Stupid Turbo question

well I was bound to ask a stupid question eventually

21 to 33 of 33 messages
05/11/2012 at 13:50

surely, it would only matter if you used it ?

Key difference will be positional -  no doubt youd like to be working the aero position at all times ?

Mr StOat    pirate
05/11/2012 at 14:17

Cheers FB, I'll stick to the roadie then, certainly this side of the new year.

Yes, SgtLard - I'd like to get more time in the aero position, but I reckon it will wait

05/11/2012 at 14:29

I always stuck the TT bike on the turbo - ideal opportunity to train on it.   I do agree with FB that staying fixed in that position is hard but you don't have to do the full session in race position.

If I were doing say 2 * 20 minute intervals I'd make sure I did one of them on the tri bars for the full 20 without coming off except perhaps for a drink every 5 minutes, the second one I might do sat up if I had to.    I heard of someone who would do sessions on the rollers on his TT bike - meant he was super smooth on it and the less rocking about you do the more aero you are.

05/11/2012 at 14:38

I can see the benefit pops and before I did IM Florida - flat as a pancake road leg - I did use the race bike to train on the turbo in a TT position.  it was that that told me how bloody uncomfy it was over an extended period which is why I no longer bother!   if the road bike is on there, you can still get low using the drops or leaning on your forearms on the bar (no padding - also uncomfy!)

IronCat5    pirate
05/11/2012 at 17:36

FWIW I use the TT on the turbo over winter, and ride the roadie outside. TT is less comfortable on the turbo than the road unless I'm doing intervals. I guess because there is more weight on the saddle with less power through the pedals.

07/11/2012 at 10:01

morning all. another turbo question on this theme.....

is TT training worse, as good as or better than training on the road?

or none of the above?

the reason i ask is that i seem to remember reading somewhere that 1 hour on the TT was the equivalent of 2 hours on the road due to continuous sustained effort.  however, comparing it to running on a treadmill versus running outside i always seem to get more benefit from being outside....not sure if the 2 are comparable tho...

cougie    pirate
07/11/2012 at 10:17

TT is more intense than being on the road thats true. (if you do it properly)

What it won't bring you is bike handling or endurance (unless you're doing huge sessions) - but if its that or nothing......

I ride through winter unless its icy - then i may go MTBing.  Just being outside at the weekend is of great benefit to me after being cooped up in an office all week. 

I don't think 1 hour of TT is the same as 2 on the road though - thats overselling it. 

Dustboy    pirate
07/11/2012 at 10:35

An hour of TT with no ipod, DVD or even bike computer is, however, infinitely more preferable as a mentally stimulating exercise to the same amount of time in IKEA.

07/11/2012 at 10:48

JD - the 1hr TT/2hr road thing seems to be an accepted "fact" but I have no idea if there is any real science behind that, but the sustained effort maybe the reason.  you freewheel much more when road riding which is minimal when turboing.

as for whether TTing is worse or better than road - that depends on the rider.  surprisingly, quite a few top triathletes now do more training on the turbo (usually top end ones like the Computrainer) than they do road riding.  for flat TT courses and similar, they can develop their power output on the turbo so have measurable stats when hitting the race on road.  Rosey is a big advocate of this and guys like Andy Potts (former world 70.3 champ) do this.  and I guess if you are time poor, or the weather is being typically British in winter, then it's a great way of getting some structured training in without worrying about rain, wind, traffic, debris, potholes, punctures etc - save that for race day!

Dustboy    pirate
07/11/2012 at 11:13

One thing I have found the TT brilliant for is learning to "pedal the circle" As FB says, no worrying about conditions etc.

In theory (well I reckon anyway), if you condition yourself to automatically pedal the circle on the TT, some of it will hopefully rub off on the road.

I tend to go by the noise the TT is making. If the whine is constant, It's about right, but if it oscillates, then I am mashing the pedals. Which isn't right. Anyone think of a better way of explaining it than that?

07/11/2012 at 12:40

thanks all - i feel a litle less 'guilty' about not going out in the fog/rain/wind/cold/ice/dark now over the next few months

07/11/2012 at 13:25

Road or turbo it makes no difference it's all about how long you spend at a given intensity turning the pedals.  

Personally I wouldn't want to do 2 hour plus sessions on a turbo - but in winter it's probably easier to do an hour on the turbo than in freezing rain in the dark.   

meface    pirate
07/11/2012 at 19:54

The gains may also depend on where you are. If you can come out of the house and hit decent riding roads straight away it is of less benefit than if you live in the middle of London where the sheer number of lights and junctions make constant riding near impossible. Hence some on here hit Richmond Park to get in steady riding.

You can generally go flat out on the turbo safer than you can on the road. I've never had traffic risks and issues in the garage. Allows focus on effort rather than staying safe.

I would say that 1hr is easily worth 1.5 hours on the road but 2 may be stretching it. But could be right for inner city folk.

M.eface

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 33 of 33 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.