Speedo Q&A 3: Quiz Rebecca Adlington!

Your chance to quiz Olympic champion Rebecca Adlington on her path to London 2012

21 to 36 of 36 messages
27/05/2011 at 13:44
Hi Alice RW

The most important time to concentrate on technique is when you're tired!!! If you have good technique when your tired then it will always remain good when you're swimming fast!

I think when your tired put fins or paddles on if you have either of those. They will help you go a little bit quicker and will also mix it up a bit!

Try doing drill as well, it doesnt have to be done fast and really does focus on technique!!

Hope that helps!

Thank you

Becky
27/05/2011 at 13:49
to ferrousferret

Oh my that sandwich my mum made was incredible!! She did very well that day! haha!

I honestly have no idea how many calories i eat, i never keep check or count!

I do eat large portions compared to regular people and eat quite often as well but i dont really have take aways or anything. I need to keep my energy levels up so make sure im eating the right thing and making sure im getting protein, iron and vitamins etc into my diet.

I personally dont use protein shakes or any supplements. Some of the sprints do but i dont really need to as a distance swimmer.

I prefer to try and keep a balanced diet!!

Thank you

Becky
27/05/2011 at 13:51

Rebecca

Firstly thanks so much for taking the time to share your experience in answering these questions! Really interesting to get some expert thoughts on something that many of us seem to find quite a challenge.

My question is about bilateral breathing - I promised myself I would try and crack it over the last winter but just never got around to it... I am so used to breathing to the right that it seems to difficult to re-learn breathing to the left.

Have you any tips or is it just a case of slowing things down, practice and more practice?

Good luck, and thanks again

27/05/2011 at 13:54

Hi Becky,

a question that gets asked on here is whether weight training can help with swimming.  I can see that an elite swimmer will try for every little edge, but would you have a view whether swimmers closer to the beginner end of the scale (where tri swimmers often are) would get benefit from weights?

Thanks

27/05/2011 at 13:56
To MustTriHarder

Firstly, your welcome.

Secondly, you just answered your own question! haha! Definitely a case of slowing everything down and practicing. Try putting fins on to make it easy and so you dont have to concentrate so hard and is abit easier.

You will always find you're better at breathing to one side even when you can breathe bilateral. I do and i can do it both sides. It is important to know how though, i find it makes your stroke abit off balance and one shoulder works alot harder if you only breathe to one side.

Just be patient and keep at it i would say!!

Hope you can master it!

Thank you

Becky
M.r Zuvai    pirate
27/05/2011 at 13:56

Hi Becky,

once again may i wish you the best with coming worlds and a certain other event taking place next year! if i get all my allocation of tickets i will be there to support you!

My question is around maintaining form when attempting to speed up - i always find when i increase cadence my stroke falls apart - are there any drills / meathods that help maintaining form when swimming faster?

Thanks

27/05/2011 at 13:57

Becky,

do you do drills each day?  Which are 3/4 most important drills would you recommend to us non-elites ?

Stretches - I stretch after running and cycling but usually seen to forget after swimming.
Can you recommend a couple of post swim stretches if you think they are important?

thanks

27/05/2011 at 13:59
hi bos1

I am not too sure on the answer to your question. Im a distance swimmer and dont do any weights training. I do 4 gym sessions but none of them are weights. For me i dont need to carry extra muscle through the water and dont want my lactate levels getting high.

Mostly all sprinters do weight training though and massively helps them!

As a beginner i wouldnt really see it helping a huge amount. I would say general gym...cardio, core and strengthening would help.

Depends what your body shape is really and the distance you're swimming!!

Thank you

Becky
27/05/2011 at 14:04
Mr Zuvai

It is difficult to keep your form and technique going as you increase the speed. I sometimes count my strokes and try and keep my stroke length long. For me the longer my stroke the better so as i increase my speed i try and maintain my stroke count or at least near it.

Otherwise, i would just say practise. As you get better and faster in the pool it will become abit easier. Just really focus on technique rather than speed and just get to the point where you can maintain your form and within a few weeks/months you will be able to increase the speed and go faster and still maintain form!

Thank you
Becky
27/05/2011 at 14:08
bos1

Yea i do drills everyday.

I do.... finger drag drill so run your fingers along the water surface when your arm is that the 90 degree angle on front crawl.

I do straight arm drill to loosen my arms off.

I do a 'fist' drill so making my hand into a fist like im punching the water which helps me notice how important my hand catch is in my stroke.

As for stretching. I would really recommend you stretch your arms/shoulders out the most. So stretch your pecs and lats out. I have good range of flexibility in my arms but my hamstrings are shocking!! Need to stretch more!!

Thank you

becky

Hi folks,

I'm afraid that might be all we have time for. Thank you so much Becky for giving up your time to come and answer our questions - and thanks to all of you for those questions!

All that remains for me to say is good luck with your training and racing - sounds like lots of us have ticket applications in to see you in London next summer so hopefully we'll see you there!!

Alice

M.r Zuvai    pirate

Thanks Becky - we all appreciate your time and advise

Good Luck!

Thank you for all your messages!

Hope they have helped!!

Off to get lunch and get ready for another gym/swim session tonight!!

Thank you

Becky
Dustboy    pirate
31/05/2011 at 00:23

And not a mention of Ferrets utterly blinding home cooked biscuits???

20/05/2012 at 09:32

hi

i love swimming just like you and would really like to be an Olympic Swimmer as i love to do swimming and all four strokes especcialy breaskstroke!

How does it feel when turning up at the olympic stadiums?

How do you feel when winning a medal?

love maisie

20/05/2012 at 09:34

Hi Rebecca iv'e got a Question for you!

do you have any friends in london ?

LOVE HANNAH xxxxxxxx

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 36 of 36 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.