Stupid TT Question

Bike Numpty trying to train for Outlaw

1 to 20 of 34 messages
The Evil Pixie    pirate
30/10/2012 at 10:36

OK this is probably a really stupid question ...

Just bought Chrissie Wellington's IM training tracks off Audio fuel and she's talking about what gears to use (OK with that) but then says about adjusting the TT if you can.

I'm always struggling to get my resistence right as I losen it after a session and sometimes have to stop and get off to change this 2-3 times at the start of a session.

Can I just have the fly wheel just touching and use the gears instead or do you have to have the flywheel causing resistence too??

30/10/2012 at 10:50

errm - whatever suits??

there's no hard and fast rule here Pix - and what suits CW may not suit someone else.  they key is to get the benefit of a session no matter how you use the turbo.  if you feel you need to add resistance do so; if not, just have the wheel touching the roller.

our turbos don't have resistance adjustments so we use them just as if we're road riding and use the gears to vary the resistance.  to me that's a much more simple method and still brings rewards so why compicate matters?   

The Evil Pixie    pirate
30/10/2012 at 10:56

oh that's cool! I was worried I was doing it wrong and therefore wasting my time! I'm much happer changing gears

Thanks

cougie    pirate
30/10/2012 at 14:38

The key to it is to make the resistance feel realistic.

If you overdo the resistance you may knacker the tyre too. 

Once you're happy with the resistance you have on the machine - either count how many turns of resistance you put on it, or time how long it takes for the wheel to stop after youve spun up to 20 mph or so. So you can get it to be about the same for next time. 

The Evil Pixie    pirate
30/10/2012 at 17:19

cool

was in LBS today and I they are trying to find a turbo tyre for my tiny 650 wheels but not hopeful so may have to get a spare wheel that's bigger or wear out tyres

Dave The Ex- Spartan    pirate
30/10/2012 at 17:35
Will a bigger wheel fit your frame ?
30/10/2012 at 18:17

Are your tyres wearing that fast EP - plenty of people find there's no need to use a different tyre for turboing - but then plenty find they do - if you are lucky tyre wear might not be an issue.    You probably wont use it that much in Summer anyway so if you don't have expensive soft race tyres on over winter that might help too.   

Dustboy    pirate
30/10/2012 at 18:59

Still trying to figure out how I got a puncture in my turbo tyre last year? WTF? Turbo tyres are quieter if you have the DVD on

cougie    pirate
30/10/2012 at 19:13
Was it heat dustboy ?

The longest session I do is only about an hour and I've not had a flat on the turbo.
Dustboy    pirate
30/10/2012 at 19:39

Ooh, never thought of that. Did a mind rot 3 hour session last year, maybe that was it. I'll retube and see what happens. Cheers.

Running Postie    pirate
30/10/2012 at 19:51
I just use cheap and nasty tyre that I don't care if it gets wore, doesn't cost a fortune to replace
cougie    pirate
30/10/2012 at 19:56
Good god. 3 hours is a huge time. What %hr was that at ?
Dustboy    pirate
30/10/2012 at 20:22

Hmm, think I sat around 140bpm so about 65%, maybe a bit less on average coz I needed to get off for a wee

The Evil Pixie    pirate
30/10/2012 at 22:12

3 hrs? on a TT?

OMG!

Dave the older man in the shop who has forgotten more about bikes than most peeps know thinks the 700s will fit just from the memory of my tiny bike ("suspected 13" frame, blue, enough space for 1 bottle only? Trek isn't it?" - that's customer service for you!!)

I have a definate flat on my tyres already yes which I guess isn't a good thing

K9
30/10/2012 at 22:24
I've once done 3hour turbo when the weather was awful 2 winters ago! No idea how I endured it (watching come dine with me on the telly) ...
1:30 is my max these days
31/10/2012 at 09:29

I have a 2:15 turbo session which I occasionally do in winter if my mind is on it - but that's the longest.  I once did a 3hr session to see what it was like - once was enough to tell me it wasn't worth 3hrs of my life

Dustboy    pirate
31/10/2012 at 10:03

Echo that FB

31/10/2012 at 10:51

My nuts go numb within an hour.  Maybe I need to experiment with different saddles.

31/10/2012 at 15:28

Wasn't it Mouse or Hope that do long turbos sessions when the weather was shite this year?

31/10/2012 at 15:28
PhilPub wrote (see)

My nuts go numb within an hour. 

Dirty boy

1 to 20 of 34 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.