staying warm on a winter bike ride..

how..??

1 to 20 of 88 messages
Dark Vader    pirate
23/11/2007 at 16:45

I went for a bike ride this afternoon.  Apart from the fact that I was truly sh*te..  indeed hardcore sh*te, I was absolutely frozen.. I had four layers on top, my fleecy winter running leggings and a double lined sock.  The only warm part was my hands as I was wearing ski gloves...!  My neck and shoulders particularly suffered from the cold and the tips of my ears are still frozen...

What do you wear to keep warm...?

23/11/2007 at 16:48
Helly Hansen?  Maybe try the pro-wool line.  You'll get them from most outdoors stores.  I would have thought you'd be too hot in one of them, but if you were cold wearing 4 layers, maybe not.
23/11/2007 at 16:49
you can wear a motorcycle balaclava for head and neck, then beyond that lots of layers. neoprene overshoes over your, err, shoes.
23/11/2007 at 16:52
what were your layers? i used to get away with say a tri suit lower, tights and a looser tchnical top, then a winter fleece lined cycling jacket and above that a dayglo waterproof thing. make sure there's an air gap between each layer - if they are tight it defeats the object. and make sure you have zips to open!
D74
23/11/2007 at 17:12

I start with a wicking base layer.  Then add some winter long cycling bibs that also give warmth to my body.  Socks I wear some 1000 mile running socks with sealskins ove the top.  Then add a Lewiskit technical top and a Berghaus waterproof and I'm almost there.  Extremities get some Marmotte windproof gloves and the head gets a Nike dri-fit skull cap to cover my ears.

23/11/2007 at 17:14

Top tip from me.....I find my forearms get bl00dy freezing while out on a winter cycle. Which in turn makes my hands not work.

You can buy sleeve things.....for about a tenner.

Instead get an old pair of socks, cut a hole in the toe area...and hey presto, some arm warmers!

23/11/2007 at 17:16
I guess London hasn't got as cold as where you are. A helly base layer, a long-sleeve cycling jersey and full-length cycling tights are enough for me.
23/11/2007 at 17:22

Instead get an old pair of socks, cut a hole in the toe area...and hey presto, some arm warmers!

Do you not have any style nick?

23/11/2007 at 17:25
TT - theyre ARM WARMERS......
23/11/2007 at 17:28
...actually..if you had some old funky stripey socks or something....!
23/11/2007 at 17:38
The long sleeved Under Armour cold weather top makes a great base layer when its properly cold as its very warm, much moreso than any Hellys I've tried, so that would be a good start.
AndrewSmith    pirate
23/11/2007 at 17:51
Get a turbo and stop moaning.
Dark Vader    pirate
23/11/2007 at 18:00

Some good tips there..   thanks.

23/11/2007 at 18:12
I was out there for nearly 4 hours today - not counting the hour tea stop, and apart from my feet getting cold, I was fine.  I was wearing a trade team thermal cap under my cycling helmet.  Then baselayer, fleece, with a trade jersey on top.  Leggings, and shorts.  Woolly gloves with normal trade mitts on top of them.  The only bit of me that got cold were my feet because my Sidi overshoes do not fit over my new Specialized shoes.  I need to get some new overshoes (or cut a hole in a thick pair of socks for where my cleats would stick out of - although that would probably make me look even more 80s retro cyclist than I already do!!).
Dark Vader    pirate
23/11/2007 at 18:24

Hmm..  maybe its just me then..  or maybe its because I am hardcore sh*te on the bike..

M...eldy    pirate
23/11/2007 at 18:25
perhaps you are not working hard enough            
23/11/2007 at 18:32
DV it reallly isn't just you, so don't worry. Several of the ... er ... less 'hardcare sh*te on the bike' pirates suffer in much the same way. In fact, maybe all of them, but a few are more honest. ; o )
23/11/2007 at 18:33

hardcare.

hmmm. I think I might have invented a new word.

23/11/2007 at 18:39
I'm 'ard, I am. But I care.
M...eldy    pirate
23/11/2007 at 18:41
I invented one yesterday as well 'Piratea'

I have yet to think of an explanation
1 to 20 of 88 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.