Strava - Tracking Progress

6 messages
03/04/2013 at 12:13

I joined Strava a few weeks ago and think it's excellent.

Does anyone else use it?

03/04/2013 at 12:26

Yes I use it, but I'm not really getting a lot out of it to be honest. I find all the online stuff rather limiting - Strava, Daily Mile, Garmin Connect etc.

I use Sporttracks offline, which is brilliant and tend to back up to the Run Saturday website, though my shiny new Garmin 910xt uploads to Garmin Connect automatically so I guess that's going on. Every now and then I'll link my Garmin to Strava and do a dump just for the hell of it, look at any segments etc.  but I can't really see value in it for me as a way to track progress.

I guess I'm just too wedded to Sporttracks.

Mr StOat    pirate
03/04/2013 at 14:58
I like to see my slow improvements on local sections. When I first started uploading I was always near the bottom of the lists. I'm climbing up some of them
I find it quite motivating, especially as there are segments leading practically to my front door, so I still want to push on right at the end of a ride
03/04/2013 at 15:53

I use it all the time, I think it is great, especially when you get a KOM.

Just been beaten on 1 hill by a 1 Second, lost my KOM, makes me determined to get it back

i think anything is good if it works as a motivational tool

Its also good to see how you match up to some decent riders

Cheerful Dave    pirate
03/04/2013 at 16:39

I use it all the time, mainly just as a log but segment hunting can be fun.  I've had a few runs that have basically been segment interval sessions, going from one to the next.

It's handy to see how other people are doing, for example Gladys ran 9 miles the other day that included a 20 minute stop at Homebase.  Unfortunately the site doesn't say whether he ran the second half with a shed on his back. 

If you want to analyse the heck out of every ride/run then there are probably better tools out there.

03/04/2013 at 17:04

Wow, I have a stalker!!

And I know the second half was slower, but not a shedload slower!!

I had to buy string for my son's bow! It broke during the school production of Peter Pan!! Ah the joys of parenthood

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
6 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.