Swim Caps

How do you get them to stay on?

21 to 40 of 46 messages
mellifera    pirate
28/06/2010 at 08:26
you can get sort of cloth ones including those with chin straps which would be worth a try.
28/06/2010 at 10:31
Schmunkee - morning shift here at the ready!!  have you tried a light dusting of talc powder - seems to work for me (try the tea tree aus one - its quite fine)
28/06/2010 at 11:10
I don't use a cap in the pool but have heard that talc is good for keeping it on! Plus the goggles over the top should do it surely?  I haven't done enough open water this year to notice an issue with my head shape though.
28/06/2010 at 11:39

Thanks for the sensible suggestions.  Went OW this morning and tried Plum's tactic of getting it wet first and all I can say is that it was like wrestling with a wet kipper.  There was no way it was even going to get on my head, let alone stay there

Will try the talc option tomorrow.

Saffers - i end up looking like a chicken with a flappy bit of latex on the crown of my head.  Not an attractive look when you're trying to pull any of the Hunks In Trunks.

On a positive note and totally unconnected with this thread, I wore my pool goggles to the lake and they did not leak at all  so will be ditching the full-face jobby-things

28/06/2010 at 11:46

LOL......I'm not convinced that any girlie looks attractive to those Hunks In Trunks when in our swim costumes and goggles.......they're not very flattering!

Goggles are a rather personally thing I find.......those big face jobbies don't do it for me!  I struggle to find ones that don't leak and don't fog.  Mine aren't too bad at the mo.....a little fogging at times but no leaking which is a bonus.

I shall try to get to open water swim tonight.  I seem to have a wall up between me and the OW.....don't have a clue why as I am not scared of OW as fairly strong swimmer!  I'm thinking it was swimming when it was bliddy freezing has just put me off the whole idea.  I keep finding reasons not to be there on a Monday.

28/06/2010 at 11:56

I indulged myself at Datchet at the weekend.  There were some Hunks In Trunks (and these were defo good looking with a fine set of abs) getting out of their wetsuits under the showers at the side of the lake and rubbing themselves all over.

Hubba, hubba, hubba

28/06/2010 at 11:58
LOL...I bet there's a bit of fogging going on then.
Gyraffe    pirate
28/06/2010 at 12:03

Er - not sure if it's the same problem but my cap always rises up a bit as I swim. As soon as I realise I just squelch it back down again. My old cap had a small hole in it and didn't rise up at all - so you could try making a small hole and see if that helps.

Does your hat actually fall off or just rise up a bit? Does it matter?

28/06/2010 at 12:18
Waff - it keeps on rising as I swim. to the extent where it almost comes off; the chicken analogy is not an exaggeration.  Admittedly to most people it's probably not an issue, but everything has to be 'just so' for me otherwise it does not 'feel right' and I can't relax and get on with actually swimming.
Gyraffe    pirate
28/06/2010 at 12:19
Is your cap too big?
Gyraffe    pirate
28/06/2010 at 12:20

Do you use a leave in conditioner or something that's making your hair extra slippery? If so, could shampooing before getting in the pool help?

28/06/2010 at 12:21
The night shift is going to be right at the end .... *hands the superglue and the nails*
28/06/2010 at 12:27

Waff - it happens on all my caps, both silicone and latex.  My latest is my Pirate one and that was good for a session or two, now it's just like all the others.  Hence why I am wondering if I have an odd-shaped head. 

I don't use any products on my hair (low-maintenance girl, me) but I have considered wetting hair and cap to see if that helps.

Pkim - I would rather do a Sinaed O'Connor than have the night shift glue and nail the cap in place, thank you very much

Monique    pirate
28/06/2010 at 13:05
Schumkee- I occasionally get the conehead look. I also find the caps a bit big as I am a teenage pinhead. But I use a speedo pace cap which is made from a fabric with plasticky outside which grips better and doesn't pinch like the latex/silicone ones (available from Wiggle about £7) when wearing the pirate one at OW I put a little fold in the back inbetween the upper and lower strap of my goggles which takes care of the conehead look. Maybe this would help yours to stay on?
Farnie    pirate
28/06/2010 at 16:23
FB_Princess wrote (see)
Schmunkee - morning shift here at the ready!!  have you tried a light dusting of talc powder - seems to work for me (try the tea tree anus one - its quite fine)
28/06/2010 at 18:15
Farnie, behave woman
29/06/2010 at 13:06
thats just wrong!  Me thinks Farnie has altered my post.  Defo said "aus" as in AUSTRALIAN tee tree powder.  Gross.
Farnie    pirate
29/06/2010 at 13:09

I know it was norty of me, 

it twas the way my filthy mind read it....

30/04/2012 at 06:23
Which swim cap you have used? I would like to suggest you to use cute swim caps, it may solve your problem.
M...eldy    pirate
30/04/2012 at 18:19
Oh good ... we've waited two years for you to come along with a solution 
21 to 40 of 46 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.