Sub 5 hour HIM

Aiming to break 5 hours

21 to 40 of 84 messages
12/11/2012 at 18:54

I'll do those hill sets Gary, there's a perfect hill with no traffic about 15 minutes from here that i do sets on occasionally. I'm actually fine going up hills. Rubbish descending as it happens. Its cruising on a flat at around 80rpm where i struggle for some reason. I'm more comfortable up around 100rpm.

Just received an absolutely perfect condition second hand orca alpha wetsuit for about 25% of the RRP! That should take care of my swimming for next year

14/11/2012 at 12:59

We had a club turbo session last night. Focus was on strength and endurance. Main set was 10 reps of 30s heavy resistance (45-60 rpm) and 4:30 tempo effort (80-90 rpm) with no rest periods. It was tough!

14/11/2012 at 13:25

sounds good - my commute to work today (like most) is biggest gear all the way - 10 miles of 53/11 builds strength

meface    pirate
14/11/2012 at 21:23

It would for me: I have a 1 in 4 on the way home!

15/11/2012 at 10:23

I have a flat one mile walk to work. Bit of a waste bringing the bike. I think your chain would survive about 5 seconds if you attempt that m..eface

15/11/2012 at 10:44

Snapping chains...only every done that in the Lake District on Crab's bike...eerm twice.

Obviously if you've a mountain to climb then you can shift down, or be a stubborn SOB and just power through at a cadence of 5.

Cheerful Dave    pirate
15/11/2012 at 11:29

Or go fixed, and get a big meaty singlespeed chain.

Riding fixed is a bit like your turbo sessions BK - cadence at 90 or so for steady on the flat/undulating stuff, interspersed by a few minutes of heavy resistance getting up the steep stuff, with a short but manic 120+ coming down the other side.  And no rest whatsoever!

15/11/2012 at 11:39

I've thought about getting a fixie in 53/11 but don't think I can justify another bike.

meface    pirate
15/11/2012 at 22:44
B_Kins wrote (see)

I have a flat one mile walk to work. Bit of a waste bringing the bike. I think your chain would survive about 5 seconds if you attempt that m..eface

I have a bike on the turbo trainer that was my first road bike, came off ebay and has 53/39 and a 5-speed 11-15 straight through cassette. So the lowest gear I had was a 39/15. The 1 in 4 was a bit of a bugger and snapepd the chain a couple of times on that hill. Typically ended up doing 4-5 mph and cadence was measured in days rather than rpm.

It is only the North Downs but is proper steep for a short section (Bagden Hill near Polesden Lacy, not the upflat to Ranmore)

M..eface

Cheerful Dave    pirate
16/11/2012 at 14:26
m..eface wrote (see)
It is only the North Downs but is proper steep for a short section (Bagden Hill near Polesden Lacy, not the upflat to Ranmore

Oh, that one.  I ended up going up there on a lunchtime ride when the zigzag was closed in the summer.  I didn't realise it was quite that steep or I'd have gone another way, as I was on my fixie at the time.  I had to get out of the saddle & everything!

meface    pirate
16/11/2012 at 15:09

A fixie - up that hill

I would have to get out of the saddle and off the pedals and little to the right of the saddle and more of an upright posture and a slight pushing position.

Cheerful Dave    pirate
16/11/2012 at 15:49

Hard as nails, me.

Wouldn't you lean forward in that position to maintain the aero benefit?  Come to think of it, I wonder how many watts I'd save by running in an aero position?  It'd be loads compared with that inefficient upright running style I have now.  Those kenyans would taste my dust for sure.

meface    pirate
16/11/2012 at 16:19
Cheerful Dave wrote (see)

Wouldn't you lean forward in that position to maintain the aero benefit?

Probably would lean forward to prop myself up on handlebars! Biked in today - got to face the hill on the way home but mught chicken it and go longer route via Bocketts especially as damp and foggy. Will set lights to max!

17/11/2012 at 09:42

10k road race today. Aim is for a PB but i don't see it happening!

17/11/2012 at 16:04

No PB for me today.. My arms gave up on me after about 2k and it was a struggle the rest of the way. Still got around in 35:11 so I'm happy enough. Not sure if it was giving blood this week or too much swimming that zapped my arms!

Cheerful Dave    pirate
18/11/2012 at 17:10
You won't have recovered fully from giving blood - not enough for a 10k PB, anyway. Not unless you had the blood oxygenated and put back in this morning, that is
18/11/2012 at 22:20

Save that for an 'A' race

24/11/2012 at 18:52

Good session today. Did a 2.5k swim session then 1,500m running repeats. Supposed to be on a track but it was frosted over so we did it on grass instead.

Red_dog_chris    pirate
25/11/2012 at 18:37

I have just entered the Beaver, did it last year and it about killed me off- the run was a real killer. I found this tougher than doing Outlaw so I really want to improve on my time this year. It was the run that killed me off but I think the bike section is where I need to concentrate also. I am doing more hilly runs at the moment and will have a go at the hill repeats you mention Gary. Trouble where I live is it's quite flat so I have to ride quite away to get a decent hill.   

26/11/2012 at 10:21

You can simulate the hills by getting yourself in to as big a gear as possible.

21 to 40 of 84 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.