Stupid TT Question

Bike Numpty trying to train for Outlaw

21 to 34 of 34 messages
TR
31/10/2012 at 16:45

I seem to remember reading that you set your turbo up so that it takes 10 to 15sec for the wheel to totally stop from pedalling at a decent effort. Works for me, I only use the bike gears to change resistance.

Unless I have at least 90mins then I dont bother going outside apart from commuting. However, I dont see any point in watching TV at a low HR for hours. I did 2 hrs Sunday and it was 10min w/u, 10x(8min effort/2min easy), 10min w/d. Work hard on the turbo and make it into some sort of session and the time passes much quicker. I have other (HR based) sessions i do too.

PP - same happens to me somtimes, its cos you dont get to shift your weight around like you do outdoors.

31/10/2012 at 16:57

I do need to borrow back my turbo that I leant to a (running) club mate in injury rehab, especially if I'm gonna go mad and buy a TT bike, help with setting up and practising position, etc. 

In the mean time, strangely enough, I feel just as comfortable doing a tempo type session on the exercise bike in the gym. The saddles are so ridiculously wide I can perch myself on the front, TT-style, with occasional jiggling to prevent pins and needles.  Something like 1hr incl. 2 x 15mins hard gets me a ridiculous sweat on. The only problem there being the rather antisocial puddles of liquid that form in very interesting places; the gym towel over the monitor mops up most of the facial drips but I get secondary pools generating from my elbows and the backs of my legs when the cycling shorts are completely saturated.  I really am a sweaty bastard.

31/10/2012 at 17:45

"However, I dont see any point in watching TV at a low HR for hours."

likewise.  all my turbo sessions have some structure - a mix of established sessions that I can play around with (gearing, times, cadence) and Sufferfest videos cover most things.  or just working to music tempo (I have a turbo playlist) can see some hard work being done.

"I really am a sweaty bastard."

me also!  what time until the first drip hits the floor is an indication of how hard I'm working  in a cold garage, it's usually around 8 mins on a 30 min session as 5 mins of that will be warmup and then bam into some high intensity to get the 1st drip rolling down.  my missus conversely doesn't puddle the floor anything like I do although she'll be working as hard.

Dustboy    pirate
31/10/2012 at 17:47

It's quite fun seeing how much you can get the garage temperature to go up as well through your efforts. Think I managed about 4 degrees C once

31/10/2012 at 17:57

try it with 2 in there DB - we got it from 4C to 10C in an hour one winter...

31/10/2012 at 18:40

Shame thats not a TOTP Fb...could have taken some explaining

Dustboy    pirate
31/10/2012 at 23:36

Orsum sweating FB. Just wish I coudl run a gennie off it too and feed back into the grid for a few credits, sod solar!

TheEngineer    pirate
02/11/2012 at 12:56
fat buddha wrote (see)

try it with 2 in there DB - we got it from 4C to 10C in an hour one winter...

And that was before you bought bikes, right?

TheEngineer    pirate
02/11/2012 at 13:01

And on topic... I've done and will continue to do 2hr sessions with some frequency on the turbo. I don't see many alternatives for getting the volume I desire save riding in the dark. I've done some of them just looking at the power graph on the Tacx software... 

The Evil Pixie    pirate
02/11/2012 at 15:27

LBS has found a 650 turbo wheel but it's £42 so they are going to make me up a 2nd wheel that's a 700. I won't use it outside so size difference and lack of brakes isn't an issue but it will allow me to easily swap the whole wheel over rather than faff changing tyres. Yes it's more expensive to start with (about £70 ish inc TT tyre) but got to be worth it in the long run.

Also getting some tri bars for £63 - being a complete numpty they help me fit/set up stuff too! I like my LBS

cougie    pirate
02/11/2012 at 15:29

£70 to save you how much on tyres ? You'll get wear on the wheel from riding outside too - are you sure it was the turbo that's done it ? 

TR
02/11/2012 at 17:42

Engineer - is looking at a power graph more interesting than looking at my HRM and garage door ?

The Evil Pixie    pirate
03/11/2012 at 08:44

cougie the tyre went from looking unused to table topped in 6-8 short sessions (45mins max)

new wheel saves me changing tyre the whole time which would probably stop me going out and therefore reduce road time

TheEngineer    pirate
03/11/2012 at 14:01
TR wrote (see)

Engineer - is looking at a power graph more interesting than looking at my HRM and garage door ?

Yeah. I find your heart rate isn't very exciting. No offense

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 34 of 34 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.