Spigelian Hernia operation on Tuesday

4 messages
03/08/2012 at 13:50

Gutted .........

My training has been going really really well and loving every minute of it ........ I had a Olympic Tri on 19th Aug & 23rd Sept.

I went to the doctors Wednesday as I was worried about a lump in my stomach that had appeared on Monday, he referred me to a consultant that I saw Thursday.

Unfortunately he has diagnosed a Hernia which requires immediate surgery   I have been booked in for the operation on Tuesday 7th August.    

Worst thing is its the day we the Brownlee's will win Gold & Silver and I will be out cold for it.   

Also has anyone had this surgery and have a idea of how long the recovery time will be before I can start training for Tri again?

Edited: 03/08/2012 at 13:51
Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
03/08/2012 at 13:53

Sorry, haven't a clue but I had a hip replacement 6 weeks ago, was allowed to return to swimming after 3 weeks, another 4 to 6 weeks before I can ride my race bike because I'm not allowed to bend more than 80 degrees yet. No running until December. I would imagine your op will not keep you out anywhere near as long.

03/08/2012 at 14:42

I have had 2 inguinal hernias repaired.  The first one many moons ago so advice then was light duties for months.  The second one they advised on not training for 2 weeks and then start steadily with no pace or lifting for a month.  Your hernia is slightly different but still a tear in the stomach muscle wall.  This came up on google, might help http://www.ruh.nhs.uk/patients/services/upper_gi/documents/Spigelian_Hernia.pdf

Good first line

03/08/2012 at 19:39
Thanks bionic ironwolf & JF50 ........ Booked in for 7am

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
4 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.