Stupid bike tyre /wheel question...

You guys are like the Clair Rayner - Agony Aunts of the TriWorld so I am sure you can help me.

6 messages
BWT
10/10/2012 at 22:59

On cleaning my bike I found a chip of glass in my tyre - I carefully removed it - inner tube intact but I have a 3mm hole in the tyre...  Before I go out again on the road should I replace it?  If I replace it would it be worth buying some winter road tyres - rather than the smooth ones I currently have?

Also I seem to have seen / read that a turbo can eat up tyres - so is it a good idea to buy some turbo training tyres - if so how easy is it to swap between tyres - so I can change from road to turbo tyres - or is it worth buying another set of wheels???

If new wheels are on the horizon what do I buy?  What is reasonable / good to get for a road bike?

My brain is spinning over such matters - rather than my bike wheels so please help.

Thanks In Advance

BWT

cougie    pirate
10/10/2012 at 23:18
No need to replace tyre.

My turbo is fine on tyres - id try it first and see.
PSC    pirate
10/10/2012 at 23:52
To repair the hole in the tyre use superglue.

I don't use a turbo tyre. Check you are not clamping your turbo too tight to the tyre. If you do go down the turbo route get a cheap back wheel and cassette and put the turbo tyre onto it. Switching wheels takes seconds. Switching tyres just ain't going to happen.

Having recently slid off my bike on a greasy corner I would suggest a grippy set of tyres to give you some confidence. No idea what tyres are good though as I've only ever used 1 type of tyre. My current set are just worn out.
11/10/2012 at 10:20

if the rest of the tyre is intact, then do as PSC suggests with glue or/and stick a "tyre boot" inside the tyre.  this is a pieces of soft dense material - some people suggest a piece of old toothpaste tube - that sits between the inner tube and tyre at the spot where the tyre is split so acts as a buffer.  I've run a tyre with one in for about 2 years before I replaced the tyre through general wear - no issues.

I have a turbo wheel with  a turbo tyre so it's easy to swap over as needed.  inexpensive rims and a cheaper cassette kept the costs down

winter/all round tyres that have better puncture protection are worth having especially with all the autumn debris now hitting the roads - I use Conti Gatorskins all year round on my everyday bike.  there's a good up to date review of these tyres on road.cc - http://road.cc/content/buyers-guide/68578-buyers-guide-best-tyres-get-you-through-winter

Edited: 11/10/2012 at 10:21
11/10/2012 at 12:21

+1 for the Conti Gatorskins

17/10/2012 at 00:23

a turbo will eat tyres faster than the road - use your old tyres..

i have a spare wheel

cosmic carbone SL are a good 'entry' level 'proper' wheel

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
6 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.