04

I'm not aiming this at you Podge. It's them! I don't get that vibe from you at all. You seem okay enough. 

1 to 20 of 82 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.