Steep Twisty Descents on the Bike

How do I cope with my terror of them?

41 to 52 of 52 messages
Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
18/07/2007 at 11:03
My boss is currently sporting road rash and a large bruise on his elbow, plus a bruised hip, as a result of riding on the back of a pace line that crashed from the front. He's now saying the same as me about getting too close to other cyclists!
cougie    pirate
18/07/2007 at 11:08
But chicks love scars !

IronM.in    pirate
18/07/2007 at 11:15
Did a hilly course in the wet on Friday and tired to remember what has been said on here - put in a decent time and some good miles inspite of being soaked to the skin and nervous in the rain.

Just popped back in to say thanks.

Also to whoever it was that said the bike goes where you look - so don't look down! Invaluable advice when I was doing a TT on Monday!
cougie    pirate
18/07/2007 at 11:34
And in other cycling news - the new wheelset from Shimano gets Lab tested :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J32FmLA-qGo
IronM.in    pirate
18/07/2007 at 11:42
Classic.

*hopes guys love scars too cos I certainly seem to be collecting them...*
18/07/2007 at 11:47
"My boss is currently sporting road rash and a large bruise on his elbow, plus a bruised hip, as a result of riding on the back of a pace line that crashed from the front."

Tell him that's what happens to wheel suckers !
18/07/2007 at 12:00
I did already!
18/07/2007 at 12:19
bit late on here due to being away

agree with all that's been said but to me the main key to descending is to be a little mad.............you are either of the downhill persuasion or not - it's down to your fear factor and how much you can take......

also - MTBing in my view helps enormously as it improves your handling skills; your forward vision; and confidence in descending quick............

as they say - it's not the speed you come down at that hurts, it's the sudden stop when it all goes wrong......
Imeccentric    pirate
18/07/2007 at 19:39
Agree wholeheartedly with FB but also would add that all the motorcyclists I know are much better descenders than the non-bikers.
If you want free minutes on the downhill get yourself through a DAS course. Cheaper than a new set of wheels and will get a bigger improvement,
19/07/2007 at 06:13
you forget I'm in Germany!
19/07/2007 at 06:20
Find some fast twisty descents to practice and remove your brake pads. Then you'll have no choice but to learn how to lean over real far to go fast! The only way I could find out how far my bike could lean was to go down some fast twisty descents. Couldn't cut the turns becuase motorcycles were coming the other way. And don't forget its not a knitting club.
19/07/2007 at 06:43
and don't YOU forget I've got brittle bones - when I fall I break! Total of 12 broken bones so far (5 foot fractures. So that's why I'm scared.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
41 to 52 of 52 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.