Stupid question of the day

13 messages
15/02/2004 at 18:22
I would like to do a Triathlon but I have never been able to swim very well except straight to the bottom. I do however really enjoy the running and the cycling bit. Are there any such events held in this country for us land lovers.
15/02/2004 at 18:28
If you don't swimming try a duathlon or a row, bike run triathlon. There are to many events to list but where abouts are you in the country ?
WildWill    pirate
15/02/2004 at 19:54
Or you cud go for swimming lessons
15/02/2004 at 21:21
do some duathlons... which is how i started.. joined a club and naturally progressed to swimming.. badly at first.... now improving.

much fun to be had.
17/02/2004 at 16:49
That's just what I'm hoping to do, try a dualthlon first (got the New Forest one at end of March bookmarked) and maybe a swim tri (a long way) after - but my swimming is useless i'd need a few lessons! I have enough trouble fitting in running and swimming, and weights, at the moment though.
17/02/2004 at 17:37
I saw some rather Dazzling performances in a dry tri at the weekend! heh.

rowing machine, turbo, and treadie!

I rather like the thought of not getting wet or falling off a bike.
18/02/2004 at 13:36
where's the best place to find this years Duathlons?
Bouncing Barlist    pirate
23/02/2004 at 23:47
http://www.britishtriathlon.org/events/index.php

http://www.big-cow.com/
24/02/2004 at 12:13
Not a swimming question but a Stupid Question that I'd quite like answered. My bike only has 14 gears. What happens in a traithlon if I die a death going up a steep hill.

Can I get off and push/run with the bike to the top of the hill or if this not allowed?

Getting nervous for my first Tri.

PPB.
24/02/2004 at 13:47
Ah! Well! On a Blandford Tri about 10 years ago there was a monster hill up to the top of Okeford Beacon, and I remember coming around the bend and seeing the hill with a convoy of cyclists pushing their bikes up the hill.

I think you are allowed to push your bike if necessary.
24/02/2004 at 13:57
Yeah - I saw a few pushing at the Hillraiser duathlon last year as well
Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
24/02/2004 at 16:17
Yep - if you can't make it you can push.
Here in central south Germany there's a famously tough tri in Viernheim with a 15% uphill gradient that appears just as you round a bend! If you don't realise it's coming up, and haven't shifted down in time - you can't make it up there!
25/02/2004 at 09:13
Thanks for the answers. My first triathlon has a really severe hill and I failed to make it to the top in a training run so I may well be pushing come race day this Sunday.

Cheers again

PPB.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
13 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.