Sub 5 hour HIM

Aiming to break 5 hours

81 to 84 of 84 messages
16/05/2013 at 10:42

50 hilly miles is what i've been missing most from my training.. Its going to be a tough weekend! The middle distance champs are on Saturday. There's a good chance the swim will be shortened or even changed to a run as the water is only around 10 degrees. We did 500m last night in an aquathon and it was bloody freezing! Hopefully it goes ahead as normal though.

Chances of breaking 5 hours are low. Its a slow course and I'm not feeling at all fit after 2 months out. The bike will destroy me!

TheEngineer    pirate
20/05/2013 at 18:28

How did you do B_Kins? Think I'm going to go for sub-5 at Lanza in October

Edited: 20/05/2013 at 18:29
21/05/2013 at 11:13

Didn't go well for me at all. As predicted the bike destroyed me!

First off, the swim was shortened to about 800m with a strict 20 minute cut off to avoid freezing to death. Out and back, the out was into a small chop and all 350 people in one wave so it was a bit hectic. Coming back was a lot nicer. Left on the bike with the transition area still full of bikes so i was happy with that.

The bike leg was a 93k 2 lap course with a couple of big climbs thrown in. I haven't been on a long bike ride since September so I was worried about it. First lap went well and even ended with a smile for the camera. Once I hit the big climb for the second lap I struggled big time. I couldn't even get into the big ring on a flat for the rest of the bike. Average spped dropped by about 3kph by the time i finished the second lap. Made it around in 3 hours which would have been okay if I had found it easy but i was busted.. Made it through about 5 small gels, a box of fig rolls and a litre of high 5 zero on the bike so nutrition wasn't a problem.

Obviously at this stage any hope of a 1:25 run were out the window. The run was a struggle from the first step to the last. Hips and glutes were in bits by the time i finished but i kept decent form despite running slowly. 1:50 half marathon brought me in around 5:15.

Had I not been injured for the last 3 months i think it would have been different but I still enjoyed the race and the atmosphere. Also it was nice to be running with no care about where i finished! Main thing I've learned is that lots of bike training is crucial. I've an olympic triathlon this weekend and another next weekend which will hopefully go a lot better.

Cheerful Dave    pirate
21/07/2013 at 18:56

Did the Olympic go better B_Kins?  Any chance of a sub 5 later in the year?

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
81 to 84 of 84 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.