south wales open water swimming

its time

1 to 20 of 36 messages
seren nos    pirate
02/04/2013 at 14:45

right i think its that time of the year to start thinking about some open water swimming........

i go in the river taff...just off junction 32 of the M4 so easily accessible for all..........

you can swim half a mile upstream before turning back for the easier return leg..........parking just 30 metres from the river.

so who is up for a session soon

02/04/2013 at 14:55
Lunatic!!
seren nos    pirate
02/04/2013 at 14:57

i have my fill of the swimming pool and the sun is shining........it is a gorgeous place to swim........to all the new pirates out there...........it will make the race swim seem easier promise

Rafiki    pirate
02/04/2013 at 15:21

Is the Taff heated then??

cougie    pirate
02/04/2013 at 15:45
It'll be bloody freezing ! Wales is all full of snow from what I can see from here. Brrrrr !

I'm thinking not until next month - so at least I'm thinking about it !
seren nos    pirate
02/04/2013 at 17:04

there is no snow in cardiff.........mind you there is still snow on the mountains in the brecon beacons.....which is where the river comes from

Rafiki.......if you swim behind me I can guarantee that it will be heated

02/04/2013 at 17:11
Rafiki NOW there is an offer you could refuse
02/04/2013 at 17:32
Seren - I am more than happy to join you occassionally when the weather warms up.

Oooh, just had an idea....would that be better for starting Jr off in OW or is the flow of the river too strong?
seren nos    pirate
02/04/2013 at 17:41

the flow of the river is different every time.......a couple of days after a lot of rain and it can be very strong......one winter day it was like an endless pool......

if there has been no rain for a few days then it can be almost like a mill pond and fairly good for swimming.......still a current but its nice as it makes the return leg much easier.......

my first swim there i just did a small square swim at the point where i got in as it is quieter there and gets stronger as it goes up stream

M...eldy    pirate
02/04/2013 at 19:01

BARKING    

02/04/2013 at 19:52

I walked a little down stream of where you swim last weekend the river was pretty high then, I know that we haven't had much rain since then but the melting snow might keep the level higher and the current looked pretty strong.

02/04/2013 at 21:40
I was in the Lakes at the weekend admiring the icy bits floating on top of some of the lakes and wondering how long big bodies of freezing water take to heat up vs start date of OW swimming.

Brrrrrrrrrrr.

I realise Wales is more Southern than the Lakes, but it wasn't quite in the mediterranean last time I looked. Brrrrr brrrrrrr brrrrrrr brrrrrr bonkers brrrrrrr.
02/04/2013 at 21:48
It's not time. You crazy lady.

MTri    pirate
03/04/2013 at 08:31

Seren, I'll be backin the river this year, but not quite yet.  My swimming isn't up to par to be able to battle any current, but training hard for the Swimathon, and once that's out of the way, then the river will be on.  

Always been Ok swimming inhere, but I do avoid any current that's too strong, or times after heavy rain when there could be water run off from nearny fields etc.

03/04/2013 at 09:40

DF - stop being such a wuss. Some swimming pools can be pretty disgusting as well. And just think of what's in the oceans...

I wish I had a wetsuit and could do FC and I'd be there with you Seren.

Edited: 03/04/2013 at 09:44
03/04/2013 at 09:42

I am desperate to get out of the pool and into the open water again... and my parents live in Gloucester so simple child care whilst I nip across the river... so don't need much persuasion... but something to do with still having snow around just seems to be putting me off

Which days do people normally swim there?

03/04/2013 at 09:54

I think you made that up. Surely???

03/04/2013 at 10:22
David Falconer 3 wrote (see)

If rivers were made for swimming they wouldnt be full of duck shit.

You won't be doing the Outlaw then DF3

The Evil Pixie    pirate
03/04/2013 at 10:26

my place started late last year - 2nd week of may and I doubt if it will be any earlier this year! Was still icy when I last looked (at the Easter "fun day" photos!)

But then last July we were also doing non wetsuit swims (wetsuits not allowed it was so warm even if you wanted it!) I do, however, need the practice for Outlaw as my last OW swim was my HIM when I had a panic attack

03/04/2013 at 11:41

My place is 365 days a year 

1 to 20 of 36 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.