Sub 10:00...

...well someone had to.

1 to 20 of 641 messages
TheEngineer    pirate
07/11/2013 at 23:20
Okay, well I plan on finishing Outlaw next year in 9 hours something. I'm going to talk about it (and maybe field questions if I'm feeling nice) here. Anybody else like to go fast?
08/11/2013 at 06:41

Me! 

I'm pretty confident I could do any of the legs in under 9 hours! Maybe not the swim.

Iron Pingu    pirate
08/11/2013 at 07:41

Is this the half?

IronCat5    pirate
08/11/2013 at 07:49

I like to go fast but at shorter distances.  

I will mainly be listening to what others have to say but may chime in now and then. 

Scuba Trooper    pirate
08/11/2013 at 07:49

I hope this thread gains enough support to stay at the top of the page. I will lurk and ask questions but not sure I'll have much to offer those already experienced and going sub 10:00.

I'm not ready to go sub 10 yet. My first session was geared towards Challenge Henley this year and I finished in 11:56 with only 9 moths swimming and biking behind me. I hope to be able to make significant improvements over the next few years.

08/11/2013 at 07:57

Is there no way to make it sticky peeps?

08/11/2013 at 08:02

Scuba - well done.

It will be interesting to see what this thread brings to the party, good luck to those working towards a sub 10:00

08/11/2013 at 08:07

Lurks

08/11/2013 at 08:11
M...eldy    pirate
08/11/2013 at 08:14

Well done Dan ...

Buttercup, hopefully the interest will keep it at the top otherwise the point is proven

TheEngineer    pirate
08/11/2013 at 08:31
I don't know if this will stay on the first page but as long as people know where it is, it'll keep rocking up like the bike numpty thread.

A more serious question is whether I'm being reasonable... A PB of 10:59 last year, I was definitely in loads better shape until the June this year (5:05 on a hot and hilly Mallorca course and outlaw half where I did the bike and run of a 4:50. From there various things (mainly arguing with a car) meant my training was almost totally wiped out until IMCH. On a very hot day, and with a few other glitches I managed 11:06.

Personally I was gutted that I hadn't converted early season training (a new concept to me) into a PB - so I think I am due a big PB next year.

I'll be doing Outlaw Half, The Avenger and Outlaw as my main race. I'm also still a bit tempted by IM Mallorca or Wales though...
Cheerful Dave    pirate
08/11/2013 at 08:40

I fear my chances of a sub 10 disappeared with 10:03 at Roth - after improving my swim from 1:24 that day I've never had the same form on the bike, but I'm not ruling out another go, if my consultant lets me do IM again (he had an article in the latest Triathlete Europe, so he's not one of those docs who thinks anything more than a brisk walk is pushing yourself too far).

TE, if you're looking for sub 10 then I suspect that Mallorca & Wales might be pushing it.  Both cracking races though, tempted myself.

TheEngineer    pirate
08/11/2013 at 08:57

Cheerful Dave wrote (see)

I fear my chances of a sub 10 disappeared with 10:03 at Roth - after improving my swim from 1:24 that day I've never had the same form on the bike, but I'm not ruling out another go, if my consultant lets me do IM again (he had an article in the latest Triathlete Europe, so he's not one of those docs who thinks anything more than a brisk walk is pushing yourself too far).

TE, if you're looking for sub 10 then I suspect that Mallorca & Wales might be pushing it.  Both cracking races though, tempted myself.

Don't get me wrong, Outlaw is very much the push for sub 10. The late season branded race would be a (premature, admittedly) crack at getting a lucky rolldown. I know Outlaw is a lot flatter than IMCH, it won't be 43 degC, and it won't be non-wetsuit. I'll cross my fingers for avoiding traffic in the run up!

Edited: 08/11/2013 at 08:57
Cheerful Dave    pirate
08/11/2013 at 09:07

Wales slots have never rolled down very far and the standard at the pointy end is high - lots of folks coming over for an early go at a slot for next year.  OTOH, with Mallorca as a second late-season European race, maybe the talent will be spread a bit thinner in 2014?

08/11/2013 at 09:46

The popular threads seem to be the ones that are more sharing day to day experience than asking for or giving advice.    A daily training thread where people say what they've done and discussion can arise out of that might generate more traffic, if only because most train but not many aim for sub 10 so you'd have a bigger catchment.   Needn't be instead of this thread.

08/11/2013 at 09:50

Dave, at the race opening rate we have, there will be just 1 slot left for the AG winner!

If however the number of slots remains comparable, I think yours is quite a valid point. Interesting how fast the sub10 thread becomes also a Kona qualifier thread

Not that I mind though. Funkin did not help in taking Kona away from my mind with his amazing Blog.

08/11/2013 at 09:52

I do have a question regarding times. How much of this sub10 would be course related?. Is the thread aiming at this timing for any normal IM distance? (obviously mountain marathon races would be out of the question)

Edit:Wrong Spacing

Edited: 08/11/2013 at 09:52
08/11/2013 at 10:12

Good to see this thread starting with a reference to Outlaw, and not just IM-branded events. There's more to life than Kona.

I think the term "sub-10" is a loose one and hope this thread will be a meeting point for people aiming for the pointy end at some stage.

So, I'd like to go (relatively) fast next year, but without the stress of a specific target, and only once I've recovered from this year (which is definitely not yet!). I will be looking forward to learning and sharing on this thread.

Cona    pirate
08/11/2013 at 10:18

I think I'll need to start a sub 10.30 thread first as this is a step to far............

M...eldy    pirate
08/11/2013 at 10:19

Man up Cona   

1 to 20 of 641 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.