Strava vs Garmin accuracy

And how fast is too fast?

21 to 22 of 22 messages
26/04/2014 at 10:24

The discrepancies between Garmin and Strava aren't just down to different GPS receivers on different devices. I use my Forerunner 910XT to log my rides, and the Garmin (and Garmin Connect once it's uploaded) show different max speeds etc than Strava when the exact same data is copied across. On one ride in Spain recently Garmin reckon my max was 36.4, and from the same ride data Strava have it as 37.4. Think it's all down to how they process and smooth out the data. Personally I'm more inclined to go with the Garmin numbers, as they have a few more years of working with GPS than Strava

27/04/2014 at 08:09
Garmin can be set to adjust for elevation, so on a hilly route the corrected distance and speed will be greater than on a flat route. 
I don't think strava applies this adjustment.

Edit: strava does apply an adjustment, but the method may be different to garmin's.
Edited: 27/04/2014 at 08:16

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 22 of 22 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.